Freedom to Worship

Started by Mnemaxa, February 01, 2010, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemaxa

Military members of Pagan and Wiccan religions given an outdoors worship area by their military base?  Unthinkable! ^_^

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201/ap_on_re_us/us_air_force_academy_earth_religion

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Ket

Why is that unthinkable?  The military has, for quite some time now, been open to all religions.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Brandon

Theres nothing odd about that. When I was in the military it was mostly Roman catholics, jewish, and a few islam but I knew of a few wiccan's (dated one too) and they were given places to worship both on base and on deployment.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

It's certainly nice to hear about such things - I remember getting a warm fuzzy feeling when I heard that the pentagram is allowed to be used on military headstones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Brandon

religious acceptance has changed drastically within the last 20 years. 70 years ago in world war 2 such things would have been blasphemy (pun intended). Even during the Vietnam war I don't think it would have happened. However today with so many court cases happening involving religious symbols and worship the military has to adapt and provide areas to worship for everyone
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Ket on February 01, 2010, 06:56:29 PM
Why is that unthinkable?  The military has, for quite some time now, been open to all religions.

That was more about me being amused than anything else. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Arhys

This is pretty cool news.  There have actually been years of problems now with an overly strong Christian evangelical presence and conversion attempts, lots of complaints from people at West Point and Air Force in particular.  And there were those rifles a weapons manufacturer supplied the army with--complete with Biblical quotes engraved on the lens of the scope, that was just recently changed too.

Oniya

I can't imagine what Bible quotes would be appropriate for the scope of a rifle, even from a Christian point of view. O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lilias

Naturally, all the money here is on the comments. And the comments on the comments.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RubySlippers

Why not Christians serving in a just military action for good should call on Gods favor.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on February 02, 2010, 10:35:40 AM
I can't imagine what Bible quotes would be appropriate for the scope of a rifle, even from a Christian point of view. O_o

Hell, isn't the Old Testament mostly about Jehovah smiting the enemies of the Israelites? (When he isn't smiting Israelites, that is.)

Arhys

They're all being recalled, so at least there was immediate action to address the matter.  Here it is. 

One of the citations on the gun sights, 2COR4:6, is an apparent reference to Second Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads: "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Other references include citations from the books of Revelation, Matthew and John dealing with Jesus as "the light of the world." John 8:12, referred to on the gun sights as JN8:12, reads, "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

The company's vision is described on its Web site: "Guided by our values, we endeavor to have our products used wherever precision aiming solutions are required to protect individual freedom."

"We believe that America is great when its people are good," says the Web site. "This goodness has been based on Biblical standards throughout our history, and we will strive to follow those morals."

Oniya

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 02, 2010, 02:41:12 PM
Why not Christians serving in a just military action for good should call on Gods favor.

I'm not averse to soldiers praying at any time they feel the need, but it seems that the scope of a weapon isn't the most appropriate place to put those prayers.

Avis habilis

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 02, 2010, 02:41:12 PM

Kinda like this?

Oniya

Quote from: Arhys on February 02, 2010, 03:03:18 PM
They're all being recalled, so at least there was immediate action to address the matter.  Here it is. 

Okay - I was envisioning full quotes inscribed somehow (maybe in a ring around the outside or something).  The quotes seem a little non-sequiter-ish, but listing chapter and verse is something I could probably overlook if I were using said gun.  My biggest 'problem' with associating Bible quotes and guns is that - with very few exceptions - Jesus is depicted as a pacifist, who has more in common with Gandhi than with your average unit commander.

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on February 02, 2010, 04:40:39 PM
Okay - I was envisioning full quotes inscribed somehow (maybe in a ring around the outside or something).  The quotes seem a little non-sequiter-ish, but listing chapter and verse is something I could probably overlook if I were using said gun.  My biggest 'problem' with associating Bible quotes and guns is that - with very few exceptions - Jesus is depicted as a pacifist, who has more in common with Gandhi than with your average unit commander.

My biggest issue with it is it means that accusations that this is a "Holy War" against Islam now have some weight behind them, which is worth its weight in gold in propaganda terms.

HairyHeretic

That would be in addition to Bushs crusade comment, and the military briefings with the bible quotes on them?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

consortium11

No doubt... these operations have been repeatedly hamstrung by PR blunders... blunders that may well have cost lives.

HairyHeretic

Well, they certainly won't help matters any.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

National Acrobat

Of course the Earth-Based Religion's site on the Air Force Academy Campus has already been involved in some potential hating.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/02/03/christians-desecrate-wiccan-religious-site-at-air-force-academy/

Carpy

Quote from: National Acrobat on February 03, 2010, 01:49:30 PM
Of course the Earth-Based Religion's site on the Air Force Academy Campus has already been involved in some potential hating.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/02/03/christians-desecrate-wiccan-religious-site-at-air-force-academy/

Isn't it great that had it been any other faith there would have been a huge out cry over it but it down played just because its pagan/wicca.

Jude

From the sound of things all that happened is someone left a wooden cross at the earth religions site.  I couldn't find a more destructive description of what happened, so I'm going to assume there hasn't been a big outcry because it wasn't a big deal.

Oniya

I actually have to agree with Jude here.  The counterexample of 'If someone had left a swastika at the Jewish site' doesn't really scan with me because the Nazi swastika isn't a religious symbol.  (The Hindu swastika is, but it 'swirls' the opposite direction.)  Also, the cross was simply propped up against a rock.  It wasn't pounded into the ground.  It wasn't scorched into the grass.  It wasn't spray-painted onto any part of the site. 

The Puckish part of me would have had the railroad ties broken up and (if not made out of treated wood) set aside for the Beltane fire.  And maybe posted a notice thanking the perpetrators for the donation.

Trieste

x3 - I was thinking earlier this morning that leaving a cross lying around isn't exactly a swastika - although considering how upset some pagans can be about christian crosses and whatnot, I wouldn't go so far as to say the swastika holds more cultural meaning for the jewish community... just different, now.

Carpy

Quote from: Jude on February 13, 2010, 01:56:07 PM
From the sound of things all that happened is someone left a wooden cross at the earth religions site.  I couldn't find a more destructive description of what happened, so I'm going to assume there hasn't been a big outcry because it wasn't a big deal.
Quote from: Oniya on February 13, 2010, 02:19:59 PM
I actually have to agree with Jude here.  The counterexample of 'If someone had left a swastika at the Jewish site' doesn't really scan with me because the Nazi swastika isn't a religious symbol.  (The Hindu swastika is, but it 'swirls' the opposite direction.)  Also, the cross was simply propped up against a rock.  It wasn't pounded into the ground.  It wasn't scorched into the grass.  It wasn't spray-painted onto any part of the site. 

The Puckish part of me would have had the railroad ties broken up and (if not made out of treated wood) set aside for the Beltane fire.  And maybe posted a notice thanking the perpetrators for the donation.

True, but I doubt the meaning behind placing to cross there was anything less then a stab at the pagans/wiccans and had some thing similar been done to a mosque or a church that there would have been a greater out cry over it.