(5e DnD) Out of the Abyss Small NC/Bondage (Party currently full)

Started by TheMorningstarOption, March 30, 2016, 12:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMorningstarOption

Setting:

OOC Thread
Character Thread
IC Thread

Drip

Drip

Drip

You slowly blink the weariness from your eyes, looking up at the scalloped ceiling. There are other people here with you, that much is evident, but you've been captured. As far as you've seen, there's no way out from this situation, you have no idea how long you've been here or even how long you've been unconscious. It's up to you to attempt to find your way out of this predicament. As you look around, you can see a number of different people locked in the same cell, but none of them seem as eager as you.

Game:
I've been looking to take part in a game running the module Out of the Abyss for some time. Unfortunately, it appears that I came a little late to the party to join the one that was advertised her previously, but that does give me the opportunity to run a game of my own. At the moment, I'm looking for a party of roughly 4-5 players who are able to post multiple times per week (I've noticed that play-by-post games tend to drag and people lose interest quickly if the posting rate is any slower than this).

Tone and Theme
Out of the Abyss is essentially a dark DnD take on an Alice in Wonderland story. It can be quite a dark narrative at times, but has more than its fair share of whimsy and levity. With a blend of seriousness and ridiculousness, I'd call it a game that is dark and has moment of real horror without dipping into being grim or gritty.

Characters
As far as rolling characters, anything located in the Players Handbook or Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is more than welcome. As far as Unearthed Arcana is concerned, simply ask me before getting your heart set on it, as some of the builds they've put up (Looking at you, Variant Ranger) are kind-of ridiculous. A balanced party in terms of skillsets would be nice, but honestly 5E runs pretty well with just about any party compilation, so please don't feel like you have to roll a certain class to fill a niche. Occassionally its exciting when a player party has some glaring gaps in their abilities.

Applying
If you're interested in playing, simply shoot me a PM including the following:
Name: Character name
Race and Class: Just an idea of what type of loadout you're going for
Playstyle: You don't need to get into specifics, just give me an idea of their attitude and how you'd like to play them
Background: A rough idea of the character background, again, you don't need to write a novel or anything.

This is just to get an idea of who might be interested and what directions they're leaning in. I'll ask the interested parties for a full character sheet if there's enough interest to get the game off of the ground (which there appears to be).

As far as the rest of the particulars of the game, I feel like that's something we can discuss as we work out exactly who's playing and what kinds of characters they're rolling up.
O/O

freeko

I could take my Cleric meant for another game that seemingly fell through and run her through this, just gotta ignore her gear that she has for the most part to fit into the game.

Let me know if you are interested in this character. I guess it will be interesting to see how a Cleric without a Divine Focus is able to do anything of relevance.

If anything needs to be adjusted, just let me know.

Faeli

Me! Me! Me!

Jumps up and down, waving her hand back and forth frantically

Chulanowa

I'm in! Would love to see a 5E game that catches traction.

Hexed

TheMorningstarOption

Thanks for the rather immediate interest.

Out of the Abyss is somewhat unique as it provides a tone that can be both terrifying and hilarious, as a GM I'll be attempting to walk the same lines.

If anyone would like to pitch character concepts, please feel free to pm me.
O/O

Hexed

I know you've said just what's in the player's handbook and SCAG but are there any races that people would rather not play with/alongside?

For instance I know some people dislike halflings/gnomes/dwarves because of how small they are among other things.

Sadly work calls so it'll be a bit before I reply again but at the moment I'm thinking of  a something warlock of the fae pact. But I'll be getting SCAG to go through so that might change with the options available. :)

Chulanowa

Well, I for one like halflings, gnomes, and dwarves. it's the constant parade of tieflings and elves that make me want to throw myself off a cliff  :P

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Faeli

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 30, 2016, 06:06:52 AM
Well, I for one like halflings, gnomes, and dwarves. it's the constant parade of tieflings and elves that make me want to throw myself off a cliff  :P
*pouts*  Right in my feelings!

freeko

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 30, 2016, 06:06:52 AM

.. Wonder if it is too late to change my character over to an elf..?

Chulanowa

Muse

I'm sure I'm too late to get in here, but I'm writing up two aplications after breakfast: A wizard (Bladesinger) and a druid. 

Will work some more on it after breakfast. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheMorningstarOption

Thus far nothing in particular is grabbed up. As far as creation goes, I'm not looking for a full character sheet right off the bat, but if you're looking for something to work on, I had intended to use the standard 27 point buy.
O/O

TheMorningstarOption

That was the intent. I've run a number of games before online and off and party composition had tended to swing heavily male. I was interested in trying something different. Not completely ruling out the possibility of male PCs, but definitely prioritizing female characters.

As I mentioned in the top post, I'm also limiting the game size to around 4 or 5 characters as more than that can occasionally get unwieldy  (I run a game offline with 7 PCs, very little gets done) and Out of the Abyss provides the opportunity for a number of NPC party companions as well.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmmm, ok. I likely apply with a male char, just need ponder on class and race though.

ShadowFox89

Peeking in with interest. Not usually one for FR, but I've been running more than playing lately.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheMorningstarOption

So as I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking for a smaller-sized group than most group games, so I've edited the title of the game to reflect that. To elaborate, this game isn't really first-come-first-serve, I'm hoping that we can build a team who can play well with one another and draw out an interesting story. We've had 9 people interested in those spots thus far, I just didn't want to discourage anyone from sending in a character concept.

As far as the style of the game, once we build the party, I believe we can have a discussion on how harsh the PCs would like the game world to be, the degree of smuttiness of the game (we are on an adult site, after all), etc.
O/O

freeko

Would splitting the interested people into two separate games be a possibility?

AndyZ

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=768024

Half-elf Paladin.  Here's my trinket roll:

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 1d100
Comment: Trinket
Result: 83,
Total: 83
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ershin

I'm interested in applying but haven't had any real experience in making / playing characters in 5e. Have the core book but never really had a chance to play around with it. Would you be willing to accept an application from a newbie to 5e?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheMorningstarOption

Please pitch any characters you might want to try, experience isn't at all a factor here.
O/O

freeko

Quote from: Ershin on April 01, 2016, 02:59:48 PM
I'm interested in applying but haven't had any real experience in making / playing characters in 5e. Have the core book but never really had a chance to play around with it. Would you be willing to accept an application from a newbie to 5e?

Thats pretty much me in a nutshell as well. Certainly did not stop me from throwing up a fairly basic character pitch.