The Ancient Curse

Started by Lady Jenn, September 27, 2015, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkleather

"A key? OK?"

Geoff went back into the bedroom and started searching again.  The mess he had left made it quite tricky to see where he had already been, so after a while he started to go over the room again more methodically

Lady Jenn

"Lehmann, I'm sending you a picture," Kirk said. "Take it upstairs to Geoff."

"Geoff," he said, walking into the room where the neighbour was. "You seen anything like this before?" He showed his phone, on the screen of which was an image of the dead woman with a strange silver arrow-shaped object in one hand. "Apparentely they're keeping it in the evidence locker, the family claims they've never seen it before."

Darkleather

Geoff took a look at the picture

"No, that's weird.  An odd thing to have around the house"

Lady Jenn

"You have any luck?" Lehman asked as he studied the picture. "There must be some hint at least."

In one corner of the room was a strange trunk half-hidden under the bed, but Lehmann seemed to have missed it.

Darkleather

"No, nothing at all - though the place is in a bit of a mess, so I might have missed it."

Geoff pulled the trunk out from under the bed

"Have you tried in here yet?"

Lady Jenn

"I didn't even know it was there," said with a laugh as he opened the trunk.

At first there seemed nothing remarkable in the trunk, but after taking some clothes out, at the bottom of the trunk, there was a book heavily inlaid in gold.

"I'm gonna take a wild guess she wasn't an avid antiques collector?"

Darkleather

"As far as I was aware she didn't do anything apart from watch MasterChef, argue about soap operas and moan about the neighbours cat.  Wow that thing must be worth a fortune"

Lady Jenn

"Agent, you're going to have a hard time believing this," Kirk said suddenly. "But the cover translates to The Book of the Dead."

"Well your friend is definitely into more than Masterchef," Lehmann said, biting his lip. "I think we need to find this key, whatever happened here is beyond the boundaries of a run of the mill serial killer."

Darkleather

"Hold on, wasn't that the book from The Mummy?"

Geoff has a look at the book, to see if there's a recess on the front of it

Lady Jenn

"Imagine the book from The Mummy but about a hundred times worse," Lehmann replied. "The reality of the supernatural side of the world is a hell of a lot less glamorous than the films imply they are." Suddenly he had a lightbulb moment. "Geoff, does this house have a basement or an attic by any chance?"

Darkleather

"Well if it's got the same floor-plan as mine there should be an attic crawlspace and a small basement."

Geoff went out and opened the door under the stairs

"Yup - there it is"

Lady Jenn

"Do you fancy coming down with me?" Lehmann asked with a nervous laugh. "Having found out what this lady has been keeping under her bed I'm not so keen on going into a dark room by myself any longer. Unfortunately my glasses aren't fitted with night vision yet," he said with a wry laugh."

Darkleather

"You're scared of the dark?  IS the big bad FBI man scared of the dark?"

Geoff grinned

"Of course I'll head down with you"

Lady Jenn

He took a deep breath to stop himself getting angry, realising it wasn't worth it.

"If you knew what I would you wouldn't go round spending time in dark rooms if you had a choice, believe me."

Darkleather

"Sure, Mulder - want me to go first?"

Geoff saw that he had touched a nerve and mentally filed that note away - clearly these FBI agents weren't the rough, tough guys that turned up on TV.

Lady Jenn

He pulled out his torchlight and headed down two sets of stairs which led into a large room. A quick scan of the room enabled him to find the light switch. When their eyes adjusted to the sudden light Lehmann let out a gasp. In the middle of the room was a table, at the centre of which was the chain of the medallion, minus the medallion, and an object similar to the one found on the woman.

"I think it's time we regroup at HQ and find out what's going on," Lehmann said, walking over and staring at the object. "This is weird even by SPAIA standards, and that's an achievement."

Darkleather

Geoff walked up to look at the table

"So where's the medallion?  And what is that weird thing?"

He reached his hand out to grab the silver arrow and get a closer look at it

Lady Jenn

"My guess is whoever killed her found the medallion but didn't feel the need to take the necklace."

Lehmann took the silver object from Geoff and gave it a quizzical look.

"It reminds me of something," he said thoughtfully. "But...it can't possibly be that."

Darkleather

"Possibly be what?  Say, did your training include a course on Cryptic Utterances?  Because you do it a LOT!"

Lady Jenn

"He's being cryptic cos we're all hoping he's wrong," Kirk said through the comms unit. "If he's right, death obsessed Egyptian priests are the least of our problems."

Darkleather

"They were a death-obsessed Egyptian priest?  And here was me thinking that the worst they did was cheat badly at Yahtzee."

Geoff paused

"This is WORSE?  so what are we talking about?"

Lady Jenn

"Kirk, bring up a close-up view of the object," Lehmann said as a large holographic image appeared in front of them. All along it was strange writing carved into it. "Fuck, this is exactly what I thought."

"What's a Fragment of Yggdrasil doing in the middle of a house hiding the Egyptian book of the Dead?" Kirk asked.

"I don't know," Lehmann replied, panic written across his face. "But it's not going to be anything good."

Darkleather

"Yggdrasil?  Isn't that Norse?"

Geoff peered at the writing despite the fact he would have no chance of actually reading it

"Someone getting their mythology mixed up?"

Lady Jenn

"I've seen Norse runes before," Lehmann replied. "Reading them is one of the first thing SPAIA teaches you."

He put it back on the table for a moment and scratched his chin thoughtfully.

"We really need to get this stuff back home, like I said, nothing about this being here is good news for us."

Darkleather

"That's the first thing?  Damn you guys must have a very long boring training course."

"So, what now?  Do you get out the Proton Blasters and crank up Ray Parker Jr?"

Geoff looked at Lehmann  "Yeah, OK, I bet you get that all the time."