Open-endings... Questionnaire help wanted

Started by mrsjaz, November 18, 2012, 09:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsjaz

Hi all, I am thinking about using a questionnaire to start a role-play in the future. (I’m sure I have seen this done already on E, I have had a good search and not found it yet)

So... are there questions that anyone wants to add to my list that could help me? I know it needs to be refined and corrected so any of your suggestions and comments are welcome.

Sample questionnaire questions

1)Who do you like to play?  e.g. M or F Any?  Age limits, Favourite character (link if possible please)     

2)Are you new to writing role- plays?

3)Are you new to writing?

4)What is your writing style?
e.g. Short, punchy posts that move the game forwards. Mostly past tense, no use of chat/text speak. Grammar and spelling average to good. Love imaginative character creation, that is non perfect in nature. Adaptable but no god mod.     

(If you don’t know or need help to get to know your style we can help with this.)

5)What don’t you like in a role-play? eg. No plot. People who get their kicks and then leave and not finish the story. Slowpace.Fast pace. BDSM.

6)Have you any GM/Mentor experience?

7)Do you need a mentor?

8)Do you want constructive guidance from more experience people?

9)How often can you post?

I have left off "name" and other more basic details for now, as I am seeking more probing questions. ;)

If you need to know what the rp is about in order to help me with this then just give me a pm.  ;)

Ooh I hope I've posted in the right place  ;D

"... And she looked at me with big brown eyes and said, you ain't seen nothin yet."
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

JackWhite

It could go here as well. Maybe it's the more logical thing.

mrsjaz

Quite right jack, thanks for that. I shall ask a mod to move my post there.
"... And she looked at me with big brown eyes and said, you ain't seen nothin yet."
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: mrsjaz on November 18, 2012, 09:15:16 AM
Hi all, I am thinking about using a questionnaire to start a role-play in the future. (I’m sure I have seen this done already on E, I have had a good search and not found it yet)

So... are there questions that anyone wants to add to my list that could help me? I know it needs to be refined and corrected so any of your suggestions and comments are welcome.

Sample questionnaire questions

1)Who do you like to play?  e.g. M or F Any?  Age limits, Favourite character (link if possible please)     

2)Are you new to writing role- plays? Y/N

3)Are you new to writing? Y/N

4)What is your writing style?
e.g. Short, punchy posts that move the game forwards. Mostly past tense, no use of chat/text speak. Grammar and spelling average to good. Love imaginative character creation, that is non perfect in nature. Adaptable but no god mod.     

(If you don’t know or need help to get to know your style we can help with this.)

5)What don’t you like in a role-play? eg. No plot. People who get their kicks and then leave and not finish the story. Slowpace.Fast pace. BDSM.

6)Have you any GM/Mentor experience?

7)Do you need a mentor?

8)Do you want constructive guidance from more experience people?

9)How often can you post?

I have left off "name" and other more basic details for now, as I am seeking more probing questions. ;)

If you need to know what the rp is about in order to help me with this then just give me a pm.  ;)

Ooh I hope I've posted in the right place  ;D

I suspect you might benefit from asking the following.
Are you familiar with the genre?
Are you familiar with the setting (assuming you're using a published or "common knowledge" one)?
How much sexual content would you expect to be in an RP, compared to the total of IC posts?
Would you prefer plot guidance, or creating your own plots?
Would you prefer playing with a strong or relatively "hands-off" GMing role?
Have you got any pet peeves, RP-wise?
Are you familiar with the system (assuming it's not freeform)?
That's all I can think of for now.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

mrsjaz

Thufir, given the limited information I presented, some of the questions you’ve suggested were excellent. Also they’ve made me think about ideas I’d not addressed at all!

So thanks, they have proved very useful.  :-)
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: mrsjaz on November 20, 2012, 10:30:11 AM
Thufir, given the limited information I presented, some of the questions you’ve suggested were excellent. Also they’ve made me think about ideas I’d not addressed at all!

So thanks, they have proved very useful.  :-)
These are just the things I discuss with my tabletop groups before we start with a new campaign, especially when we have new players.
Glad they've been helpful, though. Also, there are a few more things I forgot. It's probably because we haven't had the need to discuss them for a while. (That happens when you know where each of you stands, and the new people haven't formed an opinion yet, while the rest you have to discuss again every time you change the genre of the game :P).

What is your attitude towards character death?
Is a character being maimed or captured a no-go for you (assuming a grittier action content here)?
Do you feel the characters should be heroes, or get a chance to earn a place among heroes?
Is the setting just a backdrop for the characters, or do you expect it to be a living, breathing world (I should stress that no answer is wrong here, but they're clearly different)?
Do you like social mechanics or not (still assuming a system here, as it's my go-to mode)?
Do you like personality mechanics or not (still assuming a system here, as it's my go-to mode)?
Do you like shared narrative mechanics or not (this one is even more important in freeform, since there's no rulebook to tell you how much of it is expected >:))?
How do you feel about in-fighting between player characters?

I think now the list is more or less full. That's what I would discuss with new players who have RPing experience. As I said, people that are new to RPGs often have no opinion on the matters until they play for a while. Then of course, sometimes they do ;D!
Again, hope that helps.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

mrsjaz

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 20, 2012, 12:25:27 PM
Do you like shared narrative mechanics or not (this one is even more important in freeform, since there's no rulebook to tell you how much of it is expected >:))?

:-[ :-[ :-[ I should have said in my last post it was freeform, oops!  ;D
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

Thufir Hawat

No problems, and it's still even more important in freeform ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!