Request Thread: Here
O/O’s: Here
A/A’s: Here

xPeof

24,800 Words. *Insert Not Bad meme*
To desire there must be lust
To love there must be trust

Ziether

My father is likely looking at this number and asking me why I haven't been reading enough to make it higher. The burden of having an English teacher for a father.
Under Emergency Maintenance

VashtiDreamer

I feel like that's an underestimation.

Also, why so many archaic words on that test... lol
Current Response Schedule: None.

Current Status: Not Seeking partners or Rps.

Ons/Offs

Princeling

I got 29,100.

Lots of the words I’ve recognized were specifically from video games taking place in a medieval fantasy sort of period. And people say they rot your brain!

Atucan1983

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 28,700 words.
I also felt dumb reading the last columns...always more to learn. The problem with a lot of the words is that I can define them but using them in writing or speech....that doesn’t really happen very much.

Phoenixrisen

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:

I felt like a dolt for not remembering a few of the definitions because some of those words, at least on my quiz have definitely made it into a word of the day entry...
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Adrasteia

32,500. Could be better, could be worse. I'd heard quite a lot but don't know the actual definition, I've just inferred the gist from the surrounding text.

I was going to say that I'm sure some of them were made up, but all words are made up in some sense or another...

MisledBloodshed

Amaris

It's not huge, but I'm generally really good at figuring out the meanings of words from the context they are used in. I did have a hard time not clicking the words I had seen before but didn't know an exact definition.

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=10046538

Chaelrishe

I got 35,400.

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=10047286

I managed to impress myself a little, but that last column seems to make fools of us all. I'd love to be able to use those kinds of words, though, if only I could find the kind of dictionary that had them.

Ingexthefuryhunter1

LostInTheMist

41.4k.

But let's be completely honest, how many do we actually use on a daily/monthly/weekly basis?

It's like tenses in Spanish. There are 27 tenses, and 6 ways to conjugate each verb in each tense. And irregular verbs in every tense. But only seven tenses are really ever used. (When my 11th Grade Spanish teacher started in on "Perfect Imperfect" I said, (in Spanish) "My God, you have got to be kidding me.") And the plural,  third person, familiar is only used in Spain, really.

So it winds up being, most often, five ways to conjugate verbs in seven tenses, so only 35 different conjugations depending on what you're writing, how you are doing it, what you are intending to say, etc.

It's a lot more complicated in English, so they say, since almost every verb is irregular. But we only have a handful of tenses. I think that's just a way to make us feel superior.

EDIT: I am, however, a native English speaker, and a non-native speaker may (probably does) have a different PoV.

EDIT 2: I'd love a test like this that also included fake words, so as to find cheaters.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated February 23, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: All systems green. Posting is being brought up to current.

Envious

24,700 words and I'm wondering if all of the ones listed were real words  :P

Chanti

Thanks again for refusing to have a tv cause it turned kids brains to mush, Mom. :)

Reading was my luxury of time.

Still is. My reading - and the variety thereof - is legend amongst my friends and family.

Lady Onyx

Not bad, I expected a bit higher but I'm not at all disappointed.

gscmar64

Not bad for someone who's constantly dropping thing onto his head or bumping it against steel shelving!

Hob

35, 500, which puts me somewhere around the 80th percentile for my age. Not bad. Used to know a lot more, I think, but the old brainpan's not what it used to be,,,

legomaster00156

27.8K, within the 60th percentile for my age.

solkar

Not too bad for a non-native speaker I suppose.

KatieBower

I think all that time reading the dictionary in order to get better at playing scattegories did me some good.

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=10448088

Incidentally, if you're wondering what sort of dictionary has words like inveigle, tatterdemalion, canticle and estivation in it, it's this dictionary, I put the copy of Lord of the Rings next to it to provide a sense of scale:

Funnily enough I had to use it three times when reading LOTR. For the words glede, vambrace and besom. None of which were in my standard websters. Like, wtf, Tolkien?

Madam Striga

Feel like I need to work on mine >x<

I got 26,400

Roleplay Frog

QuoteYour total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Hey, not bad for a second language, I guess. Amusingly my latin and D&D Roleplaying helped a little. Still felt like they made up some of those words <.<

Sye

Not bad for English being a second language as a kid. Hooked on phonics worked for me! XD