Mechanika by Gaslight - Steampunk World of Darkness RP Planning/Interest Thread

Started by LordImperial, January 28, 2013, 07:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordImperial

Okay, so I have an idea for a Steampunk World of Darkness chronicle which incorporates elements of the Classic World of Darkness (Vampire: the Masquerade/Victorian Age Vampire, Werewolf: the Apocalypse/Werewolf: the Wild West, Mage: the Ascension/Mage: the Sorcerers' Crusade, Wraith: the Oblivion/Wraith: the Great War, and Changeling: the Dreaming/Dark Ages: Fae) with the system and elements of the new World of Darkness (Vampire: the Requiem, Werewolf: the Forsaken, Mage: the Awakening, Promethean: the Created, and Changeling: the Lost), in a setting inspired by Castle Falkenstein, Deadlands: the Weird West, Space: 1889, TORG's "Nile Empire/Terra" cosm, and Crimson Skies, with some inspiration from Shakespeare as well, specifically the 1995 film Richard III, starring Sir Ian McKellen.

I'm still hammering out the details of Mechanika by Gaslight: A Winter of Discontent Under Crimson Skies, but I can tell you this:  The year is 1939.  The United States (which stopped at the Mississippi River after the Great Ghost Dance ritual brought about the destruction of St. Louis, Missouri, not long after the War of 1812) collapsed into several smaller nations the size of European countries in January of 1930.  The chronicle itself is set in Orlando, capitol of the Imperial Republic of Florida, which also controls Cuba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and the former US Virgin Islands (but notably not Haiti and the Dominican Republic), and is currently hosting the exiled King George VI of the British Empire and his family after a coup in 1937 restored his brother, King Edward VIII, to the throne, until Royal Navy officers loyal to George can muster the support to stage a counter-coup d'etat.  The focus of the chronicle is largely on the werewolves, mages, fae, wraiths (Risen wraiths, specifically, known to the other supernaturals as "Harrowed," much to the wraiths' dismay) and Prometheans, but vampires are allowed with special permission - PM me with a concept if you really want to play one of the Kindred.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm this sounds very interesting, Just to throw in my two cents I think NWOD would fit this better.

LordImperial

There are parts of the CWoD that I prefer over the NWoD setting, but I really like the NWoD system.  I've found good rule conversions for Changeling: the Dreaming and Wraith: the Oblivion to the NWoD system, and the "conversions" for Masquerade to Requiem, Apocalypse to Forsaken, and Ascension to Awakening are mostly flavor text differences - I'm using the Vampire Translation Guide to convert Masquerade Clans into Requiem Bloodlines, the Werewolf Translation Guide to convert Apocalypse Tribes into Forsaken Lodges, and preemptively converting Ascension Traditions and Conventions into Awakening Orders before the Mage Translation Guide comes out, whenever that happens.

So essentially, I'm using the NWoD with some CWoD flavoring.

Phaia

Great Idea though I have nothing at all from the world of drakness series...I always did like the Deadland setting as well as Space 1889, I played a tiny bit of crimson skys minitures... and did a bit in Castle Falkenstein...

What won me though was Orlando...i live in central Florida and love the area...course during that time O'Town was a cowtown/orange grove area ...rail stop...love the idea though

count me in if you have a way I can work a character up!!

Already have an idea even

Phaia

LordImperial

I grew up down in Palm Beach County, but spent most of my first year in the Navy in Orlando, back when Baldwin Park was NTC Orlando.  I always wanted to move back to O-town, and never had the chance, until 2010 when my wife took a promotion and transfer in her job.  We moved down from Gainesville, and we've been here ever since - and from my apartment, we can hear the Hulk riding the coaster rails through the loops better than we can hear the traffic on Kirkman Road.

In any case, Phaia, shoot me a PM with your idea.  Once I get the final conversions finalized (I'm working a bit of custom stuff from Ex Libris Nocturnis into the Changeling conversion, and some material from ShadowNEssence and AscensionNova into the Mage conversion), I'll post up the docs for character creation.

Marie Reynolds

Cool, So I would be interested still and may i pm you with my concept and if the entitlement i would like to go would work.

LordImperial

Just to let you know, a lot of C:tL isn't getting used.  I'm borrowing some of the Contracts to be used as Dominion Cantrips for the converted Dreaming/DA:F rules, and Entitlements will still be used, though they're more Secret Societies than Entitlements.  The Others (Gentry) and the Hedge still exist, but the Others are the Fomorians instead, and the Changelings are more Dreaming-style (fae souls in human bodies) than Lost-style (transformed humans escaping from the Gentry).  We'll be using Dreaming-style kiths (dropping the Dreaming-style seemings, though).

Marie Reynolds

LordImperial

Marie Reynolds

Well since your going more owod with it i can run with my clurichan shadow court anti hero.

Phaia

Marie Reynolds

LordImperial

RubySlippers

Can I play a character built on the Sorceror (Revised) rules I'm not up to playing a proper mage but they can still be amusing from dabblers in static reality (cutting edges of technological theory) to psychics. But no use considering offering options without an okay from the ST.

LordImperial

Use World of Darkness: Second Sight for hedge wizards and psychics.  Incidentally, you can still be affiliated with one of the Orders as a Hedge Wizard.

RubySlippers

I thought this was to be OWoD more it seemed from the list of source books leaning that way. Its fine but the rules you want me to use are fine though. I have some fun ideas rolling around in my naughty little head I have the current rules handy to for the WoD.

It will be an interesting character whichever way I go.

LordImperial

We'll be using the NWoD system with OWoD flavoring (and in the case of Changeling: the Dreaming and Wraith: the Oblivion, converting the OWoD games over to the NWoD system).  I'll post up the specifics once everything's ready.  I'm probably also going to create a collection on Scribd for all the appropriate books and documents.

RubySlippers

LordImperial

Wow.  I've just noticed that everyone involved in this thread so far lives in Florida...

Now, for some additional information... in the Deep Dreaming (which is accessible primarily by Changelings, but also Mages and Werewolves with the right abilities), there are three large realms which can be visited:  Oz, Wonderland, and Neverland...

RubySlippers

Well it IS in Orlando, Florida. So of course Floridians and our native Crackers would like it more than other games.

LordImperial

What makes this particularly amusing to me is that I had actually been originally planning this chronicle as a LARP, provided I could get players, and I still may run it as a LARP separately from the Elliquiy-based chronicle.

Marie Reynolds

Would this be troupe or with Camarilla fan club if you did it in larp?

LordImperial

Strictly troupe.  I used to be a member of the Camarilla Fan Club/Mind's Eye Society, but let my membership lapse after a less-than-positive experience with the local domain.  Ironically, most of the people who caused that experience have also left the org and joined the SCA.

Anon315

I was wondering how I could have missed this thread this long, until I found it had only been up two days. Lots of posts for two days. Given the likelihood of interaction with the fae, I might be inclined to rock an Acanthus mage. Even going into one of the legacies that espouses fae belief.