News:

Main Menu

My Dog....

Started by LostInTheMist, August 01, 2015, 02:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTheMist

I love my dog. She has many names. (Beliwdebeast, bear, wubbles, etc.) Her real name is Lucy. But she has some strange quirks. She's totally deaf now, which is not uncommon in Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dogs her age. But that's not what makes her quirky.

If we put food in her bowl, she will stand next to her bowl and bark, until we pour some of the food from the bowl on the floor and send a few pieces shooting in her general direction so that she can catch them and eat them. I guess it's predatory instincts. The thing is that she is perfectly capable of eating out of her bowl. She does so when she is particularly hungry, and whenever we put something special in her bowl. But whenever there is nothing special in her bowl, and she is just regularly hungry, she expects us to scatter her food on the floor and flick a few pieces in her direction so she can hunt them down.

She also barks at horses (any four legged animal really, but especially horses) on our TV. We're fairly sure that this is because, in her mind, horses are smaller than she is (because they are smaller on TV) and that if she ever met a real horse, she would hide.

She has several other amusing quirks (and she demonstrates an unusual intelligence as well) and I'll share these with y'all later.

What quirks do your pets have? Any pets are fine. Cats, dogs, turtles, pigs, etc.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Mathim

When I was living with my foster parents we had an Australian Shepherd named Henry. I loved that dog, he was so friendly and cuddly, I really miss him.

But he would shoot up like a firecracker and bark his fool head off whenever he heard a doorbell ring, as if it was some kind of Pavlovian reaction, and occasionally I would ring the bell on purpose just to watch him go. He'd bolt down the hallways, even if it meant he would occasionally end up slipping on one of the rugs and crashing into the walls (depending on the angle his paws would hit them at) but he'd continue racing up to the front door and jumping up at it with his forepaws so he'd be standing upright using the door for support. Crazy fella.

He'd also be confrontational to other dogs, regardless of size difference, whenever I had him on the leash and take him for walks in the park. But if I ever took him off the leash, those very same dogs then became his best friends. So weird how one little device can completely change how a dog thinks about other dogs.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Thumper

We have two dogs a cat and a kitten. We aren't sure what kind of dogs they are, one was a rescue the other came to us as a stray. De Oh Gee was the rescue. He's a monster. Even as a pup he was pretty big. And now that he's older he's even larger. He has this habit of greeting me at the door sitting down wiggling allover after I get off a long shift. Planted in one spot he wiggles waiting for permission to say hello. Baring his teeth like he's mad, but it seems like a smile.

He doesn't mind the cats or kittens. But he doesn't take any crap either. And apparently doesn't feel pain. The kitten when she first met him hissed cause he was sniffing her like dogs do, spun around and laid his nose open with her claws. He just kinda cocked his head to the side as if to say "I poop bigger than you." And with blood dripping from his nose he reached out with his paw and just held the kitten to the ground. Didn't growl, didn't go after her, just held her to the ground staring at her while she hissed screamed and tried to wiggle free. Then when she finally stopped trying to fight her way free he just let her up and went on about his day.

Beorning

My cat jumps at walls and bounces back. I guess he's bored...

One day, he actually punched me that way. He jumped at a wall, bounced back... and hit me straight into the stomach with his two front paws. Ouch.

Thumper

My wife's cat tries to get you to play fetch with hair ties in the shower.

NightLux

I have three dogs - all German shepherds and ironically the only one who isn't a rescue is the most shy/the one you would think was abused. I like to call her my barometer as she loves nearly everyone - and if she doesn't like you I wonder if she senses something I don't. But she also LOVES people pickles. Like if I open a jar and she's on the other side of the house, she comes running. It's hilarious.

My second usually comes with her because, and I promise I love him, he's an idiot. If he had a thought of his own he'd probably not know what to do. But he's mine (or more aptly I'm his) and he constantly brings me toys - usually stealing them from his siblings. Oh, and he regularly runs into walls. And a 100 lb German running full steam into dry wall... I learned to patch early on.

Then there's my normal one. Right as rain. But he doesn't bark. Ever. On the rare (and I mean rare) occasion he does he always scares himself and goes looking behind him for whatever dog just barked. But he's sweet and is always between me and the door like right now. "I'm on guard Dad" is exactly what I read in his eyes right now. That and he wants me to go to sleep.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kuroneko

My orange cat Luna plays fetch. We toss paper or her mouse for her and she brings it back over and over for us to do it again. She's the second cat I've had that does this, lol.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh