Empire Records (story first, multiple characters, music)

Started by yobo, June 05, 2017, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobo

This is an idea based on the movie Empire Records from 1995. To quickly sum up, the movie revolves around an independent music store about to be bought by a large music chain. We follow the employees (young people, high school students to a few years out of high school) through a day where they are trying to save the store from being bought, while dealing with all kinds of other problems (like a has-been signing autographs, shoplifters, and personal problems of different sorts).

What I wanna recapture is the spirit of the place. A place that is a hang-out for the local youth, where the employees come in early to study or just hang out before they start their shift. A place where the rules aren't enforced heavily. In short, the best place in the world to work when you are around 19 years old.

These are the most important things for a possible partner:
1. You have to enjoy writing for multiple main characters, both female and male. I also expect you to write for random NPCs when needed.
2. You have to put story before smut. There will be smut, but the story is important for this one.
3. You have to have some knowledge about music, as the characters all will have an interest in music. I'm no expert myself, so no need to be an expert. Even though the story will be set during the 1990s I don't mind using music from all eras. As in a band from 2017 can be an up and coming band in the mid-90s, so even if you don't have much interest in 90s music we can use the music you are interested in instead.

I have already mentioned the story will take place during the 1990s. The reason is that this will be before Internet made the record store obsolete. This is a time when your CD collection told the world who you were, or who you wanted to be. This is a time when new music was discovered through friends, knowledgeable music store employees, or music magazines or fanzines. The mixed tape is still a big thing, mostly on cassette since most people don't have access to a computer with a CD burner.

The store will be key, even though things will happen outside of the store as well. The store is where people meet and where they work. The one thing they all have in common. The employees in the movie were a mixture of different kinds of youth, and I want the same in our story.

Also, the most important is to have fun. We both need to have fun, and create characters and situations that will be fun to write.

yobo

Giving this one another go since I have some extra time on my hands during Christmas.

PervCelebre

This is my favorite prompt possibly ever.

Shock me shock me shock me with that deviant behavior.

playfullchick76

"Isnt it customary for a shoplifter to leave the scene after committing a crime. Definately an amateur". I wish I could play this out, its one of my fav 90's movies ever.

yobo

"I swear you get smarter the shorter your skirts get."

No surprise I truly love this movie. And I am not constricting myself to one version of this idea, if I find more than one partner who is a fit I will do more than one version of this one. :-)

yobo

yobo

yobo

yobo

Considering giving this one a go if I find the right partner for it. :-)

yobo

yobo

I would love if someone wanted to do this one with me. :-)

yobo

yobo