The RPG That Should Have Been

Started by Spookie Monster, October 14, 2008, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Some great roleplaying games have been produced over the years.  Call of CthulhuGhostbustersParanoia.  So many amazing ideas remain untapped, however; so many amazing worlds remain unexplored.  How, we ask ourselves, could the industry have proceeded so far without pursuing this concept?  How could the industry have proceeded so far without building a game around that world?  Do the writers simply consider the concept out of their league?  Do the publishers consider the rights to the property too difficult to obtain?  Although we're likely to have different opinions about exactly which game should have been developed, I'm confident that we can agree on one thing: There is a game that should have been made but for some reason wasn't.

My question to you today, therefore, is this: What roleplaying game hasn't yet been created that should have been created a long time ago?

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Inkidu

Here me out, Hannibal the Role playing game!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hunter

Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series of novels would have made a wonderful rpg.

RubySlippers

Lilias

Pimp: the Backhanding LARP. It's already a card game (I kid you not), but I want to see MET rules for it!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

No um hang on I got it! Dawn of the Dead RPG
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

King_Furby

Halo. they really should not have scraped that project.

Dr. Who. with so much creative history around that universe there is room to make a highly engageing RPG. imagine being able to play as a Darlek or a cyberman..fricken sweet.

so many great RPG concepts have started to get made, just either license issues come up or budgets get cut.

I was pissed when they cut the startgate FPS and then decided to do a MMO instead. the FPS was looking so sweet.

Mathim

There's lots of series that deserve RPGs but don't have them, but inevitably they'd all end up looking similar so there's really no point in making them.

But for the record I really would like to see a true sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HairyHeretic

I would say The Dresden Files, but it turns out that one is actually being worked on at the moment. Fingers crossed they do justice to the material.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 18, 2008, 04:54:00 PM
I would say The Dresden Files, but it turns out that one is actually being worked on at the moment. Fingers crossed they do justice to the material.
Oh sweet I love those books! The show wasn't bad but it wasn't great, I love the books though!

RubySlippers

Quote from: King_Furby on October 16, 2008, 02:01:29 AM
Halo. they really should not have scraped that project.

Dr. Who. with so much creative history around that universe there is room to make a highly engageing RPG. imagine being able to play as a Darlek or a cyberman..fricken sweet.

so many great RPG concepts have started to get made, just either license issues come up or budgets get cut.

I was pissed when they cut the startgate FPS and then decided to do a MMO instead. the FPS was looking so sweet.

They did two actually the DOCTOR WHO RPG (out of print but I played it had some interesting mechanics, a FASA game I believe) and TIMELORD (same thing but they didn't have the license so had to rename it).

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkidu on October 18, 2008, 05:52:39 PM
Oh sweet I love those books! The show wasn't bad but it wasn't great, I love the books though!

Ditto. Current waiting on Small Favour to come to paperback so I can add it to my collection. Here's the link to the game site

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Andy

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Inkidu

Quote from: Anderson on October 19, 2008, 05:44:40 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist: the RPG

No, the Fullmetal Botanist! (Vg cats reference :D) Rpg.

Spookie Monster

It occurs to me that while I'm not really qualified to comment in Great Game, Lame Rule? or Great Game, Great Rule? -- I'm just not familiar enough with the rules of any game to come to any solid conclusions -- I can offer a reply to this question, because there is a roleplaying game that I've been waiting for:

Darn it, I want to play a game based on Philip K. Dick's stuff.

I myself have actually considered trying to run a scenario based on Philip K. Dick's works using a modified version of the Call of Cthulhu rules.  It seems to me that Call of Cthulhu's rules on sanity and insanity would fit right in with what Dick crafted.  As characters unveiled the machinations of the Black Iron Prison they'd drift further and further from consensus reality...

GOODNESS, I LOVE DICK!

Er... I mean...

Well, you know what I mean...

Please say that you know what I mean...

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Spookie Monster

Quote from: HeretiKat on October 22, 2008, 12:12:15 AMHere's a link to Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System, it might be the sans setting version of the Call of Cthulhu rules that will serve well.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=37

Yikes -- I didn't even know that Chaosium produced such a product!  It shows how far out of the roleplaying loop I've drifted, I suppose.  Thanks for the heads-up! :)  If I had a bit more cash and I was up for running a game, I'd probably order a copy right now.  I WANT TO PLAY A GAME WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF DICK!

Er... I mean...

(The joke continues from there in the usual fashion.)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Mabmoro

Personally, Id love to see an X-COM RPG.

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Mabmoro on October 29, 2008, 09:39:34 AM
Personally, Id love to see an X-COM RPG.

You should check out Conspiracy X.  You'd need to do some hacking, but it's got aliens, soldiers, scientists, and rules for building your own base, and filling it with fun equipment.

HairyHeretic

Thats the sort of modern day Cthulhu-ish one, yeah? Is it a decent system?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

It's Unisystem, really basic and easy to get into. I'd give it my seal of approval for easy to get into game system.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."