Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Formal guess time! I am in agreement with MP at the moment, so let's see if it's true. I think with these three clues, this is enough to make a guess. Even if James proves innocent, this should narrow things down.

I believe James Moriarty is our murderer with the Blender as his method and the Note as evidence.

persephone325

Quote from: Blythe on January 22, 2016, 03:34:40 PM
Formal guess time! I am in agreement with MP at the moment, so let's see if it's true. I think with these three clues, this is enough to make a guess.

I believe James Moriarty is our murderer with the Blender as his method and the Note as evidence.

You are incorrect!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Blythe

*sadface* ;_;

Dang. But at least it helps us narrow things down in a very good way. Personally, with that guess being incorrect, I'm inclined to believe James is not our murderer at all, with none of his other evidence fitting the clues given, and none of his other methods of murder fitting 'Severe Injury.'

yugi006

Now that I think about it a lot of the evidence I listed leans more towards the Classroom rather than Cafeteria.

My prime suspect is MP with Menu as her key evidence and almost all her methods of murder can cause severe injury.

Derwaysh

Severe Injury inside a cafeteria with a written note left behind.

Potential Perps

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture
Key Evidence Cards: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Exam Paper, Hourglass
Notes: I lean towards 'metal wire' and 'sculpture' with Yugi leaving his exam paper behind at the scene of crime.

Player: Blythe
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol, Kerosene, Machete, Hammer
Key Evidence Cards: ID Card, Certificate, Internet Cable, Table Lamp
Notes: Machete or a hammer can cause severe injury with the ID card and certificate left behind.

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards: Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip
Key Evidence Cards: Coffee, Menu, Playing Cards, Tie
Notes: All of MP's means of murder cards correlate with severe injury. And I can totally see you leaving behind a menu akin to Kissin' Kate Barlow. XD

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine
Key Evidence Cards: Badge, Comics, Video Camera, Leather Shoe
Notes: When I see bite and tear, I think its like unarmed only with 500% more zombie. A comic book may have been left behind with stuff written?

Player: Red Pheonix
Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic
Key Evidence Cards: Safety Pin, Wig, Confidential Letter, Map
Notes: I am on to you...

In light of present evidence I pronounce Red Phoenix as the perpiest of all the perps. I believe having used her vicious Ice Skates, she left behind a Confidential Letter for another member of Phoenix Be. Awesome gang but little did she know that the investigators were not as inept as perhaps those she was used to when she went up against the Smithy Baccal and the Florida Gator Boys gang. 8-)

Do we have a consensus, lady persephone325?
And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

persephone325

Quote from: Derwaysh on January 22, 2016, 03:57:07 PM
Severe Injury inside a cafeteria with a written note left behind.

In light of present evidence I pronounce Red Phoenix as the perpiest of all the perps. I believe having used her vicious Ice Skates, she left behind a Confidential Letter for another member of Phoenix Be. Awesome gang but little did she know that the investigators were not as inept as perhaps those she was used to when she went up against the Smithy Baccal and the Florida Gator Boys gang. 8-)

Do we have a consensus, lady persephone325?

You are incorrect!
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RedPhoenix

Reminder: The victim may have been tortured but your logic doesn't have to be.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

yugi006

Remember to make sure you look at what was not chosen which is as important to what was chosen as the clue.

Remiel

Also, remember that not all the clues have to pertain to the same thing.  Persephone might be trying to draw our attention to the method, OR she might be trying to draw our attention to the evidence.  Not every clue has to fit both.

Derwaysh

Bugger. Narrows it down to others though. Cheers for the tips, folks!

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Blythe

Verasaille's Bank Note and Madame's Menu are my highest areas of suspicion now that I feel that there are no other guesses that would make sense for James. They fit the location and the evidence type absolutely perfectly. They both have murder methods that fit the cause of death. I think we should focus on them both and try to narrow it down from here.

It's possible I'm on the wrong track, though. I guessed wrong with James, and part of me is incredibly suspicious that Madame put that out there to convince someone to use up a guess.

yugi006

That is true as well and the last clue definitely points us to the eivdence as it refers to it.

Some of the evidence seem to point towards classroom instead of cafeteria so since cafeteria was chosen I think we can safely eliminate those such as exam paper, notes and such.

I be;lieve now you are on the right track Blythe. After the FS gave us writtem as the lue I didn't think notes fit with the cafeteria as well as it did with classroom which was another choice on the loation board.

Menu definitely fits and I can see how bank notes could work as it could contain writing on it as I see writing all the time on cash.

RedPhoenix

Please nobody else throw your guess away when we've seen only half the clues. Will post longer when not on phone.

Madame Professor

Quote from: Blythe on January 22, 2016, 05:10:20 PM
It's possible I'm on the wrong track, though. I guessed wrong with James, and part of me is incredibly suspicious that Madame put that out there to convince someone to use up a guess.

Why? Because you did that last game? :P

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 22, 2016, 05:18:46 PM
Please nobody else throw your guess away when we've seen only half the clues. Will post longer when not on phone.

Throw away? Using them helps us narrow do our list of suspects so I don't think it was a waste.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Derwaysh

Somehow I was under the impression that guesses reset after a clue is given, considering me first time and all. My apologies but it teaches yours truly to be a bit more resilient for future games. Lesson learned! ;D

A/A

RedPhoenix

Okay, so going through what I thought before and adding "Writing" (and NOT Natural, Artistic, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated) let's see...

Yugi - Exam Paper is obviously writing. Nothing else is. And Exam Paper and Sculpture have nothing to do with Cafeteria. I suppose it's slightly more than before but still not enough that I believe a single case exists. Still Blue

Strangefate - Nothing here has anything to do with writing. He's basically out of the picture in my opinion.  Still Blue

Remiel - Marginal, I suppose Soft Drinks have writing on them? But wouldn't Synthetic fit better? I don't see how Sniper or Seasoning have anything to do with writing. There are a few weak cases remaining but I'm leaning away from him. Downgraded to Green.

Assassini - I suppose Jackets and Snacks have writing on them? I would think a jacket would be more of a personal item. I suppose Writing could fit the best of bad choices for Snacks? Eh. A marginal case I suppose. Not in love with it, but it could have been a lousy clue card. Still Orange.

Blythe - ID Card and Certificate both obvious writing. I would lean towards ID Card. I think Hammer/ID Card fits pretty well actually, with Kerosene and Machete still options for means. Upgraded to Red.

Madame Professor - Menu is the single best mix of Cafeteria and Writing there could possibly be. Playing Cards also arguable. With Razor, Whip and Bamboo Tip all still viable options for method, I think there are multiple strong cases here. Upgraded to Red

BAMF - Badge could fit writing, but it seems like a stretch. Comics fits it pretty well too, but I think artistic is better. I suppose that's a bit more than we had before. Still several possible options for method too (Wrench/Surgery/Bite and Tear). More evidence than before, but only very slightly. Remains Green.

Verasaille - Oooh boy, the writing queen. Numbers, Dictionary, and Banknote all fit. With three strong options for means (Trophy, Push, Folding Chair) and one very strong piece of evidence (Banknote) with two other weaker possibilities (Numbers/Dictionary) I think Ms. Vera is a prime suspect.  Upgraded to Red.

James Moriarty - Note is obviously writing, but Classroom was a better choice than Cafeteria by far so I don't see that. None of the others have anything to do with writing. I don't think a single viable cases exists here. Downgraded to Blue

Derwaysh - Neither Steamed Buns or Dentures have anything to do with writing. Dentures would be personal I would think, Steamed Buns maybe natural? I don't know but surely not writing. A few possibilites remaining at means but I think there's much less on evidence now. Downgraded to Green.

RedPhoenix - Confidential Letter and Map both have writing obviously, but neither makes sense to put in a Cafeteria when Classroom was a choice, although I suppose Confidential Letter wouldn't have fit any of those clues well. Sulfiric Acid still a good fit for means, but no good choice for evidence. Remains Green.

persephone325

Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing

The FS has chosen Action.
I don't know.

RedPhoenix

I think this clue has a high chance of being misleading. Since there is Sudden Sound and Prolonged Sound and most of the hints will be one of those there's going to a lot of overlap between those and Action. I suppose we can rule out Smell, Visual, Nothing type stuff, but there isn't a whole lot of that among what I'm looking at as suspicious.

Assassini: Chainsaw/Boxcutter still completely viable.
Blythe: Machete/Hammer still completely viable.
MP: All of her means cards could be Action.
Vera: Push is pretty much the only thing that is clearly action, but Trophy/Folding Chair still viable too.

If sephie is trying to tell us it was Vera with a push, then this was a good clue, but if it was anything else with anything else there's still a lot of vague and other than narrowing Vera's means down a little (maybe) I don't think this clue changes that much unfortunately. :/

My guess at the moment would be Vera with a Push leaving behind a Menu but there's a lot still ambiguous.

Verasaille

Better check your evidence list again, it is MP who has the menu. And too many others could be action, that is a pretty vague clue.

I am leaning towards Blythe with his hammer and ID card. But still not sure enough to accuse.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

RedPhoenix

Oops. Well it would be much more convenient for me if the same person had both of those.

Remiel

I don't know who the murderer is, but I can tell you who it isn't:  Yugi006, Strangefate, Madame Professor, and Red Phoenix.  These four have been effectively eliminated.

Right now, Verasaille and Derwaysh top my list of suspects, because reasons.

RedPhoenix

Walk me through why you think it might be Derwaysh.

Remiel

Hrm.  Well, technically, his "Machine" qualifies for the Written category, although I confess that it's probably not very likely.  Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that he's the accomplice.

At this moment, I'm thinking that Verasaille's Folding Chair / Banknote seems the most likely combination.  It's a bit premature to blow my guess formally on it, though.

RedPhoenix

Yeah, I wasn't seeing much on Derwaysh that's why I asked.

Blythe

Verasaille's Folding Chair/Bank Note is a viable combo, I agree.

I don't think Derwaysh's methods/evidence quite fit, though. I still think Madame and Verasaille are the two most likely suspects.