Discussion/Debate End of the World "prophecies"

Started by Sherona, September 14, 2008, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Being a native Germanic speaker, I don't find Shakespearean to be more germanic...it reads much the same way as my (albeit dusty) king james version bible. The point being, the language shouldn't matter if one can use the bible code in just anything and get "significant" codes.

Inkidu

No no. Old English is the Germanic side of English from Norse and other tribes. Middle English is anything after 1066 and the Battle of Hastings. That's when French first got mixed with English and produced the language of Shakespeare, Chaucer (Father of the English language.) then it transformed over time to what is spoken today.

So as you can see the need to translate Beowulf and Old English epic into modern or even Middle English would mean leaving a lot up to the translator so things like Bible Code-esque patterns could be common.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revolverman

English is the bastard language of German and Latin

Sherona

English is the bastardization of many languages. It has a lot of latin flairs only because MANY languages used Latin as a base.

I would have to disagree with you on every account Inkidu. Like I said, the bible and shakespear reads  the same to me, I do not see a language difference there. And since you ignored my reply that it really didn't matter the language, if it was random then one could easily find anomalies in any language.

Oniya

If the Bible Code is dependent on letters (which is how I understand it), then the language it is written in does make a difference, simply because you'll get different letters at different points in the text.

If it's dependent on words, it will still depend on the syntax of the language - yes, English tends to have a more similar sentence structure to the Germanic languages, but different from, say, Welsh (prime example is that in Welsh, the adjectives come after the noun they describe).

Getting the same coherent messages in several languages in the same area would be an astronomically improbable occurrence.

-----

Regarding the whole "Old English/Middle English" thing - I've read Chaucer and Shakespeare, and seen a copy of Beowulf.  Old English is a completely different beastie, even with a different alphabet - there's a character that looks like a lowercase d with the top half bent left and a cross mark through the top that corresponds to 'th' as an example that I recall.  Most people who see it don't even recognize it as a relative of English, which explains the confusion: for them, the 'oldest' English is Chaucer/Shakespeare.

-Not a linguist, only a linguaphile.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on September 16, 2008, 07:26:18 AM
English is the bastardization of many languages. It has a lot of latin flairs only because MANY languages used Latin as a base.

I would have to disagree with you on every account Inkidu. Like I said, the bible and shakespear reads  the same to me, I do not see a language difference there. And since you ignored my reply that it really didn't matter the language, if it was random then one could easily find anomalies in any language.
That's because Shakespeare and the Bible (KJV) are Middle English. It's pretty much the same as Modern English I'm talking about Old English to Middle or Modern English. One Old English doesn't have the Latin alphabet. It has a Germanic marky kind of thing. You got of on the Bible but I was saying you could probably find Bible Code like phenomenon in Beowulf or an Old English work. It would still translate differently into Middle or Modern English.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

I'm not entirely sure if the whole Mayan prophecy thing is something I find to be true or not.  It's just a bit of a coincidence that so many prophetic traditions, especially the Mayans and the Chinese, all point to 12/21/2012 as the date for the end of the world.  It makes you think, that is certain.  And, of course, the Mayans and the Chinese knew what they were doing when it came to math, astronomy, and other sciences.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...