Overcoming writer's block

Started by Wajin, August 25, 2013, 06:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wajin

So, for the last week and a half I've been battling Writer's block at various intensities, but now it's gone so far as to completely render me unable to articulate myself creatively through writing. This is quite a bad thing since a big part of my income comes from writing music reviews. But it's not just on a professional plan I'm struggling, I've been having trouble posting what I feel are adequate replies to my roleplays here recently, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience in overcoming writers block, or any knowledge on how to figure out what's causing it
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Oniya

One of the methods I've heard of is to just sit down and type 'stream of consciousness'.  Doesn't matter if it's crap, because no one but you needs to see it, just put words on paper.   If you need more direction, another method would be to go into the Finders and Seekers section and snag a picture  - write about that picture.  (Anyone remember the Thematic Apperception Test?  Didn't think so.)  Warning:  Some of those threads are extremely Muse-potent.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

dragonsen

When that happens to me, I go old school. Play some really old games from my childhood to get my mind to reset. I'm talking original NES, MS-DOS games, etc.
Knowledge is the gathering of useless information - Arthvr Dragonsen
Discord: arthvrdragonsen
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

Cecilia

Writer's block often stems from something being wrong with the writing and a need to fix it.  If you can diagnosis what is off, then you can usually fix it.  If you have a general malaise about any and all writing, it might be that you are having other emotional stress or issues that make it hard for you to write.  Either way, I know it can suck.

One thing I have found helpful is to pick up a favorite book and start copying it, word for word, from a random place.  Just typing it into a new document for a while.  Sometimes, just the act of sitting down and copying will knock me out of my bleh.

Good luck getting your mojo back.

Kythia

One thing I've found helpful on E is to start writing their response to the one you're stuck on.  How do they react to whatever it is you're struggling to convey?  I find that helps you think about your actions and words from another perspective which is sometimes all it takes.

Dovel

Someone once told me, 'There is no such thing as writer's block for a writer. You don't write, you don't eat.'

For me, I find listening to music or reading a favorite book helps. It allows my mind to wander and it generates ideas.

Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Wajin

I found a very... unconventional way of getting over it. I had my daughter think up the premise for a story, and then I started writing it... now she wants it as her bedtime story
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

Oniya

Not entirely unconventional.  Sometimes we just need that little push of 'what should I write about?'.  Since that works for you, you might want to try some of the prompt games in the Storytelling forum or the Cafe.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

dragonsen

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on August 26, 2013, 06:03:55 PM
I found a very... unconventional way of getting over it. I had my daughter think up the premise for a story, and then I started writing it... now she wants it as her bedtime story

I certainly hope that you are writing it with a rating she can tolerate. :)
Knowledge is the gathering of useless information - Arthvr Dragonsen
Discord: arthvrdragonsen
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

Dovel

Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

steelsmiter

When I'm writing and I get a block, I write something technical rather than creative. I re-read my O/Os, update them, add story ideas, or otherwise do something I don't have to think about. I've thrown up a couple systems in GM's corner for no reason other than writer's block. I typed up descriptions of all my OCs and put them in my O/Os today.

There is also the idea of joining a new game. I don't know if it helps you but when I can't think of something for one RP, I make a new character for another. I don't act the same way as Martin Riggs that I might as an OC. I've got 4-5 solos going and I'm about to start another. I've got a group game going on and I'm thinking on joining a second group game.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Formless

A writer's block usually happens when your current muse dies/runs dry/vanishes ... etc.

Now finding a Muse isn't as easy as picking up a new book or a new movie. So waiting for it to come back or for a new one to come up might take a long time. So I seek inspiration.

What Dragonsen & Dovel mentioned are the methods I use. Also Oniya's reference to the Finders & Seekers section can give you a great sense of inspiration.

The advise I would give you though? If you can't find it through simple means , don't push it.

Nico

I know a lot about block, or creative exhaustion in general. The only thing that really does it for me is doing something completely different. Just let it rest, go for a walk, listen to music, watch TV. Anything, just not the thing that causes the block. I also know that it's not always easy to let go. It is a learning process, to detatch your thoughts from circling around the block.

jouzinka

Quote from: Kythia on August 26, 2013, 05:55:58 PM
One thing I've found helpful on E is to start writing their response to the one you're stuck on.  How do they react to whatever it is you're struggling to convey?  I find that helps you think about your actions and words from another perspective which is sometimes all it takes.
I usually do what Nic (and others) suggested - do anything but the thing that gives me the block. I read, I watch movies/TV shows, draw or paint... go for a walk or spend time with the little rascals (my nieces and my nephew) - clean my head, in a way. I find that I can only write if I'm on a happy-ish wave; I need to be positive for me to have the creativity, so I try to create that if it's not there.

However, I found that advice from Kythia awesome! ;D I'll try that. After all, you usually do have a general sense of direction where you want to go. I feel that this could help along those not-so-smooth flowing points. Thanks. :-)
Quote from: A Japanese Dane on August 26, 2013, 06:03:55 PM
Yayness for kid and daddy time! ;D And if she can rid you of the block, more power to her. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Wajin

Quote from: jouzinka on August 27, 2013, 11:04:21 AM
Yayness for kid and daddy time! ;D And if she can rid you of the block, more power to her. :-)

She's my little angel :D my husband is a bit disappointed that she thought I was better at making up stories than he is gonna be fine :3

Oniya

Just remember:  'The Hobbit' started out as a story J.R.R. Tolkien was spinning for his nephews.

jouzinka

Oh! I thought The Hobbit started by scribbling the initial words on a blank paper a student of his submitted instead of a work... *goes to google madly*
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

arthenwel

I'm an author that has suffered from writer's block many times. For me, I get writer's block because I have conflicting ideas in my head about what to write. So, sometimes I write from my character's point of view. I think about how they would act, think, etc. I also found that if I'm writing a story and I get stuck I go to a different area of my story and write that area and think of how I want to connect the two stories. Also, sometimes I'll just write ideas that I know won't be used so as to get them out of my head and reduce the 'clutter'.
Be careful who you try to burn. You might just find that the other person knows how to play with fire better than you.

On's/Off's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=185686.0
A/A's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=228170.msg11197359#msg11197359

RedPhoenix

I have found the best way to get over writer's block is to stop thinking about the fact that you have writer's block and go do something else to distract yourself.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

The Golden Touch

I was suffering from a bad version of writers block, and decided to join a group game. The character I made there inspired me to expand upon the world she came from and now I have a group game about to start with twelve people... >>;;;

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Wajin

I'm currently considering putting the first part of the story I wrote for her up in the storytelling section :P It's title Hop-Hop the rabbit, king of the dragons