GIF Avatar and Wiki Photo URL issues.

Started by Skye, March 05, 2015, 07:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skye

I should have said something sooner, but now that it's something I can't fix myself, I'm here asking for help. I'm having two issues that end up being one in the same. The first one is, my GIF avatar. When I use the [Specify avatar by URL] option from my computer, the gif doesn't loop. I checked and rechecked that the images were saved as a gif file. But as the stationary avatar in my side panel shows, it doesn't work.

I could pull the url from the Wiki, BUT since January of 2013 there have been issues with my URLs not taking. Which is why I have been using the [Upload an avatar] option this whole time. The board will seemingly accept it, saying [Your profile has been updated successfully.], but the avatar will still be the one it previously was. No change at all. So, therein lies my problem of using my Wiki URL link for this GIF.

I remember reading that the sizes of the avatars are a factor. I also remember that the size values changed over the years and is now 150x200. As a rule of thumb, no matter if the width of any avatar is under 150, I still always resize the height to 200. What can an avi addict do? Anything would be much appreciated.

[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Vekseid

Just upload it normally.

Apparently it's converting the image when it downloads it from elsewhere. There are some now largely irrelevant security reasons for this.

Skye

The avatar I am currently sporting, is the normal gif upload. The loop isn't working right and I have no idea why.
I'm a Photoshop noob when it comes to gif files.  :-X

Edited: I don't need a gif. It's cool. Thanks, Vekseid!
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Rogue

Just as a possible solution for future issues.... depending on how you're resizing it you have to set it to animate when you save it. (I've had these issues with gimp for instance.)

consortium11

Quote from: Reign on March 05, 2015, 07:36:17 PM
The avatar I am currently sporting, is the normal gif upload. The loop isn't working right and I have no idea why.
I'm a Photoshop noob when it comes to gif files.  :-X

Edited: I don't need a gif. It's cool. Thanks, Vekseid!

If you're using Photoshop to create the gif then make sure you're NOT going "save as" and then setting the file type to GIF. Instead go "Save for Web" and at the bottom right the "looping options" is set to forever.

Skye

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on March 06, 2015, 12:14:39 AM
Just as a possible solution for future issues.... depending on how you're resizing it you have to set it to animate when you save it. (I've had these issues with gimp for instance.)
Ooh, Rogue! When I attempt a gif upload again, I'll look out for that.  ;D

Quote from: consortium11 on March 06, 2015, 12:33:11 AM
If you're using Photoshop to create the gif then make sure you're NOT going "save as" and then setting the file type to GIF. Instead go "Save for Web" and at the bottom right the "looping options" is set to forever.

"Save for Web," is usually my go-to, but I missed the looping options.  :-[ Makes sense now!
I saw that in the url for my photobucket link too, "time lapse" and dashes following it or something
like that.

Thank you both, so so much!
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]