What's the most racist show on TV?

Started by Mathim, August 01, 2008, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Quote from: Sherona on August 11, 2008, 06:53:22 PM
I think it is also how one perceives what is flaming and what is not. Opinionated personalities tend to get fiery when they are defending their positions, and sometimes this can be seen as flaming. Fiery, Feiry, Fiery looks right....*wanders off mumbling about spelling of fiery*

Point taken.

Mathim

I do'nt know if I made this up or if I heard this somewhere and forgot about it, but I remember saying to a friend, as a joke, "It's not a stereotype if it's true." He laughed and we had a chat about it, concluding that people really shouldn't act like negative stereotypes because that's how they get perpetuated. Whether it's black people acting like gangsters or white people acting like redneck hicks, people need to take personal responsibility about their behavior. I mean, what they do ends up hurting others because of what it makes other people believe...at least, to some extent.

I just had an amusing experience just a few minutes ago. Two older black gentlemen were using the computer next to me, and they said something about loving fried chicken. I smiled and turned to them and said, "Isn't that a stereotype?" They both laughed and then I said, "Well, name me one person who doesn't like fried chicken, right?" I mean, how is that a stereotype if everyone, no matter what ethnicity they are, do it? I mean, there are gang people of every race (well, actually...are there Native American gangs? Probably not...) so every race is capable of violence and such. Saying that one is more prone to it than another is ludicrous. People are juts people, and behavior is influenced by many things. And I think that just like violence, racism begets racism. So the more people are prejudiced, the more others will be prejudiced right back at them. But of course, no one ever learns...that's something every person has in common, whether it's about bigotry or other things.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

theLeslie

*waves to everyone*  Hello.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents, and say I don't find the Boondocks to be racist in any typical sense.  I find it to be, if anything, Ironic over the position Africans find themselves in, in America.  The show is an obvious cry to the black comunity to change their ways.   The Boondocks recognises the racism that has been prevalent in this nation since our forfathers moved here.  The show is unafraid to self criticize for the sake of an education.  I actually enjoy the show quite a bit, and approve of it's message.  I find that, if anything, it pushes for change and recognition of the bad things that have happened to Africans, and the place they've been all but cornered into today.

Of course, I would also like to say that I feel no pity for the African race.  I feel pity for no one based on their ethnicity, because people are simply people.  We have all suffered.  We have all prevailed.  We are all human, and it is our humanity that should bind us.  The idea of race is as illusory as the concept of a national border.  It is a convention conceived by those who benefit from separation and paranoia.  Racism is a tool used to keep people squabbling with each other, instead of understanding what it is that actually oppresses every race.

In my opinion the Boondocks is far from the most racist show on television.  I prefer to think Fox News would take that title. 

Caity

*laughs*  You might be right about Fox News.  :p

Mathim

Wow, theLeslie, you said a mouthful. I hadn't thought about it like that, but you do have a good point. Imploring people to change their behavior might be their underlying intention, but I do feel that people should have the right to behave however they want, even if it's self-destructive (as long as it doesn't hurt others, of course.) Whatever makes them happy and satisfied, if they want to believe in being superior or in the inferiorities of others, that's their prerogative. Because like I'd been saying, no one can change how someone thinks, and it'll probably just make them angrier if you do try to change it.

But I do think it was kind of harsh saying you don't feel sorry for them. I mean, a lot of the African-American communities are in poor areas with substandard schools and statistically many of them haven't got the best parents as role models. I would think that coming from that background and would earn them some sympathy and understanding, at least. I mean, is it okay to believe all problems are caused by another race/ethnicity and blame them for everything? Of course not. And that's a pretty common attitude I run up against where I live, so it's difficult not to take some flak from people who misplace their anger and frustration. I understand why they feel that way, though, and it hurts me to know that I can't help them or enlighten them.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Mathim on August 14, 2008, 11:08:20 AM
But I do think it was kind of harsh saying you don't feel sorry for them. I mean, a lot of the African-American communities are in poor areas with substandard schools and statistically many of them haven't got the best parents as role models. I would think that coming from that background and would earn them some sympathy and understanding, at least. I mean, is it okay to believe all problems are caused by another race/ethnicity and blame them for everything? Of course not. And that's a pretty common attitude I run up against where I live, so it's difficult not to take some flak from people who misplace their anger and frustration. I understand why they feel that way, though, and it hurts me to know that I can't help them or enlighten them.

I don't feel sorry for them either.  I live in Helena-West Helena AR.  Look it up. . .  Substandard is too good for where I live.  I feel sorry for individuals regardless of ethnicity.  I don't feel sorry for the entire black population.  I have it harder than most of the black people in this area.  If you find yourself feeling sorry for an entire ethnicity then you need to stop and look around good and hard.  Yes, I'm sorry that they were taken into slavery and treated badly but let me put this into perspective for you.  Their own people sold them into slavery and they were brought to America from Africa (look up what goes on there and then think how lucky they are to be here now).  Yes they were slaves and treated poorly but they were generally taken care of.  They were given a roof, food, water, clothes. . .everything they needed.  Irish immigrants came to America and they were lucky if they had food for their families or a roof over their heads.  They were treated badly.  They may not have had clothes to cover their bodies.  These immigrants were WHITE!  Look at history and think really hard.  Do you know what's going on in Africa?  Think about that! 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

theLeslie

You may have slightly misunderstood my words.  I grew up very poor, so I understand what is it like, somewhat, living in squallor.  Granted I didn't live in the 'ghetto' but it was in my back yard.  I say I do not pity them based on the fact that they are black.  For example, there are many black CEOs who have way more money than the entire city I live in put together.  Should we pity them?

I offer my compassion to any who would find comfort in it, but I don't do it because they're black.  I do it because I feel bad for the person.  White, asian, islander, it doesn't matter.  All people suffer the same, and all people need to be comforted.  Color has nothing to do with it.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: theLeslie on August 14, 2008, 11:21:23 AM
  You may have slightly misunderstood my words.  I grew up very poor, so I understand what is it like, somewhat, living in squallor.  Granted I didn't live in the 'ghetto' but it was in my back yard.  I say I do not pity them based on the fact that they are black.  For example, there are many black CEOs who have way more money than the entire city I live in put together.  Should we pity them?

I offer my compassion to any who would find comfort in it, but I don't do it because they're black.  I do it because I feel bad for the person.  White, asian, islander, it doesn't matter.  All people suffer the same, and all people need to be comforted.  Color has nothing to do with it.

*nods*
Ons and Offs

Mathim

I'm not saying I feel sorry for every single black person! Sheesh, I know tons of them who are doing better than me! I'm just saying, there are some who are victims of circumstance and the hatred I feel from them is understandable, so I have some compassion for them. I'd want people to feel the same way for me, in my impoverished situation. And I'm white, but it doesn't mean I don't want compassion. I mean, I know a woman who isn't that much older than my mother, and her parents were slaves in another country. She really had it rough and I definitely empathize with coming from that sort of background. At least be able to feel empathy for those who are in tough situations because of that kind of thing-yeah, it's not all of them, but that doesn't mean you should feel nothing for ANY of them.

The Overlord

Quote from: Mathim on August 12, 2008, 04:22:39 PM

I just had an amusing experience just a few minutes ago. Two older black gentlemen were using the computer next to me, and they said something about loving fried chicken. I smiled and turned to them and said, "Isn't that a stereotype?" They both laughed and then I said, "Well, name me one person who doesn't like fried chicken, right?"

Shit yeah...fried chicken FTW.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Mathim on August 14, 2008, 06:08:29 PM
I'm not saying I feel sorry for every single black person! Sheesh, I know tons of them who are doing better than me! I'm just saying, there are some who are victims of circumstance and the hatred I feel from them is understandable, so I have some compassion for them. I'd want people to feel the same way for me, in my impoverished situation. And I'm white, but it doesn't mean I don't want compassion. I mean, I know a woman who isn't that much older than my mother, and her parents were slaves in another country. She really had it rough and I definitely empathize with coming from that sort of background. At least be able to feel empathy for those who are in tough situations because of that kind of thing-yeah, it's not all of them, but that doesn't mean you should feel nothing for ANY of them.

Feeling empathy is my weak point.  I don't feel empathy very well because my friend, I've generally been in worse places than most of the people.  Homeless is not a fun place to be.  Niether is starving.  Or any of the other situations I've been in.  So I feel no empathy for people who don't deserve it.
Ons and Offs

Bliss

Empathy
A sense of shared experience, including emotional and physical feelings, with someone or something other than oneself. ...
associationsunlimited.com/free_resources/glossary/glossary_de.htm

Sympathy
- an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his ...
- sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish)
- a relation of affinity or harmony between people; whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other; "the two of them were in close sympathy"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

The Overlord

In my experience, doing better and merely looking better are distinctly different things. In the black community in the States, too many of them are about the bling; yeah they have a big house and drive a Beamer, but they don't put it into anything truly meaningful. Fuck, why save enough money to go back to college or put your kids through when you can buy some $1400 rims for the ride?

Of course, that's just the black take on it; lots of stupid white fuckers are out there...yeah you know who you are, passing me up in the fire-engine red SUV with enough onboard electronics and monitors to play backup for a police mobile command unit. Jawing away on their cells and going 90 in the fast lane. Most of them are barely hanging on; one small financial disaster away from listing a cardboard box as a mailing address. All in the name of the eternal quest to keep up with the Jones's.

A lot of people here look better, but that's it. Idiots.

theLeslie

Wow, stereotyping..

I'm sorry overlord, but what you just posted is horrible.

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on August 14, 2008, 10:44:51 PM
Wow, stereotyping..

I'm sorry overlord, but what you just posted is horrible.

Not really, I only posted the truth, painful that it may be. We all know the people I am describing are actually out there. Comedy masters like George Carlin and Bill Cosby essentially have said the very thing, except I didn't offer it in a funny context.

For the record the stereotypes are sometimes based on fact, but I don't stereotype across the board, I only attack those that deserve it. If you’re not in this category don’t worry about it.

theLeslie

Please forgive me if this seems like nit-picking, but this line is what got me. 

"that's just the black take on it"  I know many many black people, and not a single one cares about rims.

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on August 15, 2008, 12:44:29 AM
  Please forgive me if this seems like nit-picking, but this line is what got me. 

"that's just the black take on it"  I know many many black people, and not a single one cares about rims.

Nor do the ones I know personally, but I've surely come across some. Of course I've come across rednecks that are looking for a better shotgun rack for their truck, so don't think I'm picking on just one group.

The reality is that's not really about black or white, it's about dummies no matter where they're from. If adding color in any to the equation is offensive I shall omit.

Le RandomBloke

The simpsons obviously, not a single white person in that show! How racist!

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

The Overlord

Quote from: RandomBloke on August 15, 2008, 01:21:20 AM
The simpsons obviously, not a single white person in that show! How racist!

Yeah....frickin' damn yellows!

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Bliss on August 14, 2008, 10:27:55 PM
Empathy
A sense of shared experience, including emotional and physical feelings, with someone or something other than oneself. ...
associationsunlimited.com/free_resources/glossary/glossary_de.htm

Sympathy
- an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his ...
- sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish)
- a relation of affinity or harmony between people; whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other; "the two of them were in close sympathy"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I understand what they are but I don't empathize well.  When someone is in a situation similar to one I've been in and I think they act or acted stupidly I don't empathize. 

Quote from: The Overlord on August 14, 2008, 10:28:12 PM
In my experience, doing better and merely looking better are distinctly different things. In the black community in the States, too many of them are about the bling; yeah they have a big house and drive a Beamer, but they don't put it into anything truly meaningful. Fuck, why save enough money to go back to college or put your kids through when you can buy some $1400 rims for the ride?

Of course, that's just the black take on it; lots of stupid white fuckers are out there...yeah you know who you are, passing me up in the fire-engine red SUV with enough onboard electronics and monitors to play backup for a police mobile command unit. Jawing away on their cells and going 90 in the fast lane. Most of them are barely hanging on; one small financial disaster away from listing a cardboard box as a mailing address. All in the name of the eternal quest to keep up with the Jones's.

A lot of people here look better, but that's it. Idiots.

We like to make jokes around here that only in West Helena is there a piece of shit car with more money in rims than the car was ever close to being worth.  That's what the drug dealers around here drive and while not all of them are black, most of them are.

I also had a white friend who was obsessed with "Pimping" his car.  He had rims and lights and all sorts of expensive crap.

And I know the people you're talking about.  The white guys with the huge cars.  I've seen far too many of them lately.  My spoken response is always, damn they must really have money if they're putting gas in that thing!

Quote from: The Overlord on August 15, 2008, 01:23:10 AM

Yeah....frickin' damn yellows!

*nods*  Yellow!  *smirk*
Ons and Offs

Bliss

Trying to get this thread back onto it's proper topic...

I don't know how many of you folks have seen the movie Stand and Deliver, but there's one line in particular that has always stuck with me.

There are two kinds of racism, Mr Escalante. Judging a group because they are a minority, and not judging a group because they are a minority.

My question goes primarily to Mathim as the initial poster on this topic, though I'd like to hear from others as well - which kind is the definition you're operating under when talking about racism in tv shows?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

The Overlord

As far as on topic goes, if it's past and present, All in the Family definitely wins. Archie Bunker is the most racist meatheat in television history.

Caity

All in the Family wouldn't even be allowed to be on TV today...

The Overlord

Quote from: Caity on August 15, 2008, 08:24:21 PM
All in the Family wouldn't even be allowed to be on TV today...

Very likely true. While the flipside is the American psyche has grown more diverse and tolerant, we've also become a nation of whiners and complainers. Remake this show as a movie and an easy dozen civil liberties groups will be breathing fire down your neck like a dragon.

Archie Bunker holds a certain place in TV history because he's a holdover of a dying area, something we're slowly overcoming but can't sanitize history by forgetting him. His time has come and gone, and there's no reason to have him reappear on the tube today or ever.

Trieste

I noticed with amusement when I was at DisneyWorld that there was not the remotest mention at all of Song of the South. Not a word, not a bar of the music, nothing.