News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Brain teasers

Started by The Golden Touch, November 10, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFemdom

Here goes another brainteaser:

You have an empty square of 3x3. Just like a sub-square of a sudoku. Inside, in eace one of the 9 boxes, you can only place one number. What numbers? 1, 2, 3, ... to 9. You can only use them one time. In fact, the entire square must be full at the end of the game (9 boxes for 9 different numbers).

The objective: sum of the numbers in ALL directions (diagonal, straight, lateral... but always lineally) must be equal to 15.

Oniya

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 21, 2012, 03:37:03 AM
The opposing team would just run the bases till they became dust if you leave him in for one inning... Let them go up a point or two and pull him, bases will be loaded but at least it will not look strange if you pull him when the first batter gets on base.

Similar to what I was thinking - I couldn't remember how 'soon' one can pull a pitcher.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AndyZ

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 21, 2012, 10:30:59 AM
My turn for an old saw.

There is an old stump containing seven ears of corn. A squirrel can remove three ears per day. Assuming nothing else interferes, how long does it take for the squirrel to empty the stump?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Not feeling very well today, so I feel like there's a piece to this that I'm not getting.

Assuming no trick, a squirrel can remove 3 ears per day, there's 7, so it'll take 2 1/3 days to complete.  That's going under the impression that each time, a squirrel drags out the ear of corn, carries it off somewhere (thus the word remove) and eats it.

I can imagine the trick being things like that there's things besides just the ears of corn, that the squirrel actually lives in the stump, that the squirrel will eat the corn but not carry out the eaten ears, and thus it'll never be empty.  Or that the stump is fully sealed and the squirrel can't get to it, but that'd be something else interfering.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: AndyZ on April 22, 2012, 10:32:35 AM
Not feeling very well today, so I feel like there's a piece to this that I'm not getting.

Assuming no trick, a squirrel can remove 3 ears per day, there's 7, so it'll take 2 1/3 days to complete.  That's going under the impression that each time, a squirrel drags out the ear of corn, carries it off somewhere (thus the word remove) and eats it.

I can imagine the trick being things like that there's things besides just the ears of corn, that the squirrel actually lives in the stump, that the squirrel will eat the corn but not carry out the eaten ears, and thus it'll never be empty.  Or that the stump is fully sealed and the squirrel can't get to it, but that'd be something else interfering.

There is a trick -  more of a wordplay trick than a logical trick, but it's none of the ones you thought of. The stump contains nothing but corn, the squirrel does not live in the stump, it will remove the corn before eating it, and can freely enter and exit the stump. And yes, the squirrel is intact, alive, and healthy, with no deformities or missing body parts.

AndyZ

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 21, 2012, 10:30:59 AM
My turn for an old saw.

There is an old stump containing seven ears of corn. A squirrel can remove three ears per day. Assuming nothing else interferes, how long does it take for the squirrel to empty the stump?

Also guessing that nobody's adding corn, that when you say that the squirrel removes ears, you mean ears of corn, and that by "empty the stump" you mean to remove all seven ears.  I'm not really good at word tricks, I guess.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

TheGlyphstone

...you're getting closer.

Oniya

With the addition of 'wordplay' as a factor, I'm going to say...

Seven days.  Each day, the squirrel removes one ear of corn and two ears of squirrel.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on April 22, 2012, 05:37:26 PM
With the addition of 'wordplay' as a factor, I'm going to say...

Seven days.  Each day, the squirrel removes one ear of corn and two ears of squirrel.

Got it. ;D

Amy Liz

Here's an illusion, a different kind of brain teaser ;)

MissFemdom

Quote from: Liz on April 24, 2012, 04:44:30 AM
Here's an illusion, a different kind of brain teaser ;)

Nice one! Love these eye teasers!

Amy Liz

Me too!

This one is pretty cool too :)

Zandra

An old favorite of mine...

(Speaker looking at a Portrait of a Man)

Brothers and Sisters, I have none
But that man's Father is my Father's son..

What is the relationship of  "That Man in the Portrait" to the speaker?

Oniya

The Speaker is looking at a picture of himself.

TheGlyphstone

The speaker is a man looking at a picture of his son.

Zandra

Nice TheGlyphstone! Exactly right.  ;D

ChainsawAdams

The element of fire has all the biological requirements necessary to label it as living organism except for one.  What is the requirement that fire lacks that prevents it from being defined as a living entity? 
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
(Fridays 11pm EST on Party 934)
ON / OFF's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152802.0

Oniya

My guess would be organization.  Even the smallest bacteria have inter-cellular structures, where fire has no such differentiation.

ChainsawAdams

yeah, everything except for cellular structure,  Kind of a wild idea none the less.
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
(Fridays 11pm EST on Party 934)
ON / OFF's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152802.0

Chelemar

My guess at the fire anwer o.O
Fire does not have the ability to self-regulate.  It burns according to it's source, and whatever external forces are placed upon it.  It can't make itself burn hotter to get through a rain storm, or burn less to conserve fuel to save it's life. 

Chelemar

Here's one for you...

Riddle

I have one, you have one.
If you remove the first letter, a bit remains.
If you remove the second, bit still remains.
After much trying, you might be able to remove the third one also, but it remains.
It dies hard!

Sarena

My guess would be habit, Chelemar!

And how about leaving one of my own?

What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

AndyZ

Quote from: Sarena on August 04, 2012, 12:50:31 PM
My guess would be habit, Chelemar!

And how about leaving one of my own?

What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?

A river.

Neroon

Quote from: ChainsawAdams on August 02, 2012, 10:46:54 PM
The element of fire has all the biological requirements necessary to label it as living organism except for one.  What is the requirement that fire lacks that prevents it from being defined as a living entity?
Here's the textbook answer:

All living things are capable of seven characteristics.

While it can be argued that fire shows movement, respiration, growth, reproduction, excretion and nutition, fire lacks sensitivty.
And one for the pot:

Imagine you have two egg timers.  The sands in the first take 11 minutes to run out and the sand in the second take 7 minutes to run out.  How can you use them to measure exactly 15 minutes?
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Neroon on August 04, 2012, 04:51:54 PM
Here's the textbook answer:

All living things are capable of seven characteristics.

While it can be argued that fire shows movement, respiration, growth, reproduction, excretion and nutition, fire lacks sensitivty.
And one for the pot:

Imagine you have two egg timers.  The sands in the first take 11 minutes to run out and the sand in the second take 7 minutes to run out.  How can you use them to measure exactly 15 minutes?

Timer A = 11 minutes, Timer B = 7 minutes.
-Start them simultaneously.
-When Timer B has run out, there will be 4 minutes of sand left in Timer A.
-Start your 15 minute clock.
-When Timer A has finished draining, flip it over and reset it (Elapsed 4 minutes).
-Let Timer A drain all the way (Elapsed time, 4+11=15 minutes.

Neroon

You should be able to manage it without having to wait seven minutes before starting your 15 minutes.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy