Need advice buying a phone

Started by Sabby, October 04, 2011, 04:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I don't have a phone, or a lot of money, and can't afford a good plan or to keep stocking up with a prepaid, so I thought, duh, will just get an iPod touch! I won't be able to make calls, but I can chat on Messenger, check Elliquiy and post on Facebook, right?

Nahhh, found out just now those things only work on Wifi, so taking it with me into town is kind of pointless unless I wanna stop in the middle of grocery shopping to watch Power Rangers. But I tried looking for an alternative, and jumpin' German Shepherds fuck that. Don't people use words anymore, or number their products, how am I suppose to tell the difference between one capitalized jumble of letters and the next?

So what I need from my phone (I call it 'phone' when really I have no idea what you may call it, a pad, an ebook, whatever) is the ability to go online anywhere where there's signal, whether or not this costs me, I need to play movies and music, and I need Apps, so I can load my comic files.

Honestly, I'm cheap, I need the cheapest model possible, and if the cheaper ones are also bigger, then even better.

Rinzler

Looks to me you're looking to either get a smartphone or a tablet of some kind - in my experience, the cheapest deals you can get for these are ones running the Android OS. I have to admit, there's a little bit of a learning curve with Android - but once you get the hang of it, it's nice to use and extremely versatile. And there's pretty much an app for anything. Another good thing about Android is that there are many decent apps which are free!

I'd suggest googling Android smartphone & Android tablet deals, see what you come up with!

BTW, pretty much any smartphone or tablet is gonna be running a 3G or 4G internet connection, and you should be able to pick up a signal for this in most places.

Sabby

Thanks for the advice :) I did some checking on Ebay, and wow, I am glad I asked this instead of just getting an iPod Touch.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180718879529&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Looks great and its really cheap!

Rinzler

That looks a pretty good piece of hardware - not a name brand, so it's probably one of these Chinese pieces of kit that they keep knocking out (don't be put off by that - my Android phone, a ZTE Skate, is a Chinese OEM marketed by my phone network - and it works just sweet!) The 800mhz processor is okay - a tad slow these days, but you can get Android overclocking apps anyway :-) Android 2.2 has recently been superceded by 2.3, but you should be able to upgrade easily enough.

BTW, before you buy, have a look and see what you can get for a tablet running Android Honeycomb, which is a version of the OS specifically designed for tablets.

Sabby

Dude, I got about a half of that translated into English xD

Rinzler

LOL - in any case, that tablet looks pretty good to me, for what you want.

Just one thing about mobile 3G/4G internet. It's quick, but still nowhere near as quick as WiFi - so for movies, a WiFi signal is recommended.

Sabby

I'd have my movies already loaded onto it, the mobile net would be for chatting and browsing. Can I actually get MSN and Yahoo, or am I going to have to go browser based, like Meebo? And if it has Apps, that means I can get a comic reader and just load my comic files on, right?

Rinzler

No official MSN app for Android, but there are third party messengers which will accept the MSN feed, like this one: https://market.android.com/details?id=im.mercury.android&hl=en

Yep, you can get Yahoo messenger: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.im&feature=related_apps

And there's comic readers too, like this one: https://market.android.com/details?id=net.androidcomics.acv&feature=search_result (as to whether it will accept your files, I don't know, having never used a comic reader - but I'm sure there must be an app there which will suit your needs)

Sabby

Oh, I forgot, with this pad thingy I linked on Ebay, what do I need to do to get it net ready? Can I just turn it on and surf out of the box, or is this something I need to be on a plan for?

Rinzler

With WiFi, you should be able to surf straight out of the box, provided an accessible wireless point is nearby. As for 3G...you'll probably need a plan for that, as they are usually run by network operators. I had another look at the Ebay ad, and though 3G appears to be a feature, it doesn't mention anything about who'll be providing it. I'd recommend contacting the seller just to see if it already comes with a 3G network plan. If not, then you might have to shop around the various mobile network providers in your country for a 3G deal - most mobile operators do 3G services for ipads/tablets.

Autumn Sativus

A tablet isn't exactly the sort of thing you want to take with you for a walk or grocery shopping though. It's the size of a netbook.

What you're looking for is a decent, keyboard phone or (QWERTY) or a smart phone with a browser plan, if you want to be using it for portability. My phones (LG Rumor 2 & Samsung Link) come pre-loaded with MSN and Yahoo. Smart phones are better for that sort of thing but are more expensive and unless you plan to be replacing your computer with a phone (do you just want to use it to keep contact while out in town?) you should be able to get away with a cheaper end Smart phone or a Keyboard phone with the apps that you need pre-installed.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Sabby

I know all this, but I hate the screen size :( I like that pad for how big it is, and it's not too big for me to keep in my bag.

TheSorrow

Go for which you can afford and which will work for you. As for the IM's, you can get other applications to connect to other gateways (IM's) I use an app called IM+ and I connect to facebook, MSN, twitter and AIM through it. IM+ isn't the only app that can let you use other chat apps. There are a few out there.
PM me if you want to add me on skype/msn/aim/YIM :P I give free hugs/cookies/cuddles/kisses/more cookies/etc...

Anberlin

Hey there Sabby,

It's important to research the type of phone you want to get before you get it. Every spec and detail is important, and reading reviews about it's performance will pretty much tell you what you're spending your hard earned money on.

I recently got a 'Nexus S' Google Android phone. I spent a good week reading professional and personal reviews, phone comparisons, and handling the phone in person. I can tell you one thing, with a Google Android powered phone you can never go wrong. It's the biggest competitor out there against the Apple iPhone. The reason I went with the Nexus S was because of its faster memory processing in comparison to the iPhone 4G and Google application sync. There are may more additional features that come with Android phones that make it very convenient. You can do all the normal stuff, web browsing, checking e-mails, messengers, and using an app store that provides you with 1000s of apps. Just go to a local provider and ask them to check out their Android powered phones.

Izzie Aditi

I'd suggest an Android operated smartphone as well, HTC or Google Nexus. The biggest problem I encounter with my HTC Desire is the battery life, the battery drains extremely fast (even when you have all WiFi turned off, no extra apps running in the background etcetera). It's the sole reason I always bring my charger to work with me. My ex owned a Google Nexus and I regret not getting one of those: the battery lasts longer PLUS the screen is "better". You see every single fingerprint on my HTC (it's a touchscreen obviously) and even though his was a touchscreen as well, it got less "dirty". Yes, even when I used it for a week :P
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Sabby

Sigh... the tiny screen is a big downer for me, but I think I may have to find an iPhone rip off.

Sabby

In the end, reading comics and browsing and stuff is great, but I need a phone at the end of the day. So I checked some reviews, and this looks perfect for my price range.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Unlocked-Samsung-Galaxy-Gio-S5660-Touch-WiFi-3-2MP-/200656963906?pt=AU_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2eb8164942

A lot of it flies over my head, but I need to know its battery life and such. I think I know how to get a phone plan... wow, that sounded stupid even to me, haha xD I'm only 60 dollars short of this, with what I've saved, so I'm anxious to see if it's as good as it looks :)

Quote from: GOOGLEDetail Specification :

Processor: 800MHz processor
    Camera: 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, video capture QVGA@15fps
    Connection: GPRS, EDGE, 3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, microUSB v2.0
    Network: 2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, 3G HSDPA 900 / 2100
    Application: SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
    Size / Model: 110.5 x 57.5 x 12.2 mm / Full Touchscreen
    Memory: internal 158 MB, eksternal microSD up to 16GB (2GB included)
    Screen: TFT touchscreen, 16M colors, resolution 320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches, Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate, TouchWiz v3.0 UI, Swype text input method, Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
    Color Options: Black
    Browser: HTML, JAVA Via third party application
    Battery: Li-Ion 1350 mAh

Other Features:
- SNS integration
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- A-GPS support
- Document viewer/editor
- Predictive text input
- Digital compass
- MP4/H.264/H.263 player, MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Organizer
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- Voice memo/dial
- Image/video editor

Could someone pwease make that into english speakings? ^^'

Rinzler

That looks pretty good. The Android version (Froyo) is a little out of date, but it should be fine - and the 800mhz processor ain't bad; most games and apps should zip along reasonably well enough.

One point of concern, though - given that you're wanting to read comics on it, you might find that the 320 x 480 pixel resolution might not offer enough detail. Course, you can always zoom in easily enough, but I'd look into seeing what you can get for a phone with around an 800x480 pixel resolution.

Sabby

It wouldn't matter, there is no way I am reading without zooming even with a Pad, let alone a phone, so the point is totally mute. That, and I already looked anyway, this still seems my best option.

Rinzler

Sounds good to me, then! And Android phones are a lot of fun...

Frelance

There is a Canadian company that teamed up with the Indian government that  has just started to release a tablet that goes for about $50. It is not anything amazing but it is also the first one from this company and was made to be cheap. There is also the Kindle fire which has some of the best web browsing speeds.

$50 Tablet: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Aakash-a-Made-in-India-sub-50-Tablet/Article1-754185.aspx

Kindle Fire : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/ref=famstripe_kf
Evolution is an arms race

Sabby

I'm not THAT cheap xD ...by a huge margin.

Frelance

LOL I thought I would mention it that is all. Anyway the Kindle fire is up with the iPad for performance but Amazon just made it a hell of a lot cheaper.
Evolution is an arms race