Top 10 new species of 2011

Started by voixdecoeur, June 08, 2011, 12:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voixdecoeur

Ummm... You guys know I can't stand spiders. That Darwin's bark spider pretty much sounds like my worst nightmare.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-05/gallery-top-10-new-species-2010
http://www.popsci.com/science/gallery/2011-05/top-10-new-species-2011

There's also a "pancake batfish" which just makes me smile, and a bacterium that is currently nomming on the Titanic.
Just for today.

Oniya

I think the jumping cockroach is the stuff of nightmares, although finding a leech on one's nasal membranes is right up there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on June 08, 2011, 12:39:15 PM
I think the jumping cockroach is the stuff of nightmares

If I were still living in Greece, I'd be fumigating my room before going to bed. For sure.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

I dunno ... the six-foot carnivorous lizards with a paralyzing bite creeping through the trees overhead are a little worrisome.

Oniya

A six foot lizard does not scurry across your foot without warning, or leap out of your cupboard when you're getting your breakfast.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

voixdecoeur

Quote from: Oniya on June 08, 2011, 03:06:41 PM
A six foot lizard does not scurry across your foot without warning, or leap out of your cupboard when you're getting your breakfast.

oh god, what a valid point.

::is now skittish around her cupboards::
Just for today.

Lilias

Quote from: voixdecoeur on June 08, 2011, 03:11:44 PM
oh god, what a valid point.

::is now skittish around her cupboards::

In my mum's kitchen, in Athens, we have a resident gecko (an albino, no less), who helps with pest control, but I'm not sure even Gordon would manage such critters. >_<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

I would cheerfully share my kitchen with a gecko.  Little lizards are cute. 

(And big lizards can be stopped by closing the front door.)

Lithos

I would still rather not have that one at my door x.x
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Shjade

"The bark spider spins the largest orb-style webs in the world with a silk that is ten times stronger than Kevlar"

Clearly this is where the military's research department should focus its attention.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.