Vampires: how do we like them?

Started by Beorning, December 09, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

A query, somewhat inspired by the World of Darkness thread: what is your favourite way of portraying vampires, if any?

Do you like them sympathetic or not? Gifted with natural sophistication - or freakish like Max Schreck in Nosferatu? Really undead and literally damned - or just victims of peculiar addiction? Inherently evil - or being the same folks they were before they became vampires? Vulnerable to sunlight or not?

Discuss, people :)

Moraline

World of Darkness Vampires are my favorite version. They come in flavors and run a full range of appearances and personalities. Best of all, none of them sparkle.

Chris Brady

Staked, sun-baked and charbroiled.

They make great villains, but sexing up corpses is disgusting to me.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Skynet

I like to portray them as powerful, mysterious entities which can blend in with society yet are always apart due to their cursed natures.

They are not monsters so much as humans who can either overcome their lust for blood or fall to it, becoming little more than crazed beasts.

Vampires are best done in shades of grey, capable of being heroes, villains, or something in between.

I do have a bias in favor of "human-looking" vampires over bestial ones, due to my above preferences.

Kunoichi

I like the quirky, comedic vampires like Count von Count from Sesame Street or the undead portion of the cast of Hellsing Abridged. ^^

Jag

I used to say I liked all vampires, but Twilight changed that. I'm all up for a writer or storyteller putting a new spin on what a vampire is. If they can get a massive amount of society to agree and like their version, good for them. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. This is my list so far...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Anne Rice:
Lestat is a whiny brat, but sexy.
Louis is a whiny bitch, but he still has humanity within him.
Armand is a whore, but he still a whore.
Marius is a slut, but he's sophisticated.
Nicolas is bat-shit crazy, but he played the violin so well till he lost his hands.
Gabrielle is a wild bitch, but she's a damn strong woman going after what she wants.

Angel/Buffy:
Angel is king of the dust bunny vampires, but he's still a badass.
Spike is annoying as hell, but sexy.

Midnight Predator:
Jeshickah is a sadist, but he can use a whip in all the right ways.

The Twins Effect (also known as The Vampire Effect):
Kazaf is a pitiful teenager, but he knows how to feed in style.

Sookie Stackhouse Novels/True Blood:
Eric is too full of himself, but who doesn't love a Viking?
Bill is a whiny bitch, but he's a big whiny bitch.

So yeah, I love vampires in almost all their incarnations. I've not done much tabletop gaming, so I can't really comment on that.

Generally, I prefer my vampires to be undead and unable to partake in sexual interactions. I want them strong and to be feared for what they are, not lusted after.

None of this:

I prefer monsters. Not whiny brats who spend eternity whining about not having love and crap. I would prefer them to throw people into walls and crush their skulls after feeding. They don't even need to seduce their victims into a dark alley. Just grab, drag, feed, and crush...though I will make small exceptions for specific people when it comes to roleplaying.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Kunoichi

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 09, 2012, 10:00:40 PM
I prefer monsters. Not whiny brats who spend eternity whining about not having love and crap. I would prefer them to throw people into walls and crush their skulls after feeding. They don't even need to seduce their victims into a dark alley. Just grab, drag, feed, and crush...though I will make small exceptions for specific people when it comes to roleplaying.

It sounds like you would greatly enjoy a series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation, then. ^^ The vampire villain for the first part of the series is a bit of a pretty-boy, but he's about as evil as they come.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 09, 2012, 10:00:40 PM

This sort of vampire perhaps?

Jag

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 09, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
It sounds like you would greatly enjoy a series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation, then. ^^ The vampire villain for the first part of the series is a bit of a pretty-boy, but he's about as evil as they come.

Googled that. Eh, not really my thing. Not too big on the anime/manga stuff anymore.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 09, 2012, 10:28:18 PM
This sort of vampire perhaps?

*purrs* Yesssss.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 09, 2012, 10:31:03 PM
Googled that. Eh, not really my thing. Not too big on the anime/manga stuff anymore.

Awww.  Oh well.

Jag

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 09, 2012, 10:37:27 PM
Awww.  Oh well.

I do still, though rarely, read manga, but it usually boarders on highly sadistic and violent. >.<

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 09, 2012, 10:31:03 PM

*purrs* Yesssss.

You know what I like BEST about that movie.. not ONCe was the 'V-word' said. NOT ONCE.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 09, 2012, 10:38:41 PM
I do still, though rarely, read manga, but it usually boarders on highly sadistic and violent. >.<

Hmm.  Well, the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga does have violence in spades, but that's more a case of it having started back in the 80s, when punching people until they explode was popular.  Though, it has remained pretty consistent with its violence, even into the present day.

I guess you probably wouldn't like the anime adaptation, though.  They censor a lot of the violence. ^^;

Jag

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 09, 2012, 10:50:13 PM
You know what I like BEST about that movie.. not ONCe was the 'V-word' said. NOT ONCE.

*nods*

Agreed.

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 09, 2012, 10:50:42 PM
Hmm.  Well, the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga does have violence in spades, but that's more a case of it having started back in the 80s, when punching people until they explode was popular.  Though, it has remained pretty consistent with its violence, even into the present day.

I guess you probably wouldn't like the anime adaptation, though.  They censor a lot of the violence. ^^;

Punching people till their heads exploding wasn't the sort of violence I was referring to. Vampires in anime/cartoon/manga/comics are just dull. Even Alucard is somewhat boring to me. The violence I look for in manga these days is more along the lines of sadistic.

As for anime, just don't watch much anymore. I have all the DBZ on dvd and I love them dearly...but mostly just for nostalgic reasons.

Kunoichi

bubby

I like the monsters too. teeth and blood and scary and powerful.

And this:  ;D

Jim Carrey - Dracula meets Wanda

Starlequin

Can't believe no one has mentioned Mick St. John yet. A vampire with common sense. How freakin' rare is that?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

bubby

Beorning

To throw in my 5 cents...

My favourite version of vampires is Bram Stoker's Dracula. The movie got so many things right:

- vampires' twisted sexuality,
- the overall weirdness and inhumanity of vampires,
- vampires changing into wolves,
- vampires *not* burning in sunlight!

Of course, the novel its based is very right, too (and still scary, even if over a century old).

When it comes to the versions I didn't like, I'm not too fond of vampires in Buffy (what's up with the warped faces?) and in the original Fright Night (too much teeth!). I also hated the way they were presented in Van Helsing. But that's an awful movie overall...

Starlequin

Van Helsing may have sucked, but any film that can contain the combined sexy of Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale (damn, that leather, ungh!) deserves its props.

Also, yes, the whole Fright Night franchise rawks.  Yes, even the reboot. Yes, even with Colin 'I'm sexy, but I'm also a tool' Farrell.

Oh, and while I'm feeling ranty, the Dresden Files' Vampire Courts are pretty frickin' cool, too. The two that aren't extinct, anyway. >:)

Beorning

Quote from: Starlequin on December 10, 2012, 01:15:41 AM
Van Helsing may have sucked, but any film that can contain the combined sexy of Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale (damn, that leather, ungh!) deserves its props.

I don't know. The leather didn't impress me at all, as I kept thinking that no people in 19th century dressed like that... It was silly.

Also, I plainly don't think that Kate Beckinsale is *that* hot.

Finally, the movie just annoyed me by changing... well, *everything* about Van Helsing's character. It pains me to think that there might be people who take this travesty as a faithful representation of the literary material... The only other movie with this kind of disregard is an utterly stupid movie Stay Alive, which claims that Elizabeth Bathory was a plantator from New Orleans  ::)

Starlequin

Meh, I can honestly say she never once inspired me to contemplate the historical or cultural inaccuracies of the film's costume department. Just an appreciation for their flagrant disregard for giving a damn. :P
(But Stay Alive did forcefully inhale primate testicles. You ain't wrong on that one. Ugh.)

Beorning

Quote from: Starlequin on December 10, 2012, 01:46:08 AM
Meh, I can honestly say she never once inspired me to contemplate the historical or cultural inaccuracies of the film's costume department. Just an appreciation for their flagrant disregard for giving a damn. :P

Oh, it's not only about the costumes. The whole "Gabriel Van Helsing" bit really annoyed me...

And overall, it was simply an awful, idiotic movie. I found it literally painful to watch.

Quote(But Stay Alive did forcefully inhale primate testicles. You ain't wrong on that one. Ugh.)

The sad thing? There are reviews over at the IMDB that praise this movie as "based on a real story". One review even praised the details as accurate... It makes me want to scream. Making a Hungarian noblewoman into a New Orleans plantation owner is *accurate*???

Jag

Quote from: Beorning on December 10, 2012, 04:40:55 AM
The sad thing? There are reviews over at the IMDB that praise this movie as "based on a real story". One review even praised the details as accurate... It makes me want to scream. Making a Hungarian noblewoman into a New Orleans plantation owner is *accurate*???

I forgot about that movie. >.<

I remember the first time the hubby went to watch it. I heard Elizabeth Báthory and Plantation Owner and just went: O_o

Lilias

Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles de Rais are that class of 'monster' that one can (try to) claim they were anything. >_>

I think of vampires in WoD terms as well. It's interesting to think which living qualities would be enhanced in unlife and which ones would atrophy. The process of degeneration is fascinating - whether it goes down the detachment or the rage path.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI