Adventurer's Guild (5th Edition DND)

Started by Lyku, December 12, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyku

I am checking interest for players for an Adventurer's Guild RPG.  It will be a game with a loose limit, and if the interest is high, I will look into a co-DM.  The game will have an area where players can intereact with a casual setting, allowing friendship, romance, and whatnot.  The game will consist of a good amount of short adventures and will be made so that they might be for smaller groups, larger or even solo adventurers.  There will be dungeon crawling, finding loot and hopefully personal growth.  I am also encouraging players to develop a background so that people can have personal stories also to help mold them into the heroes (Or villians <_<) that they want to be.

For those interested, there are a couple guidelines.

Alignement for character have to be non-Evil.  Perhaps that might change if you go that route and such progression needs to make sense (Lawful Good saying 'Well, time to slaughter this orphanage for the lawls" is no bueno and more seems completely out of alignment UNLESS there is a reason (I have good reason to believe these are all secretly demons..)

Starting states for the characters are as followed 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8.

This is a game I want to run more often.  As such, I want players to give their post pace preference, so that when adventurer's do occur, people are on the same track.

All Characters start at Level 1 with the standard beginning gear.

For players that do not have the ability to play every day, I will be incorporating a training option, which will allow XP growth which can be done when you are NOT on an adventure.  This means you will accrue XP as your character trains even if the player is not present.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Chulanowa

I'm interested!

There any teasers for beginning plot?

Lyku

I will try to post that information in just a bit.  I want this to be a game that players will be able to approach it how they want.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lynx181

Count me in too, but just to warn you my hours around are wierd

Isengrad

I am looking to get back into Elliquiy and I do absolutely love 5th edition, have been on a big kick for that latly. Would love to Come in with a Tempest cleric. I should be able to post once a day(that's the goal, busy season right now). I usually play dwarf but I think a Human Cleric of the Storm would feel nice. What kind of setting are you thinking of using?

original artwork by karabiner

Ershin

I've been wanting to try out 5th for ages though my real life group refuses to even try it, so please count me amongst those expressing interest.

Bibliophilia

Lyku

I will be posting more specifics tomorrow when i am in front of an actual PC so I can copy and paste.  The world is one at war.  You all are recruits to one of the larger Adventure Guilds.  The home base is a moderate size city and there are different parts of the city for those of different prestige.  Each member will be given a license for missions.  Better licenses are needed for stronger missions.  The better the missions, the better the reward along with additional previledges/responsibilities within the town.  Some beginner missions may be as simple as handling bandits, but some might also take non-combativie approaches, including diplomacy.  Depending on how you handle a situation may affect the views of those who hired you and could help you in future adventures. Taking up a mission will also require you purchasing the rights to it, with the price always less than the reward.  When getting your license, you will get a few free missions, as is a gift, so that you will be able to start turning an income.

The big emphasis of this game is that this is one that people will be able to play for a long time, post at the rate that they want, and ideally will have room for additional players.  For the time being, I am restricting each player to only one character.

Some missions may go as according to plan while others might have a few curve balls.

Now, missions will have recommended numbers.   This does not mean it can ONLY be completed with those numbers.  If there is a mission that they feel one person can handle it, and you want to head in with two of your friends, the rewards will be smaller (As I am assuming you will be splitting the rewards with those there).  That being said, you can also grab rights to a stronger mission if you feel you are badass and can handle it alone or with less people.

This guild has multiple divisions, so as things progress, you may venture out and explore the world. 

Be warned, your actions may affect the future, be it in a good way or a bad way.
---

One option I am considering is the option of retirement.  I am still working out the details, but it is more for those people who find they are either losing interest in a character or need a break.  If you retire out a character, you will be permitted to make ONE additional character. 
Your primary character will become unavailable to play for some period of time (I am leaning towards 2-4 weeks.). The new character will be able to be made at 1/2 the character level of your primary character.  Any desire to pull in a third character will result in you permanently getting rid of one of your two other characters.  After this decision is made, a 24 hour window will open incase you have any second thoughts, but after that time, the character will be removed permanently.

If you have any questions regarding 5th edition, do not hesitate PMing me about it.  Depending on the turn out of the those interested, I might look into an assistant DM, who would still be permitted to have a character and merely would not be able to run scenes involving their own character (If it is a scene that their character was not initially involved in and there character must join in, I will take over running it to permit them to play their character.)

People can start posting their characters that they want to play.  I will be setting up an intro post tomorrow and in all honesty, I will be able to start setting up mission details tomorrow more than likely.

Remember that you do not need to start adventuring immediately if you want to socialize.  Lodging for beginning licenses is provided, but it is very minimal.  The other thing to consider is, if you get the funds and eventually want to contribute to the city in other ways, that is something that can happen. (You want to eventually open a bar for income on the side, more power to you And I hope you have some connections from past adventures.)

Right now, I have no desire to count each day as one day, but will instead be counting every 2 weeks of real time as 1 week in game time.  This way scenes will be able to be paced.  If anyone has any ideas they want to inquire or see if it would be something to enrich the experience, feel free to PM me.

-Lyku

Chulanowa

Well, I know one thing for certain... i DON'T wanna play another rogue. so if someone else wants to pick that up!

Also Lyku, are the unearthed arcanae allowed for this? -Eyeballing certain races and class options-

Bibliophilia

And, are we allowed to go with the variant human option?

Chulanowa

Bibliophilia

Lyku

So, a couple things... first...

No ponies, real or otherwise until you can actually afford them.  Get the money and you can make yourself a pony farm if you want.

For the time being, I am thinking about restricting the use of the Unearthed Arcana, solely as I do not have the book and I'm not familiar enough with the material. 

I am permitted human variant.

I also spoke with Sherlock, as some of people know, had to close the SGA game due to personal reasons.  I have decided to allow players who were in this to bring over their characters if they want.  All characters were level one, but it would allow them to come with the XP and the experiences they had.  I am doing this as I know some people wanted to see how those characters would progress. 

Considering this will involve adventures, that small XP difference can easily caught up, as XP will be award for monsters, tasks, etc.

I will be placing this information in the SGA OOC group made by Sherlock to open up to other players, which will allow people to keep old character bonds and to create new ones.

Bibliophilia

Yay, human variant!  I don't have to be mashed potatoes without salt.

-giggles.-

Chulanowa

Quote from: Lyku on December 13, 2015, 11:34:51 PM
For the time being, I am thinking about restricting the use of the Unearthed Arcana, solely as I do not have the book and I'm not familiar enough with the material. 

Well, luckily they're free online articles / PDFs from WotC: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/wiki/resourcelist

QuoteI also spoke with Sherlock, as some of people know, had to close the SGA game due to personal reasons.  I have decided to allow players who were in this to bring over their characters if they want.  All characters were level one, but it would allow them to come with the XP and the experiences they had.  I am doing this as I know some people wanted to see how those characters would progress.

Well, hmmmm!

Bibliophilia

Lyku, are you allowing Aasimar?  'Cause...reasons.

persephone325

*peeks in*

I'm only familiar with Pathfinder, but being introduced to it really got me interested in the whole D&D world.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Lyku

As Unearthed Arcana is apparently a free PDF and accessible... I can not deny it's existance and thus it is usable.

What book is Aasimar from?

5th is similar to Pathfinder in someways and different in others.  You are more than welcome and if you have questions regarding 5th, myself and I can assume some of the players will be willing to help you out with things.

To confirm, this game is friendly for all genders and sexualities.  This is a collective story that all of you are co-authors for and thus your unique flairs are a good thing... unless it is massive player killing.  That would make me sad.  I just create the scenarios to kill.. er... encourage you. :)

Isengrad

Assimar is presented in the DMG in the Dms workshop section on creating new races or subraces Page 286. Eledrin is also given as a Subrace for elf on the same page.

Lyku

Thank you, so yes, permitted.  When creating sheets, please put racial bonuses on it for easy reference.

Isengrad

Can we get a link to the SGA ooc you speak of? Like I said I am just getting back into this place and am having trouble finding it.

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest also to join in, not sure what race/class exactly (need go check my PDF at home). But definately interested and potentially co-GM.

Lyku

This is the link to the OOC thread for Sherlock's SGA game:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=238223.0

Zaer, I will take note of your potential interest as a co-DM.  I will see how things look.  I will try to get up the intro in the next few hours.