Running the Realms (3.5 NC Exotic System game recruitment)

Started by Tagan, September 25, 2010, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagan

I'm looking for one or two good players, who are also good writers who post often. (I already have 4)

Here is the original recruitment thread.  Original

Main changes from this are the game has progressed now to 5th lvl, and 3 ecl is now allowed.

If someone would be willing to continue a Tiefling Paladin, bonus!  Otherwise, a spot for a new character or two to join the group is coming up soon.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  There is a character I've been wanting to play...

For races, would an Exiled Modron be alright to play?  They're in the Races document on Crystal Keep, page 34 to be precise.  I've got a great concept for a character, though I've yet to nail down a specific class for her. ^^;

Tagan

I'm not objecting... an exiled outsider would work nicely... However, do you have a picture for the character?  The Modron I remember is from the 1st Ed Monster Manual, and this can't be the same critter.

One other point... is there an LA listed somewhere?  It looks like about a 2 to me, if not.

Tackyhillbilly

Tagan

Not completely.  But until I get a copy and understand it fully, it stays very limited.  Feats, ok.  But no classes or powers until then.

(And I'm very broke, both money and time.)

Tagan

Very much so.  Like RA Salvatore, a part of me died with 4.0.

Kolbrandr

Cool, figured I would check to be sure before pondering a concept. Wasn't a fan of the Realmsnuke either.

Tackyhillbilly

Ehhh, then I won't bother. I wanted to try a Bardblade I've had around for a while out.

Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel alright? I wouldn't have any ranks of the PRC to begin with, but I would pick them up next level.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 12:25:35 AM
I'm not objecting... an exiled outsider would work nicely... However, do you have a picture for the character?  The Modron I remember is from the 1st Ed Monster Manual, and this can't be the same critter.

One other point... is there an LA listed somewhere?  It looks like about a 2 to me, if not.

Modrons from 1e looked a little goofy, but they got a re-envisioning in 2e that made them a little less so, keeping the geometrical shapes but adding in a clockwork theme and fleshing out their society.  That's the point where they got taken a little more seriously, though their spot in the cosmology was taken over by the Formians during 3.0 and onwards.  For this particular character, I put my meager artistic skills to work to give her a more humanoid form(slightly NSFW), but she's more of a unique case, and at any rate, it wouldn't have any effect on her stats, other than perhaps height and weight.

Really?  Compared to Warforged, I think they break about even, though.  Either way, the Dragon Magazine article presenting their stats gives them an LA of +1.

Tagan

Hmm... The lack of natural weaknesses is greater than a Warforged, and the NA and resistances knock it up again.  I'll tell you what, play a wizard or another int based class, 2 LA.  Otherwise 1 LA.

(I'm looking at other 2 LA races for comparison.  I'll admit it's bit low powered for a regular 2, but the race would make a nasty wizard, especially considering the polymorphing into other outsiders trick.)

Kolbrandr

I'm working on a human male rogue 3/Paladin 2 (of Torm) at the moment, posting up the backstory in a bit, then going forward to work on stats if you're cool with it.

Probably going to take able learner and that "can keep taking rogue and paladin levels" feat from complete adventurer if you're cool with those besides.

ff

Tagan, if it helps your thought process, I've played 3.5 with Kunoichi and she's an excellent player (and one of the only I've ever seen correct a DM when it was against their PC's favor!). I'd be pleased to have her in the Realms party.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 02:14:09 AM
Hmm... The lack of natural weaknesses is greater than a Warforged, and the NA and resistances knock it up again.  I'll tell you what, play a wizard or another int based class, 2 LA.  Otherwise 1 LA.

(I'm looking at other 2 LA races for comparison.  I'll admit it's bit low powered for a regular 2, but the race would make a nasty wizard, especially considering the polymorphing into other outsiders trick.)

The lack of natural weaknesses compared to Warforged is a bit of a problem, but the NA and the (in my opinion) rather pathetic resistances seem to me to be a little under-par compared to a Warforged's natural attack and built-in Light Fortification.  The Vulnerability to Surprise and need to have clothing and armor custom-made balance out the other racial traits, though, and the attributes are balanced, if geared towards Int- and Con-based classes.

Hmm.  If we were to toss on the Extraplanar subtype, (which does nothing but make you vulnerable to effects that affect Extraplanar creatures, such as Dismissal and Banishment and other such things,) would that be enough to balance things out?  The people who wrote Magic of Incarnum certainly thought it was enough to balance out making Dusklings LA+0 Fey...  It also fits the character, since technically she's native to Mechanus in the first place.

(Most creatures with LA have the LA horribly overpriced, however.  Case in point: The humble Blue. ^^; Additionally, Modrons aren't Outsiders, they're constructs, so that trick wouldn't be available.  And if I make this character a Wizard, she'll be a Conjurer anyway, not a Transmuter.  She'll probably be a Psion if I make her any sort of Caster at all, though.)

Primarch

Would applying the Half-Nymph template be possible? I played a Gray Elf/Half Nymph before, t'was great fun.

Tagan

Having slept on it, (and having glanced at the Half-Nymph) I'll go for Exiled Modron as 1 LA... and as you pointed  out, she's a construct.  (Would she, or it be more appropriate?)

Oh, and Half-Nymph, fine.  It's certainly worth it's 3 LA.

Tackyhillbilly

How about Mountebank? (It is a Prestige Class from Complete Scoundrel.)

My character would like start out as Rogue 5, though.

Tagan

Rogue 5 is fine, and I'll check Mountebank tomorow when I have access to the Complete Scoundrel.

NicciKotor

How goes recruitment, any more openings? Always up to do a cleric character, always do find those fun to game on.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Tackyhillbilly

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=243064

The sheet without any fluff (which I do have, but needs to be worked to fit into the campaign.)

Where are the PC's at the moment? And what languages should we know (so communication isn't a problem.)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 10:39:06 AM
Having slept on it, (and having glanced at the Half-Nymph) I'll go for Exiled Modron as 1 LA... and as you pointed  out, she's a construct.  (Would she, or it be more appropriate?)

I suppose 'it' would be more appropriate...  Although she considers herself a 'she'.

Any thoughts about tossing on the Extraplanar subtype? ^^;

Edit: Are classes from Magic of Incarnum alright?  I'm looking at either Incarnate or Totemist...

Tagan

Nicki, applications are still being accepted.

Tacky, the PC's are in the Dales, currently in a lich's tomb.  However, any Faerun background, and even an extra dimensional background, can be fitted in.  As for language, common's the only one they all share.

Kuno, I don't have access to the Magic of Incarnum... So probably not.  As for the extraplaner subtype...  do you want it added on?  Makes more sense to me for an 'exiled' Modron to be fixed to the Prime Material.

Primarch

Quick question, I've never actually used a point buy in before, and I'm just wondering, what do we base the stats at before applying our buy in?

Tagan

Stats are like this.
Points=Stat
0=8
1=9
2=10
3=11
4=12
5=13
6=14
8=15
10=16
13=17
16=18

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 05:28:11 PM
Kuno, I don't have access to the Magic of Incarnum... So probably not.  As for the extraplaner subtype...  do you want it added on?  Makes more sense to me for an 'exiled' Modron to be fixed to the Prime Material.

Darn.  I guess I'd probably have to go for Psion, then...  Still, if you don't have the book, I guess it can't be helped.  It isn't overpowered at all, but the rules for Incarnum are a bit complex.

Well, I was specifically wondering if adding on the Extraplanar subtype might be enough of a weakness to negate the advantages provided by the Construct(Living Construct) type and subtype, and bring her back down to LA+0.  I don't mind dealing with an LA of +1 if necessary, but I have a strong dislike of Level Adjustment in general and don't mind taking on a few extra disadvantages if it means I don't have to deal with it. ^^; I also think it makes perfect sense, character-wise, for her to still have some ties to Mechanus, even if she's been specifically cut loose from the Modron race itself.  And as I mentioned before, there is some precedent for it being used as a 'weakness' to make up for a strong type advantage.

Tagan

If it's just flavor your after, use a Warforged, and call it an Exiled Modron... that'd be 0 la.

You could even use the stat changes (IE plus to Int and Con, Minus to Dex and Cha)

In my opinon, the Exiled Modron is a very good single LA race... Taking the Tiefling as an example.  The immunities make a big difference.

Honestly, the outsider template, IMO, is as much an advantage as disadvantage... expecially at lower levels.

Kunoichi

Alright, I'll go for that, then. ^^

I'll have a Warforged (Exiled Modron) Psion (Shaper) ready for you by tomorrow.  I take it I should use 38 point-buy and standard starting wealth for a 5th-level character?

Tagan

Kunoichi

Ah, and I forgot to ask:  Traits and Flaws.  I was doing a bit of reading through the previous recruitment thread you linked to, and just to confirm...  One of each?

Tackyhillbilly

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=243064

Valrik's fluff is added. Personality, Appearance, and Background are at the bottom of the sheet.

If he gets accepted, I'll add more to the background, in order to dovetail him better with the party.

Tagan

Kunoichi

Well, it's tomorrow, so...

Name: Harmony
Race: Exiled Modron (refluffed Warforged stats)
Class: Psion (Shaper)
Appearance: Image Link (Drawn personally, NSFW)
Background: The story of Harmony, Exiled Modron Psion and Interior Decorator, began when she was first born from the great Energy Pool at the heart of Regulus, the Modron domain within Mechanus.  Born Monodrone 101172032, years of mindless toil saw her gradually promoted up the Modron hierarchy, from Monodrone to Duodrone, from Duodrone to Tridrone, and eventually from Tridrone to Quadrone.  From humble beginnings as a nearly-mindless little round ball with legs, she eventually made the transition up to a quite intelligent (though still low-ranked) cube with legs, and while not exactly happy with her life, it could certainly be said that she was by no means unhappy with it, either.

That all changed one day when a very peculiar set of orders came down from on high, however.  She was to drop whatever it was she was doing, take all Modron drones under her command, and join her fellow Modrons in a great March across the planes.  A Modron March such as this, while a great undertaking, was normally not that unusual...  But this one was unscheduled, taking place several centuries before the next scheduled March.  Very peculiar for beings of pure law and order.  Additionally, the orders had them all Marching to search for a certain item, a ruinous Wand that had once belonged to a dark power.  This March took the Modrons through many unusual and perilous places, and several of them were seperated from the group, split off and unable to return to Mechanus.

Fortunately for Quadrone 101172032, she got lost in Brightwater, where the good-aligned natures of the local denizens and her own cute (if bizarre) appearance let her make some friends, who nicknamed her 'Harmony' because it was easier to pronounce than Quadrone 101172032.  Her tendency to automatically re-arrange her surroundings under Feng Shui principles allowed her to open a business for herself as an interior decorator, and eventually, her exposure to a variety of good and chaotic viewpoints saw her go rogue.  As a result, when a squad of Modrons finally tracked her down, they had a hostile reaction to her, sentencing her to summary execution in order to prevent her from wreaking havoc among the Modron race.

Naturally, the friends she'd made on Brightwater would have none of that, and after destroying the squad sent after her, they all proceeded together to Mechanus, where, after several court hearings and the filling-out of several actual mountains of paperwork, she was approved for exile.  Taken to the Energy Pool, she underwent a ritual that saw her connection to it severed, freeing her from her obligations and transforming her body into an entirely new form.  Now free to wander, she is currently travelling the Prime Material Plane alone in an effort to establish her own identity and find her way in the world, her friends left behind on Brightwater to carry on their own lives.
Sheet link: Harmony, Exiled Modron Psion (Shaper)

Edit: Gave my application some proper formatting.

Primarch

I too have one to submit!

Name: Arenathon
Race: Half-Nymph/Gray Elf
Class(es): Monk
Appearance: Appearance
Background:
Arenathon was born over one hundred years ago to a clan of Gray Elves that lived quite secluded in the mountains. His father was in fact head of the clan and Arenathon would have some day taken the role, should he have stayed on. However, he did not. The half-breed that is Arenathon found life among the Gray Elves impossible, his father had none of the virtues a true Gray Elf should have, in young Arenathon's eyes. He was aloof & improper, taking a Nymph for a wife. His mother was, while loving, caused as much trouble for him as she did help him in life. Growing up their is always teasing, but when your mother is a Nymph...it can get bad.

This is what caused the young Arenathan (then barely a pup of forty) to branch out on his own, he turned his back on his clan, if they supported his overly decadent father, then none of them were Gray Elves. When more of the forest Nymphs started moving into the mountain retreat of the Gray Elves, Arenathon simply couldn't take it. He had the falling out to end all falling outs with his father and left. Whatever hope for the two to live in the same land seemed to disappear.

What none new however was the real reason Arenathon left, not because his father was more fun loving then the average Gray Elf and the Clan was starting to welcome the ever promiscuous Nymphs into their land....it was because Arenathon himself had all the passion of his mother, an eager urging that threatened to boil over at any moment and see him drunk on wife and with as many partners as he could get his nimble fingers on. That was not a Gray Elf....Arenathon refused to be that.

So the youthful Elf wandered the lands, searching for something to ease his turmoil and give him inner piece....one day he met a Monk on a long lonely road. The rest is as they say, history.
Sheet link: Mythweaver Sheet

Kate

this closed tagan ? do u have all the slots you want filled ?

Tagan

Not closed yet no.  The opening is going to be filled shortly, but until that time has come i'm accepting applicaions.

Primarch

bump to let you I believe my character sheet is finished (I must confess its been a while since I did 3.5 so if there's something wrong please let me know, I'll fix asap!)

Tagan

Edit: Woops, wrong person.

Primarch, I like the concept, but I am a bit surprised how you carried it out.  I might have done it differently.

Primarch

A ring of protection here, a headpiece of wisdom there, plus the Monk unarmoured bonus from level 5, he'll be grand!

Kunoichi

Incidentally, may I ask what the current makeup of the group is? ^^; I've taken a look at the character sheet thread, but from what I gather, not all of the characters posted there are currently in the party.

Tagan

Fair enough.

Kurgan, Dwarven Ranger/Fighter/Rogue, and current trapfinder.
Aura, Elven Ranger and party Archer
Cordale, Human Cleric of Kelvemor
Myrna, Dwarf Artificer
Dora, Ex-familiar Cat Druid

Tackyhillbilly

Alright. If you got a chance to look at the Mountebank, give me a yay or a nay on it. If it won't work, I'll switch some skill points around.

Tagan

Tackyhillbilly

Alright. Well, I guess I'm waiting to see if I make the cut.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 27, 2010, 05:47:27 PM
Fair enough.

Kurgan, Dwarven Ranger/Fighter/Rogue, and current trapfinder.
Aura, Elven Ranger and party Archer
Cordale, Human Cleric of Kelvemor
Myrna, Dwarf Artificer
Dora, Ex-familiar Cat Druid

Ah, looks like a fairly balanced party, then.  If Harmony is chosen to join the group, she'll probably be relying on Astral Construct most of the time, with assorted battlefield-control and direct-damage powers tossed out as necessary.  I think she stands a decent chance of being able to be a useful member of the party. ^^

Kolbrandr

sheet's up here http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=243363

edit: and put the backstory in his notes besides.

Tagan

I have made one selection!

A second is still possible, I am still debating the idea.

Thanks to everyone who applied!