D&D (in every incarnation), Pathfinder and other System Games

Started by LunarSage, July 05, 2011, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I've seen them cut through space battleships for that matter :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: LunarSage on July 27, 2011, 09:28:42 PM
*Remembers Oriental Adventures in AD&D and shudders*

Because anything "Eastern" has to be superior to normal "Western" themed content in just about -any- RPG.

*Remembers the big fanboy katana obsession from the 90s and shudders again*

I think I can safely place the blame for my katana/Eastern period squarely on the fact that the katana did more damage than the longsword in AD&D2e.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 28, 2011, 08:45:49 AM
But was true! Katanas could totally cut through tanks! I saw it on the internet!
True, but only if you mean this tank here!

Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Ravenhawk

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion of homebrewed, and it reminded me of a core class a group I was with came up with a few years ago, the Elven Bladedancer. Using the samurai as a template,  we replaced the katana and the shorter version (can't remember the name off the top of my head) with the elven thinblade and trueblade, then replaced heavy armor with weapon finesse. after that we just went through and changed the descriptive texts and names to elven themed ones. The idea was to have a martial class that complemented blade singers. Like that brazilian martial art, training katas were often performed to music.

In this vein, who has a homebrewed class that you liked and describe it pls.

{BTW: All of my source books are currently packed away due to a move, so some of the names may be wrong, and unfortunately my notes on the class were lost when that computer fried it's hard drive.}

TheGlyphstone

I wrote a "Witch Doctor" class once - a Transmutation-heavy specialty caster in the same vein as the Warmage, Beguiler, and Dread Necromancer. Its main class feature was the ability to weave voodoo dolls of other people and use them as sympathetic link to deliver touch spells and stuff. Never got to playtest it, though, so I dunno how balanced it would have been (well, broken because it could cast Polymorph, but other than that...)

LunarSage

Is it just me or does it seem like every level appropriate monster has saves that make spells that require saves against them to be next to useless? 

I can't count the number of times someone cast a spell at a monster and the DM was like "well let's see if I roll lower than a 3... nope.  It saves."

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Kunoichi

Fort saves, definitely.  From what I've read, though, Reflex saves actually tend to tank when you go up the CR charts.  Probably the main reason hit points also tend to climb...

TheGlyphstone

It depends on the type - different monsters are strong or weak to different creatures.

Brandon

In pathfinder Fortitude and will tends to be the most powerful saves of monsters which makes a lot of sense. Generally speaking you have the big tough brute archetype or the spellcaster archetype for monsters design. There just arent that many that are built around speed  so I would say its more conceptually balanced

Still I never did like the idea of more hit points to make monsters more dangerous. I always liked giving them unique abilities more
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TheGlyphstone

The most dangerous monsters are ones that can act multiple times per turn - they also make the best boss monsters. Otherwise, they tend to simply be overwhelmed by a 4-1 or greater action ratio, even with a zillion HP to burn through.

LunarSage

Dragons get obscene full attacks, but in the end they tend to get taken down like chumps.  Now if they could full attack -and- cast a spell or breathe, they'd be dangerous.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, Dragons, despite their iconic status, still suffer from the action economy problem - big, though, high saves and HP and damage output, but they can only go after one person at a time when four or more are beating on them. Giving them spellcaster levels can help, but then you're not really fighting a dragon anymore, but a wizard/sorcerer/whatever with a bunch of extra HP.

Callie Del Noire

Scariest dragons I ever fought were in Earthdawn. We sat down and figured it out one night that they could literally land on the edge of a medium size town, breath (spending half it's heath in strain) and melt the entire town down to molten magma and be at full health the next action.

Kunoichi

Come to think of it, didn't the D&D Miniatures game give the iconic Great Wyrm Red Dragon two rounds'-worth of actions?  Or am I misremembering things?

And yeah, dragons in Earthdawn and Shadowrun are scary.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 30, 2011, 02:43:20 PM
Come to think of it, didn't the D&D Miniatures game give the iconic Great Wyrm Red Dragon two rounds'-worth of actions?  Or am I misremembering things?

And yeah, dragons in Earthdawn and Shadowrun are scary.

Ah yes.. Shadowrun.. the best scene was 'go in and kill board of directors'. Johnson neglected to mention one TINY detail. The greater western dragon.

Group charges in leaded for human/metahumans... sees the HUGE problem at the end of the table. The troll adept smiles.

"Heyloo.. is this the Spenser Corp board meeting?"

"No.."

"Oh gee.. we'll be going then.. sorry to disturb..."

"STOP."

"yes sir... please don't eat us.."

Thufir Hawat

That's because you haven't tried fighting a RuneQuest Gloranthan dragon :P!
There's a reason the war against them was called the Dragonkill war. To clarify, "kill" is mostly what the dragons did to everybody else >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on July 31, 2011, 01:10:12 AM
That's because you haven't tried fighting a RuneQuest Gloranthan dragon :P!
There's a reason the war against them was called the Dragonkill war. To clarify, "kill" is mostly what the dragons did to everybody else >:)!

The fun part was going from 1st Editon to 2nd edition shadow run where most of the dragons went form armor.. to Hardened Armor. Nothing like having the troll kick in the door, hose down the room and listen the the 'plink plink' of Vindicator Autocannon ammo fall to the floor without scratching said dragon. Then having the Wage Mage, Gang Mage both come in and blow themselves into near comas and have him spell defense their spells into oblivion and then the Shaman sics two Greater Spirits on it.. only to have the last JUST long enough for us to pull a 'Graham Chapman'.

IE.. Run AWAY.

Brandon

Ok this settles it, the guys at Paizo have a mind reading device in my neighborhood focused solely on me. For the last couple of weeks Ive been thinking "Ya know they did the kingdom building thing. I wonder when theyre going do something for PCs starting up a business like an inn, ship trading, or caravans?". Today I got the players guide for their newest AP, jade regeant and it revolves around running a trade caravan
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on August 01, 2011, 11:24:34 PM
Ok this settles it, the guys at Paizo have a mind reading device in my neighborhood focused solely on me. For the last couple of weeks Ive been thinking "Ya know they did the kingdom building thing. I wonder when theyre going do something for PCs starting up a business like an inn, ship trading, or caravans?". Today I got the players guide for their newest AP, jade regeant and it revolves around running a trade caravan

I know.. don't it rock outloud?

Seriously awesome fun.. shame no one wants to play it in real life out here. I've had 3 attempts at a real life gaming thing implode. :(

Brandon

You could always try to set up a group using the Paizo boards. I found two of the many players Ive had over the years on them. Some of them work out, some of them dont but its worth a shot

Callie Del Noire

http://newbiedm.com/2011/02/28/wheres-dd-going/

Interesting ideas. I don't agree with all the blogger says but he has a very valid point. The big 4-0 for DnD is coming and while the MBA sharks at Hasbro might have missed it, I doubt the boys at Wizards have. Something might be in the works.

And in other interesting news.. for those who disliked the WotC Star Wars franchise, the license has now been leased by Fantasy Flight Games (the folks who do Warhammer Fantasy, and the such).

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 04, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
I'll be curious to see what they do with it.

I am sorta kinda too. Both to see what the '40th Anniversary DnD' books might look like and to see what FFG makes of the Star Wars setting, they did a good job with some of their licenses. I've heard a lot of good things on Rogue Trader/Heretic but I have to wonder if they might be spreading themselves thin with a 3rd sci-fi license.

Of course I wish someone would do a 'Pathfinder/Modern d20' system. d20 Modern was a fun system and I find it ironic that the 2nd party folks did more with it than the folks at Wizard. I doubt with the latest rounds of layoffs that a d20 Modern take 2 will be coming form Wizards anytime soon.

HairyHeretic

I quite enjoyed d20 Modern myself, but my group never really got into it.

The 40k games are good, what I read of them. I've not been able to play any really, bar online games that never seem to last. I still want to get Black Crusade and give that a go though. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Pester TGT, he might let you into our Rogue Trader game. ;D