News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

World War Z! From book to movie trailer...

Started by Mathim, November 14, 2012, 03:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Moraline on November 20, 2012, 01:54:26 PM
Oh my...

" ...  plagued by repeated delays, onset disputes, reshoots and need of a new screenwriter to craft a totally new third act-- was finally coming together. Well, don't hold your breath. "

Why do these guys even bother buying up book movie rights if they are going to make a completely different story? I mean, really... just save yourself the money.

Because they figure the extra revenue they'll get from people similar to us who think 'World War Z Movie? Awesome!" will be more than the money they spend optioning the rights.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 20, 2012, 02:32:35 PM
Because they figure the extra revenue they'll get from people similar to us who think 'World War Z Movie? Awesome!" will be more than the money they spend optioning the rights.

Who here thinks that? After seeing the trailer, I mean? That could only be a pre-trailer reaction, seriously.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Shjade

I dunno, I still think it looks like it could be good. Granted I like the first half of the trailer more than the second (particularly that motorcycle cop just getting SMASHED by "suddenly, truck"), which gives me some hope for capturing that worldwide panic feel, but still.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

I think it looks like an exciting movie, to be honest.  I don't think it looks like 'Max Brooks's World War Z', though.  It's very possible to enjoy both. (Going back to my previous example, I still love both the book and the movie 'Beastmaster'.  The sequels to the book were better than the sequels to the movie, though.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

Ye gods, there were Beastmaster sequels? It ... I ... why?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on November 20, 2012, 03:22:33 PM
Who here thinks that? After seeing the trailer, I mean? That could only be a pre-trailer reaction, seriously.

By 'similar to us', I meant 'World War Z fans who didn't see the trailer'.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 20, 2012, 03:47:22 PM
Ye gods, there were Beastmaster sequels? It ... I ... why?

Because there was clearly money to made into direct to video. 

Mathim

Quote from: Oniya on November 20, 2012, 05:16:36 PM
Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time and Beastmaster, the Eye of Braxus.  This is aside from the TV series.

The TV series? Where the guy carried around a giant plastic bone?

And I meant no one could think it was going to be awesome as an actual depiction of the book. As far as a running-zombie movie, it's got potential but I can't possibly take it as seriously as I otherwise would.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Shjade

Given it's a movie about zombies, I wouldn't endorse taking it seriously regardless of the speed of their locomotion.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Lux12

Quote from: Shjade on November 20, 2012, 07:33:55 PM
Given it's a movie about zombies, I wouldn't endorse taking it seriously regardless of the speed of their locomotion.

...And yet this is what so many people seem so hell bent on doing.

Mathim

If that one aspect didn't make all the difference in the world, I would agree. But it does.

Sabby

I haven't read the book... mostly because I'm sick to death of zombies and would prefer skeletons or dinosaurs in my apocalypse.

Gimme World War Skelesaurus and I'll be interested.

My only exposure to the book is my friend, who thinks it's highly overrated. Then again, he says Doctor Who is overrated, and I'm literally the only person whose ever seen eye to eye with him on that topic. But he did explain enough of the premise for me to understand just how off the mark this movie looks.

Ignoring that and looking at it as just a movie... eh... I guess it doesn't look terrible. Too CGI heavy, always looks too smooth to be real. The real problem is I just can't get into it :/ the whole premise is a smack in the face I can't help but flinch at, so I can't suspend my disbelief. I see zombies, walking corpses, fighting what looks like a fully geared up and organized military... I don't care what body count they put up on the screen or explanations like "Oh it happened so fast" that just does not compute o.O You can't show a few seconds of jets and choppers carpet bombing zombies with ease and then clip to OMG WHAT DO WE DO WE'RE DOOMED ALL WE HAVE IS CRUISE MISSILES

Lux12

Quote from: Sabby on November 23, 2012, 09:45:12 AM
I haven't read the book... mostly because I'm sick to death of zombies and would prefer skeletons or dinosaurs in my apocalypse.

Gimme World War Skelesaurus and I'll be interested.

How do you propose a dinopocalypse/skelesaurus apocalypse would even happen?

Sabby

Same way most zombie movies happen. Ignore the apocalypse part. It's hard to write :P Apocalypse stories take place AFTER the apocalypse. That's just how it works.

Lux12

Quote from: Sabby on November 23, 2012, 01:29:50 PM
Same way most zombie movies happen. Ignore the apocalypse part. It's hard to write :P Apocalypse stories take place AFTER the apocalypse. That's just how it works.

I have a feeling you're going to need more than a virus, genetic tampering, or a military weapons program gone wrong to suspend belief there. A warp in reality or sorcery would probably suffice, but I'd have to question why someone would use the grand art to that end,

Sabby

Please xD a virus that makes you're flesh fall off and your bones to animate with minimal muscle tissue and brain stem is about as 'believable' as a virus that reactivates your nervous system after death. Only difference is zombies are 'normal', and we're past the stage of even needing a why or how, they just are. And that's fine, it's just not attracting me to the cinemas any more :P

Lux12

Quote from: Sabby on November 23, 2012, 01:43:50 PM
Please xD a virus that makes you're flesh fall off and your bones to animate with minimal muscle tissue and brain stem is about as 'believable' as a virus that reactivates your nervous system after death. Only difference is zombies are 'normal', and we're past the stage of even needing a why or how, they just are. And that's fine, it's just not attracting me to the cinemas any more :P

Indeed.I've always believed, at least since I began seriously thinking about the whole virus matter, that only a parasite or magic would be plausible, and in the case of zombies, the parasite would only be able to take over the very recently dead and would likely have to do that itself.

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Sabby on November 23, 2012, 09:45:12 AM

I can understand the dissatisfaction because of mainstream hype.  I still think you should read the book, though Sabby, regardless of what your friend says.

Mathim

The whole thing of WWZ really does go into detail with a lot of stuff. The attempt of using the carpet bombing stuff is described as not having the same effect on the undead as it does on humans so it really makes it feel like our conventional shock and awe stuff is useless and the fear and apprehension that comes with it. And then there's the matter of using the stuff that would work on anything alive or dead having the drawback of being used too late and having the live soldiers right in the thick of it. And the book may not have described the cause in detail but its precursor the Zombie Survival Guide did go into great detail and even named the virus. So the book really covers a lot of bases other apocalyptic zombie stories didn't. And I don't know about it being overrated, it's extremely powerful both in human terms and in being a zombie story. I imagine we're going to lose a lot of the stories of what the soldiers are going through because they'll be too busy running from something that never happened in the book.