The Carrion Crown, Chapter 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone

Started by Jeramiahh, April 03, 2011, 02:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

"Oh, yes, of course," Kendra says. "Let me show you to the bedroom, and if either of you would like to wash a little of the road dust off... I know you didn't get much time before the funeral, and I do apologize for that. We weren't entirely sure you were coming, or not."

Once the two of them have changed, and freshened up, as needed, Kendra leads them through the main town square, passing by the unusual construct, along the way. They cross the river, to the temple of Pharasma, the Lady of Graves, the only temple in the community. The temple is the most elaborate building in the city, its eastern facade displaying an intricate stained-glass mural depicting a stern Pharasma judging Count Andachi, one of Tamrivena’s most infamous previous rulers.

The ceremony is led by a grumpy-looking, although rather polite and gentle-sounding old man, who is introduced as Father Grimburrow. The coffin of the old Professor lies at the heart of the temple, and, as Kendra said, it is a closed-casket. The ceremony itself is solemn and peaceful, with a fairly small turnout, despite the Professor's popularity, at least in other parts of Ustalav; only about a half-dozen people are present at all, including Kendra, Celeste, and Lilial.

(If you wish to give a small eulogy, he'll invite people to do so as well.)

Once the church ceremony is over, the Father asks if everyone would like to participate as pallbearers; as part of tradition, he will be traveling ahead, to await them at the gravesite.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Lilial blinked for a moment at Celeste's comment, then bowed her head slightly to her, murmuring softly. "Thank you for sharing, Ms. Devonshire."

"Thank you, Ms. Lorrimor, that would be greatly appreciated.  If you'll give me a moment to get more appropriate garb?" Lilial asked, smiling at the younger woman and bowing from the room as she went back to retrieve the dress that she thought appropriate for a funeral.  Returning, she excused herself for a moment to change, taking only a few minutes to do so.

When she returned to the room, Lilial looked quite different.  She was dressed in a sleeveless white toga of fine silk, with just a hint of golden embroidery around the hem.  A number of golden cords cinched it tight about her waist, and she stepped carefully, having changed into a set of thigh-high sandals.  She smiled and spoke once more before they left. "Thank you for the use of your room, Ms. Lorrimor."

Lilial sat politely through the ceremony, eyes closed for much of it, at least until the priest offered the opportunity to give a eulogy.  Lilial opened her eyes and stood, moving to the front and bowing her head for a long moment before speaking, grief in her voice as she looked up with tear-filled golden eyes. "Petros Lorrimor saved my life.  For me, everything keeps coming back to that.  He saw the good that any could aspire to, and he encouraged and taught others.  He taught those he came in contact with to never give up.  He taught us that we should live our lives to their fullest.  And he lived by his beliefs.  He saved a lapsed paladin who had lost her faith from a demon, and restored her faith in others, if not in herself.  He was an adamant foe of those who would raise the dead or use arcane arts for evil, always working instead to stop such even as he delved into old ruins in search of knowledge.  Hero, scholar, and teacher, Petros Lorrimor was more than I am, and I can only strive to follow in his footsteps.  I will never forget him, nor his example."

With that short statement, Lilial sat down, dabbing at the tears that started to escape her.  She took a deep breath to calm herself, and simply nodded at the offer of being a pallbearer.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Taking the comment as an invitation, Celeste took the pack that she had been carrying into one of the rooms of the house and gently closed the door, taking the opportunity to remove her armor and clean up somewhat.  A damp cloth and a few moments alone were sufficient to remove at the least the grossest of grime that tended to gather on the road.

When she stepped out of the borrowed chambers a few minutes later, she wore the formal vestments of a cleric of Calistria.  Whereas most would likely wear yellow with a smattering of black, her skin tone did not lend itself well to such colors.  Instead, her robes were predominately black with yellow edging, seams and lacing, giving her a somewhat more severe appearance than the usual colors.  On the other hand, the cut and style of the robes were at least the par of the more usual styles, favoring generally lighter weight fabrics and a deeply cut neck, with a loose, almost golden yellow sash about her waist, giving the general feel of waspishness.  The outfit was completed with a pair of soft skinned riding boots and the holy symbol of her faith hanging so as to draw the eye to the proud display of her chest.  She holds her whip in hand, pondering a moment as to whether to bring it or not before finally setting it with the rest of her items in the room and closing the door.

Attending with the other two women to the small ceremony, she listens to the ceremony with quiet respect.  The temple may not be of her faith, nor was the professor, but this was where he chose to be, and these were the people that were to mourn his passing.

She allows all of the others to speak their peace in her absolute silence, nodding once or twice at particular comments, but remaining still otherwise.  As it becomes apparent, though, that no others were to speak, she finally moves to speak, quietly stepping to the front of the group and standing in silence for several moments as to prepare herself, gazing on the casket that would carry and protect the mortal flesh of the professor's body.

"I...cannot say anything so impressive as others have.  The professor and I...did not meet in those ways."  She took a deep breath to still herself before continuing on.

"He was...in some ways the father I needed.  He...taught me to live.  He told me what I needed to hear."  She pauses a moment more, as if collecting herself for another foray before continuing.  "He was a teacher par excellence.  Not simply of academic matters, but of the heart and of life.  Those who knew him are both made more for having known him, and lessened by his loss."  She bows her head and closes her eyes a moment before opening them once more and stepping back to where she had been before.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra is, clearly, moved to tears by the eulogies, providing only a short, relatively humorous one, herself, about her memories of the Professor, as a father.

Eventually, four of the seven people at the funeral, all but an elderly woman, Kendra, and another woman, are involved in carrying his casket, down the long, winding road to the Restlands, the name for the local graveyard. Celeste and Lilial are given the front two positions, with Kendra leading the small procession.

As the group reaches the halfway point through the graveyard, where two of the paths running through it intersect, they find their path is blocked by a dozen surly-looking men; the women will recognize several of them as ones who had been threatening the construct, just outside of town, less than an hour ago.

“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra is swif to respond, her sadness swifly transforming into anger. “What are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...”

“You don’t get it, woman. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

(You're welcome to have interrupted, at any time, prior to this, in the conversation.)
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

BK Geno

Interface Unit 256
Entry, log 001e:

Unit noted the wandering of explorer drone 01, following assisting organics. Extended observation has provided new data, assisting organics also noted as 'gender: female,' due to similarities between them and the organics around unit. Observer drone has been behaving in slightly erratic manner, submitting request for backup data to be checked for corruption or unnecessary data evolution. Report from observer drone indicates assisting females from others soon to be threatened by mob organics, all noted as 'gender: male,' several from previous encounter with earlier mob organics. Alert: Hostilities against allied organics has been initiated, activating combat and mid level communication functions. *reorganization of higher level information streaming in progess, unit moving at speed toward grave site, estimated time to completion of reorg, approximately one minute, estimated time of arrival at allies location, one minute.*

Entry, log 001e-d:
Drone shadowing local assisting organics, possible allies for further plans. Hostiles noted ahead, blocking path, approximately one hundred fifty feet ahead. Alerted main unit, drone continuing to observe situation and update main unit.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"Necromancer?  You would call Petros a necromancer?" Lilial asked, her voice incredulous, and she shook her head as she laughed, as if she couldn't imagine something so foolish.  But she looked all of them sadly as she asked softly, her voice sad and without rancor. "How can you believe such things?  Petros Lorrimor was a respected scholar, and a staunch opponent of necromancy.  I watched him kill a demon to save others.  Yet would you really deny him his last rites, and risk him rising as an unquiet spirit?  Would you truly deny an honorable man his final reward, based on rumor and speculation?  How would you feel if someone said the same of one of your own family?  If someone had told you to bury your father or grandfather outside of the safely sanctified grounds of the graveyard?  Please, just step aside.  Do not defile one of the oldest, and most precious rites that one can offer those who have passed on."

((K:Religion 24, Diplomacy 25))

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The pale elf pauses as the procession stops, the group, apparently at least somewhat related to the group that they encountered at the edge of town on the way in, was intent on blocking their way.  She listened quietly to the comments back and forth, tilting her head to one side and raising a delicate brow at the necromancer comment.

She ponders a moment before looking to their leader and asking in her soft voice, "why do you suspect him a necromancer?  Was he e'er anything but kind?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"If 'e ain't a necromancer, why was 'e always out spendin' time with the ghosts at the ol' prison?" "There been all kinds a' creepy things goin' on up there, at the prison, e'er since 'e started pokin' around there." "Yeah, an' look at all those books 'e has. It just ain't right." "'Ey, that strange metal man's comin'. Boss didn't say nothin' 'bout no strange metal man. I ain't interested in gettin' my 'ead busted in by that thing." "Me either," "Yeah, same 'ere." "Aright, fine. Bury the old man. C'mon, guys." The dozen or so men depart, specifically avoiding the path that the construct is rapidly approaching from, shooting the group venomous glances, but otherwise dispersing without a conflict.

Unless they wish to talk further, it's another few hundred feet to the gravesite, where Father Grimburrow and two gravediggers are waiting, apparently oblivious to the confrontation, just a little ways back.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"If there were ghosts there, perhaps he was trying to lay them to rest." Lilial commented quietly, and then glanced back toward the construct with a sigh, shaking her head before speaking to Kendra again, kindly. "Please, Kendra...put their words out of your mind.  They don't know of what they speak.  Not truly.  Shall we continue on to give your father a proper remembrance?"

BK Geno

Interface Unit 256 (temp designation)
Log entry 001f:

*Compilation completion: imminent. Time to target destination: imminent.*

*Recompilation... complete, restarting main logic algorithms, rebooting verbal interface computer*

*arrival at destination, full reboot of system required to properly integrate changes, reboot delayed until safe location reached*

Unit arrives at the back of the train, staying behind it, and simply watched the mob leave, this time downloading their faces into its databanks. That done, it moved around the group, moving to cut off the mob group's retreat to town, not otherwise interacting with the females that had helped earlier. The drone had reported that the mob had mentioned a 'boss' type right before it had arrived. It would find out why this 'boss' wanted their procession interrupted.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste doesn't react to the words of the men, keeping an intent watch on them as they turn and leave.  She mutters under her breath softly, "ignorant, superstitious...peasants."  Then shakes her head slightly and nodding in agreement to Lilial's comment.  She had heard in the courts about how...backwards some of the people could be in the backwoods could be.  The angry mobs and torches and pitchforks.  She had never expected to see such associated with the professor, by any stretch.  It went beyond her imagining.

With another look to Lilial and Kendra, she lift the professor a touch higher, making a physical act of her esteem of the man, before continuing on.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"I... yes, thank you," Kendra says, with a sad smile, before leading the procession, again, hiding the tears behind a strong will, as they head to the gravesite.

The group of thugs scowl at the construct, as it tries to cut them off, but most of them just move off the path, scattering amongst the gravestones; no longer a cohesive mob, they split up and go their separate way to get around him.

Father Grimburrow apparently didn't notice the brief conflict, and continues with the ceremony, as if nothing happened. Fifteen minutes later, following a series of prayers and ritual, the Professor is lowered into the ground, and the gravediggers begin the slow task of filling in the fresh grave. Once finished, Kendra invites the two women back to her house, for a few drinks, and to hear the reading of Petros' last will and testament. "It's rather peculiar... the will has a note, indicating that it should not be read until both of you are present, as well," she says, obviously curious.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Nodding, Lilial smiled compassionately at Kendra, nodding slighty as she hefted the coffin slightly higher as well, taking a breath to steady herself.  She kept up the somber pace, and carefully paid her respects as the funeral progressed, ignoring the tears that slowly streaked down her cheeks.  As the final words were spoken and the gravediggers began to bury the body at last, she murmured a soft prayer to herself. "I know you have little use for me, Lady of Graves, but I beg thee, please do not judge him too harshly.  He was a good man."

But when Kendra spoke to her again, Lilial blinked, brushing the tears aside with a faint hint of embarrassment and confusion. "I...would enjoy having a drink, Ms. Lorrimor.  But I'm uncertain why he would mention me in his will...I was hardly the only one he helped, and...well, I suppose we'll learn.  I do hope the inn will still be open to travelers by the time we are done?  Or should I get a room first?"

BK Geno

Log entry 001f:

Locals split up, and the unit reviews its records, before going for the one that had appeared to be the apparent 'leader' and talker of the group both times, the explorer drones observations helping guess who to follow. It pursued its chosen target, intent on gathering further information about the reason for the attacks against the two females that had assisted it. It noted that it seemed to have already received benefits from the unpacking of the more advanced algorithms, and would have to take time to finish the rest as soon as it could reasonably could without undue danger to its chassis.

ShamshielDF

Celesete Devonshire

The pale elf blinks slightly at the offer and the comment.  She could think of nothing in particular that would have caused her to stand out to the professor any more than any others, save, perhaps, her lineage.  But he did not seem the type of man that would have put such stock into family lines.  He must have had something in particular in mind, though what was surely beyond her at the moment.

She gives a slight nod to Kendra, "I would be honored." 
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra smiles, pleasantly enough, trying to hide her sorrow. "If they aren't, you're welcome to stay at my home, for the night, dear." She leads the way back to her house, through the town.

The construct will learn that the man who seems to be the 'boss' of the offending crowds is an old warrior, named Gibs. A DC 20 Perception check from the drone will allow it to learn that Gibs currently lives in a shack, to the south of the city, near the old ruins of Harrowstone.

On the way back to the house, Kendra requests the presence of Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, to read the will for them. He notes he has a few matters to attend to, but he'll be over shortly, and, sure enough, arrives after they've had a chance to freshen up, pour some drinks, and get a chance to know one another, for a few minutes. A Sense Motive check of DC... 4 allows the women to determine that Vashian doesn’t completely approve of strangers being involved in local matters, but he keeps his comments to himself, focusing his involvement entirely on the reading of Petros’s will.

Kendra is as unaware of the details of the will as everyone else, since the stipulation indicated that both Celeste and Lilial must be present, and to wait up to a week following the burial, for their arrival. The Councilman produces the sealed scroll case, allowing them to verify the unbroken seal, before cracking it open and revealing the case. As he does, a small iron key slips out, clattering noisily on the table. Undeterred by the key, however, the Councilman begins reading the will aloud, clearly eager to be done and to leave.

I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use  them or
sell them as you see fit, my child.
Yet  beyond  the  bequeathing  of my personal effects, this
document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
have two final favors to ask.
To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.
And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
a  significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver
the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.
Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most  trusted  friends  in
Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
after the date of the reading of this will.
I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this
first day of Calistril, in the year 4732 AR.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Lilial blinked at the sound of the will, frowning as the reading continued.  The will was...interesting, at least, but it wasn't she had expected by any measure.  But after a minute she spoke again at last, speaking softly. "I will do as he asks, of course...but first I have a question, one that is...rather private."

Glancing over at the councilman, Lilial waited until he left before she asked, very quietly and somberly. "May I ask just...how much Petros told you of me, Ms. Lorrimor?"

ShamshielDF

Celesete Devonshire

Celeste sat quietly through the whole reading, nodding slightly as the councilman made his way to whatever matters of import were that had him in such a hurry.  Likely as not something about an urgent appointment at a nearby tavern regarding an excess of ale that had to be dealt with.  He obviously did not care for her, so she felt no obligation to see any more noble motivations in the man than she would expect of any of the uneducated rabble about town.  One mob in a day was bad enough, but to have two of them, consisting predominately of the same persons, and both motivated by fear and lack of understanding, in a town overseen in part by a man with obviously similar leanings?  She could only hope that Kendra came to some manner of sense soon and moved somewhere more...cosmopolitan.  Where her fathers teachings and learning weren't so apt to get her exiled, mobbed or worse, at the very least.

The thought of being her a month though was...worrisome.  She had not made arrangements to be gone that long.  Mother would be worried sick and the temple would wonder what had become of her 'brief trip away for the funeral of a friend'.  To say nothing of her own concerns.  A month away from the temple would keep things...interesting.  Not in the, "new and exotic traveler come to temple" sort of interesting, but more in the temple physician looking at an injury and saying, "isn't that interesting?"  Keep the books away from ne'er-do-wells, return them to the university.  Simple enough task.  But one they couldn't complete for a month.  And, all the while, keeping the professor's daughter in tact and comfortable.  She did owe the professor a favor.  Not an insignificant one, at that.  More as a matter of personal view than necessarily of anything that he had expressly stated.

Her gaze quietly moved to the elf, watching her silently for a moment.  She was an unknown, much as Kendra was.  Obviously, she felt something rather intense regarding the professor, but she seemed to hedge about something or somethings, but what she couldn't be sure about.  She seemed very on edge about something, but she couldn't fathom yet what it could be about.  An amused thought struck her on a whim, opening herself to the power of her blood for a moment, to sense for the presence of undead.  It was possible, however so unlikely, that such was what the elf was hiding, though it didn't appear so.

She glanced back between Kendra and Lilial a moment, then sighed softly.  "I will do as the professor asks.  Though I must send letters to Caliphas."  She glanced to the elf woman again, maintaining her blasé appearance and contemplating her in silence for the moment.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra looks as surprised at the request the two of them stay for a month, as they do. "You both are welcome to stay here, of course. It's a large house, and there's more than enough room for you."

She considers Lillial's question for a moment, answering honestly. "He never really told me all the details about his work, as much to protect me as anything else," she says. "But, he did say that you had been attacked by a demon of some sort, he was never terribly specific, and that he helped you recover from the scars, physical, spiritual, and metaphysical," she says, the last words obviously a turn of the phrase of the professor's, as she smiles, a little sorrowfully at the memory.

She provides Celeste with information on where blank parchment and ink can be found, as well as where one of the few tables in the house not occupied by books is, so she can write without having to move too many things.

BK Geno

Entry 001G:

Drone overhears the name of the leader, organic male named 'Gibs,' and as it loses current quarry in a crowd, it overhears a handful of conversations from other organics, one of which being used by a female to scold a smaller organic, likely child, and threaten to give the child to someone beyond the edge of town named Gibs. Unit noted the fearful look toward the south, and relayed the information to main unit, which diverted its course toward the south, as the drone continued to gather more information about this 'Gibs.'

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

The elf took a breath and then shook her head slightly, smiling sadly at Kendra as well. "As I said, I am...willing to do as Petros asked.  However, I'm not certain that it would be fair to you for me to stay here.  Not without further explanations, at least.  I...will tell you part now, so we can get some preliminaries out of the way.  I'm Lilial Ambersight, a former paladin of Shelyn, and I've lost my faith.  Such came about because of a demon, yes, and I ended up running.  But...the succubus, for such it was, found me.  He saved me from a fate worse than death by far when he rescued me, but only after I had been in it's clutches for a week."

Lilial took another breath, her voice shaking by the time she'd reached this point, and then continued. "I'm...still scarred by the experience.  And, no matter how I try to control it, I literally cannot deal with time without...physical intimacy anymore.  It isn't a simple addiction that can be cured.  I cannot say that I imagine it would be comfortable to have me in your home...and I'm unsure if I can even find appropriate companionship in Ravengro."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste stands after a moment, lacing her fingers and extending her arms over her head as she arches and stretches for a long moment, considering.  After the stretch, she turns to look to Lilial and shrugs a tiny degree.  "Be thankful you crave nothing more."  She smiles, this time showing her teeth for a rarity, exposing a pair of rather sharp looking canines.  "My father was...is, a vampire, since before my conception.  Due to his blood running through my veins, I have lived with a craving for the blood of other sentients since birth."  Her look is rather pointed at the elf before turning and walking in the direction Kendra had indicated.

She stops in the doorway, not looking back as she steps into the unlit corridor beyond.  "At least what you crave gives people joy.  Be thankful."  With that she wanders off to draft a letter to the high cleric of the temple as well as one addressed for her father, though intended for her mother.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Further information on Gibs, including the location of his shack, will require a Diplomacy (Gather Information) check; otherwise, he'll end up wandering without enough information to identify the man, as he wasn't, in fact, amongst the people threatening him or the women carrying the body. The target DC will be 17.

Kendra looks quite shocked, and more than a little horrified, at the two women admitting their supernatural urges, though there's also a clear moment of comprehension dawning on her, as she clearly starts to understand why her father was so interested in them. She swallows a bit nervously, but then says, "Well... even if you are both... unusual," she says, diplomatically, "However, if my father saw it fit to trust you, with both my care and the delivery of his books, especially if, as I suspect, he knew the truth, as well, then I have no reason not to trust you, both of you." She still looks visibly nervous, more from the shock of their revelations, on top of the situation in the town, coupled with her father's death, than actual nervousness about their presence.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Lilial sighed, wincing slightly at Celeste's commentary, shaking her head slightly as she murmured. "Ah, but if that was all, I wouldn't hate myself so very much..."

"But in any case, I feel I should explain further, now that we are in private." Lilialr continued, looking at Kendra sadly. Taking a deep breath she spoke softly. "You see..."

And by the time Celeste came back she was just sitting there, looking very tired and worn as she waited.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

It wasn't too long before Celeste returned to the room where Lilial and Kendra were talking, one fairly bulky, sealed letter in hand.  The letter to her father was sealed within the letter to the temple as they would be going to the same place.   She looks to the pair of them and gives a sort of half smile, her teeth well covered once more.  "You do not have to worry in my regards.  I keep my...urges to only willing attendants at the temple."  She sets the letters on the desk and sits carefully on one of the chairs once more, pondering.

She looked to Kendra and quirked a brow slightly.  "It was said your father was speaking with the unquiet spirits nearby...are you aware of why he might do so?"
Ons and offs!
A&A