News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didoanna

*grins* 30,200. - s'bout average I guess but I do like doing crossword puzzles.

This isn't bad either about words - from the great Blackadder.....

....Black Adder the Third - Ink and Incapability.......

Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one] Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.

Blackadder: Every single one, sir?

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!

Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafribularities.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?

Blackadder: "Contrafribularites", sir? It is a common word down our way.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!
[writes in the book]

Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

RainyHigh

17,400 words... *pouts* I think me needs to study the English dictionary more.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

ausyandy

^ ^ Lol I watched that episode of Blackadder this morning! XD

My result is 20,000... :-\ This is a surprise to me indeed.

grdell

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

I'm proud of meself... ;)
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

ViciousDelicious

Pfew! 19,500, and I'm a non-native speaker. Still got it somewhat, thankfully :D

milk tea

I recognized many of them, and have even used them before, but couldn't think up an exact definition :(

stormwyrm

37,100. The second page had a whole column of words I'd never heard of before.

Individuals who perforce are constrained to be domiciled in vitreous structures of patent frangibility should on no account employ petrous formations as projectiles. XD
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Ephiral

Quote from: stormwyrm on July 11, 2013, 01:09:11 AM
37,100. The second page had a whole column of words I'd never heard of before.

Individuals who perforce are constrained to be domiciled in vitreous structures of patent frangibility should on no account employ petrous formations as projectiles. XD
Our tribe's common domicile is a mid-spectrum double-hulled submersible vessel of war?

Oniya

Quote from: Ephiral on July 11, 2013, 11:59:34 AM
Our tribe's common domicile is a mid-spectrum double-hulled submersible vessel of war?

And the varied assortment of musicians commences to perform...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nefeli

24,700 words...  Even though I'm bilingual  my first language is Greek.
That 2nd page last column kicked by butt :P

SakamotoHD

29,480 Words.

I'm actually disparaged by that number, I thought I was more well-red then that.. Ah well.

Hera

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 33,700 words

Awesome link!  Thanks for posting it :)

Shelyn

25,300... and English is my second language  :D

Cyrano Johnson

43,000 words. Interesting. Thanks for sharing that link.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

xen

words

I feel accomplished.

Kye

35,900.  For the record the fourth column in the second section made me feel highly unintelligent as well. I only knew a handful of those words.

Saytia

21,800 words. Maybe I'll do better next time. (:

Black Howling

Not what I hoped for, but on the last section it was more then I thought I'd get. And to those that mentioned it, white wolf books did help!

AlexStone

38,500 words.  Most of which, I am sure, are probably technical terms that have pretty much no use outside their application. 

And, I'm sure many of my partners can attest that, in fact, I know very few useful words, but many ways to use "To Fuck."

Fogsight

It is not the amount of words that matters, it is how you use them  :P

QuoteBlackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.
P.S. Rowan Atkinson should've continued with Black Adder instead of returning to that played out Mr.Bin, last movie was just creepy. Love Black Adder!

HannibalBarca

38,400.  I'm slipping.  Must read dictionary more. 

XD
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

AidenWhite

I.... actually knew a lot of those words in the fourth column. I never went to college, but I always read textbooks that my friends had, and I read a lot. I'm friends with a college professor that I knew since I was three and I met up with him recently when I move to the States. He has fun challenging my vocab (and beating me, of course).

Despite me being Russian, here's what I got...

My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

windstar

30,500 - which looks to be about average.

That last column are the kinds of things that would pretty much never come up in regular conversation, though. I'd say they were archaic, but I'm sure someone would prove me wrong.

The Dark Raven

words

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Black Howling on July 22, 2013, 12:34:04 AM

Not what I hoped for, but on the last section it was more then I thought I'd get. And to those that mentioned it, white wolf books did help!
Uh...  I hate to say this, but White Wolf books actually LOWER the words you know, because they've changed the meaning of several they use.  Usually in the terms of names.

I actually had to look up words and found out how wrong they were in the context the were used.  Which is why my personal score isn't as high as I wanted, I personally discounted and removed any words I recognized from my WW days.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming