ST: Flight of the Vanguard (Dir, Sys, Small-Group, TOS-Era) Episode CLOSED

Started by Cyrano Johnson, September 10, 2013, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joslyn

Hi, everyone.  :-) Just wanted to introduce myself and say I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters as they are approved. I've never been in a game that constructed scenes the way this one is going to, I'm curious to try it--should lead to a bit more natural dialog. In the normal format there is the temptation to cover as much ground as possible per post and avoid short back-and-forth dialog even when it might be more appropriate.

Cyrano Johnson

And many thanks for joining, Joslyn! That's one of the things I'm hoping for from the format too! *fingers crossed *
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Imogen

-waves sleepily-

I don't mind which role to play. They all sound good so I'll let Ark choose and take the other one :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cyrano Johnson

I took Ark's last reply to mean he was backing away for the moment... be delighted if he reverses that decision, but I don't think you need to wait on him to choose a role.

Imogen

Ah, you're right. In that case, I'll go for the chief engineer, pretty please :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cyrano Johnson

I'm cool with that, thanks Imogen. Just shoot me a sheet by PM when you have the chance...

[EDIT: We're other one female character away from having a mostly-female bridge crew, or two more male characters away from having a perfectly-balanced one. Either would be awesome!]

kylie

I may be interested, but honestly a little confused.  Is this the same thing minioch was starting to advertise for in the other thread, or another one? 

Also if it's much the same, I'd be interested in answers to some of the questions that arose there before going through an elaborate system process to create a character. Unless it's some no-limits, "very good reason everything will be kept a mystery and tossed out there later."

Thanks!

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on September 07, 2013, 05:02:03 PM
Besides an all female bridge crew and short skirts, what else is this game about?  Is it going to be NC/Exotic?  Yuri? 

Can we get more details?

PoppyHoneymeade

Well I'm sure the GM will be able to answer things better but I'll see if I can answer a little for the moment...

It's the same system but not the same concept as to how to use the system. The crew isn't all female, though there does seem to be more women than men at the moment you can totally play either gender if you want. The spaces still left are Captain/Helmsman (though Saria had a great Captain idea she hasn't responded since she was told she couldn't be Andorian as we already have 2 alien characters).

There's a link to the world building thread in the first post, from there you can find a link to the game system and to an overview of what this game is intended to be like flavour wise and if you scroll down you can see the characters created so far.

I think the NC and Exotic parts would be up to the players to decide to an extent but I doubt it'll be a major focus.

Hope this helped.

Cyrano Johnson

Hey Kylie:

Poppy has it quite right. Apart from using the same system, the two games have nothing to do with each other. I still don't really know what minioch was ultimately going for either, but having an all-female crew wasn't my focus (that we're getting so many women is merely a happy coincidence), and this RP is action-oriented -- I intend only Light Exotic in-game erotic content at most, although NC and Extreme can still be alluded to "off-screen" -- focused primarily on reproducing an atmosphere like the original show with adventures centered on a different crew. It's also using a meta-system for forum play that I'm testing out.

If you want more detail, I go over all of this at length in the game overview in the world-building thread that Poppy mentions, that's probably the fastest way to answer your questions.

Cyrano Johnson

...and good morning, Elliquiy-land! As Poppy mentioned, we still have two roles available in our crew of Series Regulars, the Helmsman and the Captain. Male or female applicants welcome!

kylie

Thanks for the answers.  Kind of wanting more psychodrama or some flavoring of nc/ex myself.  Not sure I want to write plain action. 

The series was fun to watch, but not so sure I want to hop into mechanics much without the other elements featuring a bit more.  And it's been a long time since I watched the series, so that much harder to do just that.

Cyrano Johnson

Fair enough. If action ain't your bag then this wouldn't be your thing. (I don't mind NC myself, but I want to keep it Light mainly in order to maintain appeal to the widest possible range of potential players while the "series" is running.)

Joslyn

Minor thing, I was looking at the characters so far and I think LT Cortez is missing his extra talent for being human.

Also, was wondering if I could use two minor elements from the Andorians on Enterprise (I was mostly okay with that show but I understand our GM is not a fan, heh). One is the movable antennae--I imagine that is something they might have done in the original series had digital effects existed at the time. The other is that some Andorians (though probably not Marah) use "pink-skins" as an impolite term for humans. I really like that because--given the unusually wide variations in skin pigmentation among humans compared to other TOS races--it doesn't make a lick of sense. Bigotry is usually stupid like that.  :P

Cyrano Johnson

I'll double-check Miguel's sheet, thanks for catching that.

I shall waive the vaporization penalty for mentioning the-show-that-must-not-be-named, since they did treat Andorians at greater length than ever before and had some genuinely intriguing ideas.

The "pink-skins" slang is something that could have derived independently, it is genuinely fun and is an obvious thing for blue-skinned people to pick up on about not-blue-skinned people, so I'll say that one is in.

The idea to have the antennae move and be incorporated in gestural vocabulary is interesting in a way, and who knows, might have been something TOS might have tried with the right technology. However, it's at variance with the "fake antennae" trick demonstrated in "Journey to Babel," which is based on being able to disguise a transceiver as one because they were not expected to twitch around. Also, in general I've always had the sense that Andorian antennae were meant to be a kind of exotic combination between horns and sense organs, not an analogue to insectoid feelers (hence their being mounted on the back of the head). So on that one I unfortunately have to rule it is out

Make sense?

Ebb

Quote from: Joslyn on September 11, 2013, 10:03:43 AM
Minor thing, I was looking at the characters so far and I think LT Cortez is missing his extra talent for being human.

You're right, I was adding things in and out and lost track of the total.

GM: Please add the talent "Heroic" to LT Cortez' sheet.

Joslyn

Thanks for the rulings, and also not vaporizing me.  ;D I definitely agree there were some just baffling decisions on that show. >.< Though my only major problem was that many of the characters and plots just felt so meh, like it was the supermarket generic version of star trek.

Cyrano Johnson

I've made the necessary adjustments.

I'm going to add a section to the main world-building post with continuity-related Q&A's like the one about the Andorians above.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Joslyn on September 11, 2013, 10:43:09 AMI definitely agree there were some just baffling decisions on that show.

Honestly, I wanted to like it so much. Scott Bakula + old-timey Trekverse could have been such a winning formula, but they just fumbled it so badly in every way.

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Cyrano Johnson

Ember Star

I do have a captain character who is half Vulcan. But taking her out of my settings and putting her into a new group would feel a little awkward, I think. Plus you already have your two aliens.

So, Helmsman for me please!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Cyrano Johnson

Ember Star

eerk. I didn't click the links and see the PDFs before I began interest. Are they needed? Because I'm not sure I can get them on my phone (and my phone is ALL I have). I can try, though.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Ember Star on September 11, 2013, 09:49:56 PM
eerk. I didn't click the links and see the PDFs before I began interest. Are they needed? Because I'm not sure I can get them on my phone (and my phone is ALL I have). I can try, though.

I really do recommend reading the PDFs, they are very important to understanding the game. I can pull out the text and try to send it to you (or put it up somewheres to download) separate if you absolutely cannot read them.

Ember Star

I have a book reader on my phone so I downloaded the smaller one to try out. I'll krt you know.