Rookshaven Academy - Recruiting All Characters

Started by Anouk Daae, November 20, 2017, 07:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anouk Daae

Rookshaven is an academy in the Scottish countryside. Originally founded by the eight royal families, each skilled in one type of magic, the school was built in an attempt to create a safe place for their children to grow and learn away from non-magic users. In the early days, there had been two separate academies - St Margaret's for girls and St Andrew's for boys to maintain the pretense of piety and wholesome Christianity - eachbuild on opposite sides of a low valley. However, in the late 1850's,  rebellion broke out between the Mages of non-royal bloodlines and those in the eight ruling families. Among the ensuing fight, St Andrew's was burnt to the ground. The school grounds were abandoned while mages retreated into smaller communities to teach their young privately.

It wasn't until 1938 when Walter Elliot, with the help of David Freeman-Mitford, purchased the land both schools sat in ruin on. Construction began to expand the Saint Margaret structure while what was left of Saint Andrew's was infused with magic to be used as a safe conduit. As the castor community slowly began reconstructing itself, it was soon made public that during the rebellion, a number of the found families had either died out or lost their ability to use magic altogether. By the time the academy reopened under its new name with a coed syllabus, there were only 4 surviving royal families. The community dismayed, believing this meant an end to certain types of magic as well.

Fast forward to Modern Day. Since the 1980's, two new magic types have been discovered from other countries and brought into the fold. While once upon a time, the ruling families were true royals - leading their community with iron fists and starting wars based on mage classes; the world today has gotten smaller with the rise of the internet and the loss of half the ruling families. In order to prevent another uprising, the Grand Council was formed of the remaining four royal families at the request of their noble supporters.

From within each royal family, one member was voted to be representative of their line within the Council. The Council of four then voted on laws to keep their communities safe and secure. Often times, to the dismay of the other mage classes, the Council rules in favor of their own. Over decades of this, there is a bias prevalent within the laws that protect the mage community toward Air, Fire, Spirit, and Dark castors. Once a representative is voted into the Council, a new Head of House is appointed. The title of Prince and Princess is afforded to the oldest living female and male family member who is not seated at the Council, and the Prince is considered the Head of House, as the patriarch for the family. Beyond that, the mage community has been around for centuries. The bloodlines, even royal ones, are broad. Within each noble line, which exist in other classes despite not having a royal line or seat at the Council, the members are titled as lords and ladies when they reach 18 as a show of respect for their lineage and family history.

Many non-royal families maintain sway in the Council through financially supporting one family over another. The noble families are often off-shoots of the initial royal families who stemmed from second-born or female children generations before the first uprising, or rose to power by way of wealth and were later gifted with lands. Even in the non-magic world, the noble and royal lines have authority over the regions from which they come, meddling in political and business affairs of the humans littering the world to benefits themselves.

While many titles exist in name alone, the four royal families are still approached with reverence, respect, and fear knowing the laws almost always rule in their favor. Outside or more unforgivable crimes, they're essentially untouchable with only breeds more contempt toward them in the growing mage circles outside of Europe.

Magic Types:
   - Water Binding
Royal Family - Laurent deceased
Water Binding

- Hydrokinesis - manipulate and control liquid water and mold it into any desired shape or form
     - Aquatic Adaptation/Respiration - adapted to underwater living
     - Hydroportation - teleport across short or long distances through liquid water
     - Water Mimicry - turn into liquid water
     - Water Generation - generate water
     - Holy Water Manipulation - create, manipulate and control graceful waters (found in pure Water lineages only)
     - Dark Water Manipulation - create, manipulate and control evil and dangerous waters (found in Mages of lineages mixed with necromancy)
  - Fire Binding
Royal Family - Vlastimir

Fire Binding

- Pyrokinesis - create, control and manipulate also generate fire, flame and heat.
     - Fire Breath - breathe out flames.
     - Fire Mimicry - have a body made up of fire
     - Melting - heat molecules to melt things.
     - Pyrotechnics - create fireworks.
     - Self-Detonation - explode self and reform.
     - Thermokinesis - create, control and manipulate heat.
     - Pyroportation - teleport or move though fire.
  - Earth Binding
Royal Family - Moreau deceased

Earth Binding

- Geokinesis - control, manipulate, create, generate and reshape or shape earth/rocks/stones
     - Earth Mimicry - have a body made up of earth or earthen substance
     - Ferrokinesis - manipulate metal at will.
     - Golem Creation - make golems out of inanimate materials like rocks, wood, plants, magma, etc (only found in Mages whose lineage crosses with Dark Binding)
     - Halokinesis - control and manipulate salt.
     - Hyalokinesis - control and manipulate glass.
     - Psammokinesis - can control and manipulate sand.
     - Terrakinesis - control, manipulate and alter/reshape the surrounding terrain and landscape at will.
     - Terraportation - teleport via the earth and earth-based materials.
  - Air Binding
Royal Family - Harrington

Air Binding

- Aerokinesis - manipulate the air, wind, and gas.
     - Aeroportation - teleport using air/wind currents.
     - Air Mimicry - transform into a cloud of gas, fog, or mist.
     - Deoxygenation - suck up all the oxygen from a place.
     - Lung Adaptation - breathe anywhere.
     - Wind Generation - create blasts of wind.
     - Flight - have the ability to fly at will.
     - Levitation - the ability to make anything rise up in the air and move around under your control.
  - Light Binding
Royal Family - Beaumont deceased

Light Binding

- Photokinesis - create and manipulate pure light and photons.
     - Force-Field Generation - create protective shields of solid photons.
     - Invisibility - be unseen.
     - Laser Emission - bend light wavelengths to create lasers.
     - Light Absorption - absorb the light around you.
     - Light Generation - emit blinding light or glow in the dark.
     - Light Mimicry - take on the traits of light.
     - Photoportation - teleport by using light.
     - Projective Invisibility - turn other things invisible.
     - Evil Banish - banish all spirits of evil and black magic, resistant to possession, hyper-aware of spiritual presences
  - Dark Binding
Royal Family - Notte

Dark/Shadow Binding

- Umbrakinesis - can manipulate and control darkness or shadows.
     - Animated Shadow - Animate one's shadow, stronger mages can create sickness in others by removal of their shadows
     - Light Absorption - block out light in an area.
     - Night Vision - see in the dark.
     - Sacred Darkness - create holy darkness.
     - Shadow Camouflage - be unseen in shadows.
     - Shadow Mimicry - become a shadow.
     - Umbraportation - teleport via the shadows and darkness.
  - Beast (choose 1 species of animal)
Royal Family - Lupei deceased

Beast

- Animal Transmutation - the power to turn others into animals
     - Animal Morphing - the ability to turn oneself into an animal
     - Animal Imitation - the ability to take on traits of specific animals
     - Animal Telepathy - ability to understand and be understood by animals
     - Animal Possession - take over the body of chosen animal
  - Spirit
Royal Family - Ivanov

Spirit

- Psychic Manipulation - putting thoughts and images into another's mind
     - Psychic Shadow  - can hide one's presence as a magic user from others
     - Psychic Possession - can take over the minds and bodies of non-magic users, in some cases possessing other mages but very rare
     - Healing
     - Regeneration - bringing the near-dead back to life to serve as linked subjects
     - Aura reading - able to read emotions and energy off those around them
     - Anti Psychic Presence - able to shut off psychic powers from those around them
     - Psychic shield and attack
  - Necromancy (New Power)
New Power / No Royal Family - Rooted in the Americas

Necromancy

- Death Transcendence - he ability to transcend through death, undeath, or necromancy
     - Soul Manipulation - ability to manipulate spirits of those that are dead or in a comatose state
     - Life-Force Manipulation - The ability to manipulate the essence of Life, which is present in all living beings throughout the universe (rare)
     - Undead manipulation - The power to hold command over the undead
     - Reanimation - Power to reanimate corpses and dead beings
     - Voodoo
     - Summoning - ability to call forth a dark entity to do one's bidding
  - Mythic Physiology
(New Power, discovered circa 2001, still largely unknown) Choose one mythical creature

Mythic

- Summoning - categorized as the ability to summon forth certain mythical creatures to act as one's familiar, guardian, and conduit
     - Mimicry - the ability to turn oneself into the specific mythical creature to whom they are tied
     - Possession - the ability to inhabit the mind of the mythical creature which they are capable of summoning

IC Thread
OOC Thread

Anouk Daae

Previously asked questions:

Are all the characters human?
       - For the most part, the characters played will be human. There are, however, situational exceptions to this rule.
           1) Characters with summoning abilities may choose to play their chosen subject as an NPC or as a secondary character.
           2) Characters categorized as Mythics may choose to identify as their specific mythical creature if their ability is to assume the shape of one.
   Is there some sort of danger to drive plot, or is it just a school with witches?
       - As the students begin to return to Rookshaven, their community is in a state of turmoil.
           1) With civil unrest in the world at large, similar events to the lead up of the 1850's rebellion begin occurring. Magic-users are going missing, homes are being burnt down with a combination spell called Shadow
                Fire after which the land is desecrated so officials can't help the spirits move on.
           2) This leads to suspicion of all Dark Binders as well as Fire Binders.
               2-a) Dark Binders and Fire Binders are still allowed, just play as though their community has a biased against them.
           3) Previously, the magic community was governed by a council made up of the 8 ruling families. With half of the royal lines snuffed out, a dictatorship has formed with the four remaining families placing their
               needs above the needs of the community at large.
           4) Without a right to vote, the remaining 6 magic classes grow disgruntled, causing them to fall under suspicion as well.
           5) There are two new mage classes now, neither of whom have any representation whatsoever within the community and are largely met with mistrust and scrutiny.
           6) Necromancers are seen as  dangerous fakes who steal power from the dead, while looked down upon for practicing forbidden arts like Blood Magic.
           7) Mythics are viewed as sub-human in many aristocratic circles both for racial purposes as well as because their class is still very much unknown. It wasn't until the Right to Free Education Act of 2013 that
               Mythics were even allowed to attend Rookshaven. Many still don't agree with the decision.

*Parents think that by sending their offspring to schools like Rookshaven, they'll be safe from the attacks. The issue is that with the ruins of St Andrew's being spelled to work as a conduit plus the recent addition of Necromancy to the curriculum, the campus grounds are now steeped in dark energy.  Possessions occur and no one is any wiser for it. It's not long before whomever or whatever is causing the attacks on the mage community makes their way behind the wrought iron gates of Rookshaven.

How old will the characters be?
      - Rookshaven Academy was originally a primary and secondary school (ages 4-18). However, in the last 30 years, a university has been founded on the property. For the purpose of following E rules, I will ask that
        any students under the age of 16 be strictly NPC. This means all playable characters will be at the minimum of their fourth year of school, if not higher. It is preferred that all student-characters have been enrolled
        at Rookshaven throughout their childhood, especially since the campus is funded by taxes upon the mage community - making it free for students.
         A) Teacher-characters will be allowed to be created as well, however, they will only be allowed as secondary characters until we have more players. The focus of Rookshaven will be the students.
  Can my character be mixed with two magic classes?
      - Technically, the magic community cannot stop an Air Binder from mating with a Dark Binder. It is therefore possible for a character to have traces of either power-tree.
        That said, the character won't have full access to both classes. While they're young, they may show signs of going either way, but during puberty one class will overtake the other.
         A) In some cases, mages may not develop their specific ability - in which case their powers from childhood will remain muted, if not leave altogether.
         B) Students whose powers diminish after puberty are still allowed to take general education classes with their peers.
   How many abilities can my character have?
      - For the purpose of keeping the game even: Choose 1 class and 2 abilities within it.
   So, you're saying my character can't have all the abilities listed in their class?
      - Correct
        A) Teacher Characters may choose a third.
             A-1) If the group grows big enough, I'd like to eventually introduce council members. Council Members, depending on their age, can have up to 5 abilities within their class, but are presently unavailable.
   If my character is a royal - will he/she ever be King/Queen?
      - The short answer is no.
         In this 'verse, Royalty refers to the original 8 founding families, each with a different class of ability. Each family would elect from among themselves 1(one) representative to have a seat on the Grand Council.   The Grand Council decides on laws, punishments, and taxes among the magic community at large. A Council Member is the highest level of legal authority. Under them, the highest level of authority within a royal
         family is called the Prince or Princess - this title is given to the eldest member of that family by blood. Anyone who isn't Council, Prince, or Princess within a royal family is called Lord or Lady after their 18th
         birthday.
            - In summation, Royalty in this game is not like royalty in real life.
   Are the royal families at least stronger in their abilities?
     - Also no, sorry. While the pure blood of the founding families does give them a wider pool of abilities for their genes to pull from, the strength of their abilities is determined by the strength of their character as
       individuals as well as upon how much they practice. The Royal characters strength lies in other areas - respect and fear from those beneath them. Generally, non-royals are spell-bound at birth to avoid another
       uprising, making it almost impossible to cast against a member of a royal family.
       In addition, most royals are accompanied by a Guardian, which are notoriously spell-resistant.

Anouk Daae

Checking for interest right now. If there is interest, I'll add an application.
For now, ask questions or tell me about a character idea you have.

I'm also going to be adding a few premade characters that are mostly NPC, but they can be adopted later on.

Chreestafer

I quite love this idea :)

Planting my interest flag here!!!
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Angie

Oh I am interested. Very interested. I have a small idea forming around an Earth Binder Teacher who runs physical education classes as well.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Angie on November 20, 2017, 02:11:23 PM
Oh I am interested. Very interested. I have a small idea forming around an Earth Binder Teacher who runs physical education classes as well.

That sounds really interesting and original. I like it.

Caela

Most definitly and interesting concept!

Kathyan

Thinking on a conceited and bitchy student with spirit magic who would be overly manipulative and could use someone teaching her a lesson.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Kathyan on November 20, 2017, 05:43:31 PM
Thinking on a conceited and bitchy student with spirit magic who would be overly manipulative and could use someone teaching her a lesson.

I really like that idea.
Royal family members are open as well, which could add to her arrogance.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Yoda

I am interested  ;D I am thinking of maybe water or beast.
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Chreestafer

Yup, after our PM I'm definitely going to stick as a Fire Binder with the abilities of Pyrokinesis and Fire Mimicry.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Anouk Daae

Applications:

[float=left][img height=300]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF06w2oWsAE4OG2.jpg:large[/img][/float]
[b]Player Name:[/b]

[b]Character Name:[/b]

[b]Character Nickname (if applicable):[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Grade Level: [/b]

[b]Mage Class:[/b]

[b]   Sub-abilities:[/b]

[b]Brief History:[/b]

Go forth!

Dhi

Yoda

Can we use art for our character's picture?
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Caela

Will work on a sheet tomorrow...am thinking a DarkBinder of the Notte line.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Yoda on November 20, 2017, 07:31:21 PM
Can we use art for our character's picture?

Apologies, for this story, please use "real" images. They can be doctored or photoshopped to show abilities, but otherwise no drawings, graphics, anime, etc.

persephone325

Out of curiosity, the Mythic ability to shape-shift into a mythical creature; is that solely limited to creatures like animals? Or does it encompass humanoids, like mermaids, vampires, succubi/incubi, etc.?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Anouk Daae

Quote from: persephone325 on November 20, 2017, 07:50:52 PM
Out of curiosity, the Mythic ability to shape-shift into a mythical creature; is that solely limited to creatures like animals? Or does it encompass humanoids, like mermaids, vampires, succubi/incubi, etc.?

It can be humanoids like mermaids. Werewolves would fall closer to Beast Binding. Vampires, Succubi/Incubi (demons and undead) are too close to Necromancy, so I would have to veto those.
Also keep in mind that Mythics weren't allowed into the school until 2013, so the oldest Mythic students would still be in primary school. Teacher positions as Mythic are available though, as a way to break apart the stigma and mystery surrounding Mythics. Another bit to keep in mind - Mythics originate in South East Asia, so it may be better to choose from mythical creatures and beings from folklore in that region.

Angie

Real pics only? Good thing I was already considering Terry Crews!

Player Name: Angie

Character Name: Johnathan Hodsen

Character Nickname (if applicable): Earthbreaker

Grade Level: Teacher

Mage Class: Earth Binder

Sub-abilities: Geokinesis, Terrakinesis

Brief History: Johnathan, like many Earth Binders of the current day, was born a bastard of the royal family. However, by the time of his birth, when anarchy was fermenting, his true parent gave explicit instruction (and a large sum of money to make sure it happened) to flee the country if a certain code phrase was sent to the people who raised him. The code was sent, and they fled all the way to China, where allies of the Moreau family were at least able to give the boy proper teaching in his arcane abilities when they manifested. A good amount of his education also consisted of martial arts training, which ended up enhancing his abilities. Once knowledge of his abilities reached the ears of the rebuilding council, they invited him to take a position as a physical education teacher, which he has accepted. While he has no knowledge of the current political situation, he is confident that regardless of struggle, he has the will to carry himself through it.

(Since I'm first, I have no idea how this will work out, but feel free to rate it as you feel like! This is more of a draft, suggestions are welcome)

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Angie on November 20, 2017, 08:52:44 PM
(Since I'm first, I have no idea how this will work out, but feel free to rate it as you feel like! This is more of a draft, suggestions are welcome)

I really love this character.
One thing, I probably didn't make this clear enough in the initial post. The four royal families were killed off between 1858 and 1912. Non-royals don't necessarily need to be bastards in present day. It's more that the royal lines of those particular classes were snuffed out. Basically those events took place a long time ago, so someone alive today wouldn't have had to sneak away like that - unless your bio is referring to the more recent terrorist attacks. But then those only started happening within the last few years, which wouldn't have effected his childhood.
Otherwise, I think he'll be a really cool addition to the staff at Rookshaven.

Oh, also, as a teacher, you can choose a third ability.

Yukina

This game looks quite interesting. (Not to mention, Angie, Sephie, and Dhi are here :) ) I think I'll join. However, may I ask how the abilities of the cross-blooded work at the start of character creation? I'd like to have my meek mage to have a stoic golem guardian.

persephone325

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 20, 2017, 10:26:17 PM
This game looks quite interesting. (Not to mention, Angie, Sephie, and Dhi are here :) ) I think I'll join. However, may I ask how the abilities of the cross-blooded work at the start of character creation? I'd like to have my meek mage have a stoic golem guardian.

Aww! Well hey there, you charmer! lol
I don't know.

firepyre

Hmm. Interesting.

A couple of questions.

Would playing a character who can only use one power, but is a prodigy with it be ok?

Just to clarify, are we playing as school students or Uni students?

If university students are ok, could we play older students say 25-30, who is doing some kind of postgrad, and maybe doing some tutoring on the side?

And probably most importantly, how is magic seen? Is the curriculum based around say, battle magic(with a lot of infighting or w/e going on in secret), or more aimed to be a more mundane everyday type of thing?

I'd love to do something around ferrokinesis. Exactly what depends on the answers to the questions, but I envision some kind of blademancer type of concept.

Angie

Quote from: Anouk Daae on November 20, 2017, 09:59:34 PM
I really love this character.
One thing, I probably didn't make this clear enough in the initial post. The four royal families were killed off between 1858 and 1912. Non-royals don't necessarily need to be bastards in present day. It's more that the royal lines of those particular classes were snuffed out. Basically those events took place a long time ago, so someone alive today wouldn't have had to sneak away like that - unless your bio is referring to the more recent terrorist attacks. But then those only started happening within the last few years, which wouldn't have effected his childhood.
Otherwise, I think he'll be a really cool addition to the staff at Rookshaven.

Oh, also, as a teacher, you can choose a third ability.

I'll just alter it so that the fleeing happened earlier and the family basically transplanted themselves into China, and his talents have caused the leadership to notice him.

Also I'm forgoing having a third ability-I forgot to put it in the bio or anywhere in the sheet, but I want him to be incredibly skilled at martial arts but the training for that cut into magical training so he has two abilities plus kung fu or tae kwon do or something.