Tarot readings and other forms of divination

Started by persephone325, January 23, 2013, 06:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

(Admins: I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it to the correct forum.)

I'm a practitioner of Wicca and I believe in tarot readings, scrying, and divination of all sorts. I had a tarot reading done a LOOONG time ago, but I remember enjoying the experience. I went out and bought my own tarot deck. (It's got pretty little faeries on it!) I've played around with it before, but never gave myself a reading. Time went by and I lost the deck. Recently, I found it in my room.

So, another sleepless night went by and I decided to get the cards out and give myself a reading. I was really shocked by the outcome. It was so eerily accurate that I thought I was subconsciously cheating or something.

I know of, at least, two people on E that believe in tarot; as I've seen their threads. (Water Lilly and Seraphino) But does anyone else remember their first time getting such an accurate reading? It kind of blew my mind. lol
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Silverfyre

While my own religious beliefs stir more towards agnosticism than anything else, I have always found Tarot to be rather fascinating.  I've had my fair share of bad experiences with those card readers at places like Ren Faires and the like who couldn't read the cards worth a damned (I mean, really, telling me I'm gay and will find true love only near the end of my life is pretty off, especially when I was wearing a wedding band and my wife was sitting beside me...) but there have been a few who have been pretty dead on.  I received a deck (the so-called "default deck" of Rider-Waite design) a long time ago from a close friend, wrapped in a black, silk bag.  This was how I was always told to keep the deck but my interest in actually reading the cards myself didn't happen until about ten years ago.  I picked up the deck after a particularly good reading by another friend and read her cards for her.  Apparently, I did insanely well.  I find them fascinating not as just a divining tool but also because of how symbolism is utilized in the pictures and the resulting interpretation when done in a spread.  As a literature major, I can appreciate and decipher it decently enough.  Whether I am just a natural or it comes from knowing the people I have read and being able to fit the pictures to their lives is up for debate but I do love Tarot either way.

Castiel

I've always wanted to get a tarot reading done but I can't seem to find anyone around here who does things like that. At one time, my grandmother did readings but its been so long since she has done one that she doesn't have her own tarot deck anymore. I have one of my own but I rarely take it out. I've played around with it but never really done a serious reading before. It is something that interests me though.

Kuroneko

I have several tarot decks (I just got the new Wildwood Celtic deck - squee!), some that I use for others and one I just use for myself.  I also have runes, ogham and several other divination tools that I find very useful.  For me, they help me focus and consult my inner self, and like Silver, the symbolism of the various cards assists in understanding the various factors and influences that are affecting a particular situation.  When consulting an oracle for myself, I really love the runes.  I always get scary accurate information from them.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Silverfyre

Runes are something I have always wanted to try and learn but have never found the time.  You know, I should just make the damned time..

Silver

I had a deck long ago but now I have an app on my phone that works rather well 'Galaxy Tarot Pro' One day I would love to get a real reading done, perhaps for my birthday.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

BlightRaptor

I actually have STUPID amounts of Tarot decks. I've taken to collecting them as they've become one of my favorite art forms. I don't fancy myself especially good at giving readings though. 3 card spreads are about as fancy as I can get. The Thoth deck is probably one of my favorites, even though it's one of the hardest to grasp.

Oniya

Quote from: BlightRaptor on January 23, 2013, 02:31:18 PM
I actually have STUPID amounts of Tarot decks. I've taken to collecting them as they've become one of my favorite art forms. I don't fancy myself especially good at giving readings though. 3 card spreads are about as fancy as I can get. The Thoth deck is probably one of my favorites, even though it's one of the hardest to grasp.

I'm rather partial to the Thoth deck, myself.  I saw the artwork over someone's shoulder at a con, and I was hooked.  The other one that I would like to get my hands on is the Watcher Angel deck.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

I always wanted to get my hands on a Vertigo deck. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's Shadowscapes deck is my other favorite design now.

BlightRaptor

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 23, 2013, 03:10:18 PM
I always wanted to get my hands on a Vertigo deck. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's Shadowscapes deck is my other favorite design now.

I have the Vertigo deck as well. It's pretty sweet.

Lilias

I have a lot of oracle decks, but not proper tarots, apart from the M:tA set. I collect them for the artwork mostly, although I always read up on the symbols as well.

My favourite, and the only one I regularly use for insight purposes, is The Wisdom Well (the reason is obvious to anyone who knows me ;))

One of these days I will get me the Favole deck and frame it...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

BlightRaptor

For anyone who's a Lovecraft enthusiast, or just like dark themes, the Necronomicon Deck is pretty good. It's one of my favorites and is pretty faithful to the traditional Golden Dawn structure and motifs. The Minor Arcana show a definite story that correlate with the alchemical elements, for that reason I'm sad to shuffle them. My one qualm is that they're a tad delicate around the edges and have been nipped after some rigorous shuffling.

RedPhoenix

I love Tarot cards. I don't know if I would say I believe or not. For me anything that falls under fortune telling is basically, does it matter if I believe or not? If its true it doesn't require me to believe. So I don't really put any energy into believing I just sort of enjoy the experience.

Can someone read my cards please????? :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

HairyHeretic

I don't read tarot, but I do work with the runes (Elder Futhark). I'd be happy to discuss those with anyone who wanted to learn more about them.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

persephone325

I've always been interested in runes, as well. I don't know anything about them.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

BlightRaptor

Maybe I'll do some amateur tarot readings on here some time...

Wouldn't mind learning about runes too.

HairyHeretic

I'll post something when I have time to write it up. Will probably take me a day or two.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Miss Lilly

I miss doing the readings in my tarot thread....maybe I can find time to reboot it this year.

My deck uses images out of Greek mythology....I love it! And every reading I've done on myself has been spot on. Most of the ones in my thread were pretty good too, so I was told.
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Silverfyre

Oh, I would love that, Lilly!  I used to follow it.

Miss Lilly

Visit Lola's!

Silverfyre

Miss Lilly

*laughs* So it seems!

And now I'm itching to get started, lol
Visit Lola's!

Silverfyre

I gladly volunteer as your first victim, er, customer!

Miss Lilly

*rubs her hands together gleefully*

Cross my palm with silver, and my first victim *coughs* customer you shall be!!  ;)
Visit Lola's!

persephone325

I don't know.