Tarot readings and other forms of divination

Started by persephone325, January 23, 2013, 06:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Lilly

Looks like I have a project to be getting on with tomorrow!  :p
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

persephone325

I have a question though. How do the readings work when you do them for other people? Since you do yours over the internet, wouldn't the tarot deck just be infused with your thoughts and feelings? How could it be so accurate for someone else?

As you can tell, I'm still sort of a "noob" with tarot... :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Caeli

I actually studied the Major Arcana quite a bit for my senior thesis. It was fascinating to read about the different symbologies and meanings behind the symbols. I've always told myself I would study it more fully and get my own deck - one that resonates with me and speaks to me - but I always keep putting it off.

Where do you all find your tarot decks?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Silverfyre

Any major book store should carry them.  I got my deck from a friend but I have also gotten a few more from local Ren Faires.

Oniya

Science fiction/fantasy conventions are also a good place to look.  (And if you stalk the consuite, you can often get a chance to see one in action before you buy.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

I collect cards -- not just Tarot cards, but all sorts -- and I've picked them up all over the place.  Pretty much every deck I have, and that's quite a few, has 'called' to me to one extent or another.  Sometimes it's just as simple as an attractive design, a theme I like, or something otherwise unusual about the deck (one of my favorites is a deck from Prohibition, when taxes were imposed on 'luxury items' like cards to help make up for lost alcohol revenue, and this deck is still wrapped in the original cellophane with a stamp showing that the tax had been paid).  Of my several decks of Tarot cards, I've only used two, and one of those is far and away my favorite -- it's done in an Art Deco theme and I love it.

I've had the least luck finding the 'right' Tarot decks for me at places that specialize in selling such things, though, oddly enough.  The decks I've bought have all come from more unexpected places -- one I special ordered from a comic book shop, one came from a very eclectic little store I like to browse through whenever I visit my sister (they carry a little bit of everything from jewelry to clothes to musical instruments), and one I found at a booth at an arts & crafts festival.  For me it's always seemed more like I keep my eyes open and the decks find me rather than the other way around.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

BlightRaptor

Quote from: Caeli on January 28, 2013, 02:00:00 PM
I actually studied the Major Arcana quite a bit for my senior thesis. It was fascinating to read about the different symbologies and meanings behind the symbols. I've always told myself I would study it more fully and get my own deck - one that resonates with me and speaks to me - but I always keep putting it off.

I actually got most of mine through Amazon. Some were Christmas presents. The Thoth deck was a birthday present while it was out of print. I think my family ordered it from Germany for me...

persephone325

Quote from: Caeli on January 28, 2013, 02:00:00 PM

I got my fae deck at Borders. Long before they went out of business... :(
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

BlightRaptor

Making my own deck has been on my to-do list...

Lilias

Most of my decks came with me from Greece. There's a particular New-Age-friendly bookstore I make sure to raid every time I visit. Of those I got in the UK, one is a miniature set from Waterstone's, another an oversized one I picked up at The Works (discount bookstore) for £5, and several little oracle decks from magazines. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: persephone325 on January 28, 2013, 10:39:37 AM
I have a question though. How do the readings work when you do them for other people? Since you do yours over the internet, wouldn't the tarot deck just be infused with your thoughts and feelings? How could it be so accurate for someone else?

As you can tell, I'm still sort of a "noob" with tarot... :-)
Hi persephone, I know your question was directed at someone else, but I'll take a crack at it if you don't mind. :) I've been reading Tarot for about 24 years now, the last decade+ online. As a reader, your emotions should not really have anything to do with your reading. As for your thoughts, so long as you are focused on the other person, then all of that energy is being channeled back and forth between the two of you. Which then goes to the cards, and voila! There's your reading. I've always received compliments on accuracy w/my readings, so I'm gonna say readings online should really be no different than readings in person. (Hell, in person, I won't even let the other person touch my cards...unless it's just to look at them. I cringe when people shuffle my cards! lol)

If you want to learn more about Tarot, I highly recommend Aeclectic.net. It is an awesome forum (one I've neglected for too many years, I must say) & you can really learn a lot there. This thread reminds me of it, b/c there are so many threads talking about which decks you own & which ones you want. *sigh*

I had a Tarot thread up in the Non-Adult area for a bit where I did readings. Even though the readings were "in character," I told the other members I'd be doing a real reading either way. Had some success with it, which was nice. For that, I just did short 3-4 card readings, but I've created spreads that are much bigger. My favourite is my Chakra spread. :) It's HUGE, though...something like 17 cards.

Anyway, hope this helps! I tried runes a few times, but we never "clicked." :(
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Miss Lilly

*nodsnods*  That's pretty much what I do - focus on the person who I'm doing a reading for while I'm shuffling my deck.  If it's someone I know, I think about the things that I know about them. If it's someone I don't, I focus on their E profile. 

I find that I'm quite accurate, although there have been glaring exceptions to that from time to time, lol.  But I don't try to pretend I'm an expert!  :)
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

persephone325

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on January 28, 2013, 09:39:24 PM
Hi persephone, I know your question was directed at someone else, but I'll take a crack at it if you don't mind. :) I've been reading Tarot for about 24 years now, the last decade+ online. As a reader, your emotions should not really have anything to do with your reading. As for your thoughts, so long as you are focused on the other person, then all of that energy is being channeled back and forth between the two of you. Which then goes to the cards, and voila! There's your reading. I've always received compliments on accuracy w/my readings, so I'm gonna say readings online should really be no different than readings in person. (Hell, in person, I won't even let the other person touch my cards...unless it's just to look at them. I cringe when people shuffle my cards! lol)

If you want to learn more about Tarot, I highly recommend Aeclectic.net. It is an awesome forum (one I've neglected for too many years, I must say) & you can really learn a lot there. This thread reminds me of it, b/c there are so many threads talking about which decks you own & which ones you want. *sigh*

I had a Tarot thread up in the Non-Adult area for a bit where I did readings. Even though the readings were "in character," I told the other members I'd be doing a real reading either way. Had some success with it, which was nice. For that, I just did short 3-4 card readings, but I've created spreads that are much bigger. My favourite is my Chakra spread. :) It's HUGE, though...something like 17 cards.

Anyway, hope this helps! I tried runes a few times, but we never "clicked." :(

Thanks! I never really understood how that worked, but I'm starting to get it now. Especially since it's been so long since I've done anything with tarot.

Aeclectic.net; I'll definitely be checking that out tonight. ;D
I don't know.

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: persephone325 on January 28, 2013, 10:00:38 PM
Thanks! I never really understood how that worked, but I'm starting to get it now. Especially since it's been so long since I've done anything with tarot.

Aeclectic.net; I'll definitely be checking that out tonight. ;D
You're very welcome, persephone! As with all things, Tarot gets easier with practice. I'm still learning new things about it, and it feels like I've been reading forever! lol...

Hope you like Aeclectic! I wonder if I can still sign in? Hmmm... *runs off to check* XD
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Izzie Aditi

I became interested in tarot (and yoga) around the age of 7: a friend's mom was heavily into it and it sort of grew from there. A few years later, she gifted me a deck (which sadly went missing during one of my moves) and taught me card spreads, meanings etcetera. It's been a dormant interest during my teen years, I did some readings just for fun and to not "lose touch".

At the moment, I own the Legacy of the Divine Tarot deck, which has very fantasy-inspired images...haven't gotten around to using it yet. I also own (and use) the Osho Zen deck, which is a bit different from usual tarot as it focuses on the here and now instead of the future. I've heard a lot of comments online about that specific deck: some people find it difficult to use, some cards are different from "standard" tarot cards..etcetera. However, I enjoy using it and actually prefer to use it over other "standard" decks.   
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

LilyRoseBlack23

Quote from: persephone325 on January 23, 2013, 06:00:27 AM
(Admins: I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it to the correct forum.)

I'm a practitioner of Wicca and I believe in tarot readings, scrying, and divination of all sorts. I had a tarot reading done a LOOONG time ago, but I remember enjoying the experience. I went out and bought my own tarot deck. (It's got pretty little faeries on it!) I've played around with it before, but never gave myself a reading. Time went by and I lost the deck. Recently, I found it in my room.

So, another sleepless night went by and I decided to get the cards out and give myself a reading. I was really shocked by the outcome. It was so eerily accurate that I thought I was subconsciously cheating or something.

I know of, at least, two people on E that believe in tarot; as I've seen their threads. (Water Lilly and Seraphino) But does anyone else remember their first time getting such an accurate reading? It kind of blew my mind. lol

I remember one time, I was on a roleplay game site, and I had a demigod child of Hecate, so I was dabbling in learning how to interpret tarot cards so I could give insightful and interesting in character readings, one day apparently someone asked a question for their character that mirrored their real life, and they said that based on the reading it was really really accurate. That was the first time that I realised that maybe there was something to it, I've never done a reading on myself though, I've always wanted to get one, just never had the money.

persephone325

So I found this cool app on the Google Play Store that does tarot readings for you. I have it set to give me a daily tarot card as well. The one I got today (3/10/14) is the reversed Seven of Pentacles. The description is this:

"When the Seven of Pentacles shows up revered it may be that you are ready to give up on something you've been working on for a while because you are not getting the results you hoped for.

Instead of turning your back on this thing you've invested so much into, look for the lesson in your errors. Though you may be disappointed, it is likely that you've learned many things that will contribute to your future success."

This card really caught my attention, as I've been feeling this way about a game I'm running that has suffered several setbacks. But I've wanted to stick by it because I invested a lot of time and effort into it, and I believe that sticking by it will be the best option. And I know that people are having fun right now, anyway. ^^ All I want to do it run a great game.
I don't know.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: persephone325 on March 10, 2014, 12:23:39 AM
So I found this cool app on the Google Play Store that does tarot readings for you.

Can you link this or tell me the name of it?

And good luck with your game! :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

persephone325

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 10, 2014, 12:34:36 AM
Can you link this or tell me the name of it?

And good luck with your game! :)

Thanks!

It's called "Galaxy Tarot".
I don't know.

Rhedyn

I've tried out a load of different forms of divination over the years though generally stick to using my Wildwood Tarot now. I also love The Faeries Oracle though have been using this set less recently. I absolutely love the art work on tarot and oracle sets, several of the ones I own are purely for aesthetic purposes. If I had the money and space I would buy more and collect them.

Several years ago I made my own set of wooden runes, I also have a pendulum (which I tend to use more when I do healing work), a crystal ball for scrying and a self created divination set of different items that appeal to me. There may be more but I can't remember what I have stashed away in my cupboards.

I used to read the cards for other people with some wonderful results though tend to read them for myself more now than others. I actually find it easier to do readings for other people as I don't tend to over think the messages in the way I do for myself.

Mnemaxa

I've had very accurate readings through both Tarot and the I Ching divination.  I Ching, is more open to subconscious interpretation, which allows you to fit your divination in more easily.  Tarot is less flexible but tends to allow for a more open mind to situations not previously seen or made aware of. 

Just my opinion.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Silverfyre

I just got the Wildwood Tarot a few weeks back and I am in love with it.  The art work, the system, the cards... all of it is just exactly what I hoped to find in a personal Tarot deck.  I still haven't done any readings yet as I am still studying the cards but it is fantastic!

Kurzyk

The tarot deck that I've most have connected with over the years is the Thoth deck. It's written by Aleister Crowley with the images done by Lady Freida Harris. I love the symbolism of each card.

I also love the Medicine deck although that's not a traditional tarot deck.

Oniya

Quote from: Kurzyk on March 10, 2014, 12:04:57 PM
The tarot deck that I've most have connected with over the years is the Thoth deck. It's written by Aleister Crowley with the images done by Lady Freida Harris. I love the symbolism of each card.

That is a beautiful deck.  I have one as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mnemaxa

My Tarot Deck is a Ukiyo-e Japanese woodcut print deck; I have a set of actual Chinese coins for my I Ching divination (counting out yarrow stalks takes hours).

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.