News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

I think what he is trying to say is that BDSM will get mainstreamed and prove to be more harmful than good.  Personally I don't think it will have any effect but hell if this book is causing this much of an unnecessary uproar who knows right?
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Lilias

There are enough abusive relationships out there already. In the worst of cases, we're going to see abuse with a theme. (Though I took a peek at the end of the trilogy, and the schmaltz almost sent me into a coma.)

As for the internet, BDSM sites are so chock-full of trolls and wannabes that the prospect of an influx of freshly minted ones of the same simply makes me feel they deserve one another.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 14, 2012, 12:55:22 PM
This.  We also have the added benefit of being able to choose who we roleplay and associate with here on Elliquiy.  I doubt I'm going to be writing with a "BDSM is only this way, like the goddess James said!" individual any time soon so it'll hardly be made miserable for me.

Not considering the lengthy waiting list.  They'd lose patience (or be blown away by the fact that you use actual nouns to describe things, and not vague adverbs) ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Torch

This:

Quote from: Stone on July 14, 2012, 12:40:44 PM
If the community is so fragile that a badly written, well-timed, sensationalized book can do the kind of damage you suggest, then the community needs work a lot more than the book needs criticizing.

And this:

Quote from: Lilias on July 14, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
I fail to see how a misrepresentation of BDSM over a bunch of books is going to make things miserable for 'us' - I suppose that's the population of E (a large part of whom don't engage in BDSM, incidentally).

I don't have anything else to add.

I see the book for the literature fail that it is, but if other folks enjoy, more power to them. If it brings more boys to our yard, great. If it doesn't, that's fine too.

Really, who cares? And why would anyone spend a second of their day worrying amidst prophecies of "The end is nigh!"

Come on, now....  ::)

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Silverfyre

Quote from: Oniya on July 14, 2012, 01:33:29 PM
Not considering the lengthy waiting list.  They'd lose patience (or be blown away by the fact that you use actual nouns to describe things, and not vague adverbs) ;)

Nouns are all I have sometimes.  Or "words, words, words".

And if you ever want to be on said list, you have but to ask.  I know the bouncer.  He'd put you near the top.  Heh.

Miss Lilly

Ten chapters in, and the number of words I'm blacklisting from my writing vernacular is growing exponentially. Oh my!

Something I specifically dislike...
I, like some others have said, have a big problem with the fact the Grey's previous relationship as a submissive is being portrayed as him having been abused, or corrupted. What. A. Crock.

The saddest part, I'm finding, is that after a while, you start to become immune to the terrible writing.   :-\ 
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Iniquitous

Sadly, I did not become immune to the bad writing. I had to stop reading it because the writing was killing me and that was even with me trying to look at it as a comedy. I just couldn't make myself read anymore.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

SinXAzgard21

I sorry for all those reading it and I wish your brains speedy recoveries....  This book is banned in my house so I have no worries about it.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Rolo

As it has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, the book is in first person. That person portrays a straight, struggling to understand a dominant. Though, poorly written, I believe Ms. James is doing an adequate job of portraying a straight trying to comprehend the lifestyle. Agreed that the bdsm, d/s lifestyle is being misrepresented, but what do expect from someone that likely has never experienced the lifestyle.  Until I found E, I myself would probably think that those in the bdsm, d/s lifestyle were broken and environments made them that way rather than a conscious choice.  I have been educated on the lifestyle and even attempted to write a Dom character. I don't pass judgement on the community, and challenge those in the community to put themselves forward and write something from a bdsm, d/s perspective. Obviously ability to write is not a factor as long as you have a semi-plausible story and a lot of hype. I am certain that the E community has enough moxie to rally support and creat as much hype.

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

Torch

Quote from: Rolo on July 15, 2012, 05:10:30 PM
As it has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, the book is in first person. That person portrays a straight, struggling to understand a dominant. Though, poorly written, I believe Ms. James is doing an adequate job of portraying a straight trying to comprehend the lifestyle.

Just FYI, I think the word you are looking for here is "vanilla" not straight.

Straight implies heterosexual, whereas vanilla implies someone unfamiliar with, or a non-practitioner of, kink and/or BDSM.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Rolo

Thank you for the point of clarification Torch!  Still learning.

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

Shjade

This whole discussion just makes me want to introduce people who are getting their first taste of "the scene" through these books to Shiniez's gallery. Whether its approach to BDSM is terribly accurate I'd have no idea, but it is at least 1) creative and 2) demonstrates more human, healthy, normal (for lack of a better word) relationships between its characters than what appears to be the case in FSoG.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

Huhn, Lesbians and bondage.  He's clearly playing it 'safe' with the BDSM themes, Shiniez is...  Still, it's miles better than the stuff that FSoG is trying to do.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 15, 2012, 07:53:55 PM
Huhn, Lesbians and bondage.  He's clearly playing it 'safe' with the BDSM themes, Shiniez is...

Even safer than that, really, given they're all bisexual rather than lesbians. Alan and Ally - the main dominant characters - played around with each other a lot throughout college, Lisa had boyfriends before, Anne gets involved with Ally first and goes over to Alan later...
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Wait, he goes both genders?  Then I retract my statement.

Explanation:

Main reason BDSM with Lesbians as the only ones doing the activities is because of an old ruling, where men weren't allowed to be seen dominating female subs.  Although I believe that's been changed, the courts and the various lawmakers are still uncomfortable about it.

And the fact that it's a cartoon doesn't stop some countries to charge people for owning/reading about it.  It's gotten pretty stupid and silly.

But having lesbians go about it is a-OK! Sometimes the inherent hypocrisy of society is really irritating...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Miss Lilly

Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

TheGlyphstone

Valentinian

I know there are already many spoofs out there. Still, I suspect Elliquiy has a higher-than-average chance of finding an audience knowledgeable about both Duke Nukem and 50 Shades of Grey...

...so here is voice actor John St. John having a crack at the prose:

Team Four Star makes Jon St. John read 50 Shades

Shjade

Amusingly enough, it's about as good as Duke Nukem's usual dialogue.
◕/◕'s

Saidi

Quote from: Valentinian on July 17, 2012, 10:29:07 AM
I know there are already many spoofs out there. Still, I suspect Elliquiy has a higher-than-average chance of finding an audience knowledgeable about both Duke Nukem and 50 Shades of Grey...

...so here is voice actor John St. John having a crack at the prose:

Team Four Star makes Jon St. John read 50 Shades

I'm laughing so hard my cheeks and my middle hurt. lol  thanks for that.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Isobel

Haha guess WHAT:

"Jumping on the Fifty Shades of Grey bandwagon, along with the rest of UK publishing, the small press is about to launch erotic rewrites of classic titles including Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Jane Eyre and A Study in Scarlet."

Guardian
Girls R Sexy!

Silverfyre

Gods help us all.

"Oh, Mr. Darcy!  Why must you discreetly place your forefinger up my puckered love orifice?"

Valentinian

Quote from: Isobel on July 17, 2012, 04:38:21 PM
Haha guess WHAT:

"Jumping on the Fifty Shades of Grey bandwagon, along with the rest of UK publishing, the small press is about to launch erotic rewrites of classic titles including Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Jane Eyre and A Study in Scarlet."

Wait, what? A Study in Scarlet? Really?

"Let us see what we have here..." Holmes said cordially, gripping my rod with a strength for which I should hardly have given him credit. "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."

"How on earth did you know that?" I asked in astonishment. "You were told, no doubt."

"Nothing of the sort, dear Doctor. I arrived at the conclusion without being conscious of intermediate steps. I have a kind of intuition that way, which facilitates matters wonderfully.  But sometimes a subject requires the, ah, fullness of my attention… then I have to see things with my own eyes. “

He paused to shove his hands into the bath robe.

“Come along, Doctor. And take off your trousers. I shall demonstrate that it is all quite elementary.”

Star Safyre

Quote from: Isobel on July 17, 2012, 04:38:21 PM
Haha guess WHAT:

Guardian

Brain broken. I have no words, only reaction gifs.

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones