mp3 player advice needed!

Started by Miss Lilly, November 05, 2012, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Lilly

So...I want to get my son a iPod-touch like mp3 player for christmas, but I'm reluctant to buy Apple products.

Does anyone know of something similar that's not Apple?
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Koren

The only mp3 that I use is called iriver, (not related to apple at all, dont worry) but I'm not sure if its avalible outside Aus or if its what youre looking for.
I have a friend that uses a Coby 8GB Touch MP3 Player and says its pretty good.

These links might be helpful for your search, especially the second

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6499_7-6612380.html
http://www.squidoo.com/touch-screen-mp3-players

Arohk

I can vouch for the iPod. I absolutely loathe Apple, but as of recent events in getting a new player, I have found that it is definitely the best of the barrel.

However, for a really long time, I used a Sony MP3 player. On the plus side to getting a Sony, the interface is really easy to use and has a nice setup. There are great custom controls in the sound department, and it can play almost any file format. They are very compact and durable. They work with Windows Media Player, and other common programs and Sync using a USB port; making it easy to charge and manage. The downside is that unless you want to pay a good amount of money, it doesn't have much storage space. They have touch screen versions as well as regular, I myself preferred the regular when it came to this product as you are paying too much for the touch screen in my opinion.

The second brand that most people would mention is Microsoft Zune. There is nothing much to say about it because it is basically Microsoft's answer to iPod. It's an iPod with Microsoft's formats. The only downside (which isn't that big of a deal) is that the interface and program (like iTunes) are harder to use and manage than iPod or Windows Media Player. It feels cluttered in comparison.

I hope that answers anything. You'll probably get other responses, but I have owned all three of these products. iPod would be my player of choice, then Sony, then Zune. Not because Zune is bad, but because Sony is far cheaper and has superior sound quality in my opinion.

Miss Lilly

Koren...I'm Australian, and I've heard of iRiver, but I thought they'd kind of faded out.  I'll have a look around and see if I can find one to have a look at.

Arohk...I've never heard of Zune, but the Sony sounds like it might be what I'm looking for.  Part of my problem with iPod is getting locked into using iTunes. I'd much rather use Media Player if I can!  Does the Sony support games and things like the iPod-touch?

Thankyou so much for your advice, guys!

Visit Lola's!

Callie Del Noire

My suggestion.. is that you look at the customer service options between the iPod and the Sony one.. it's one VITAL point of buying things for kids. They are HARD on them. That being said as an owner of iPods, Sony players and such back to the original mp3 player (crap can't recall the name now) I would say between the iPod's control simplicity AND it's applecare program.. it's a very good choice for kids. (My niece broke two through no fault of her own.. the ability to replace them pretty much cost free.. is PRICELESS.)

Moraline

Interesting subject. I'm looking at getting a new one.

I just want to pull my music files off my computer and put them onto the device without any hassles. Then play them.

I also want the touch screen gaming functions as well.

What is there besides the iPod? ((That means, please don't endorse the iPod.)) PS: Sony was under consideration. Price isn't an issue for me - I'm more concerned with ease of use and quality.

Miss Lilly

Callie...my son is nearly 15, and although that doesn't necessarily mean he's better at not breaking things than younger kids, I'm hoping he'll have a little more respect for it.  It's mainly for taking to swim meets, to give him something to do between swims (which could be achieved with a hand held game consol, it's true, but all the 'cool' games are downloaded now, apparently) and so that he can stick his headphones on while he's in marshalling and actually focus on his race prep, lol.

Moraline...that's exactly what I'm looking for too!
Visit Lola's!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Water Lilly on November 05, 2012, 06:27:57 PM
Callie...my son is nearly 15, and although that doesn't necessarily mean he's better at not breaking things than younger kids, I'm hoping he'll have a little more respect for it.  It's mainly for taking to swim meets, to give him something to do between swims (which could be achieved with a hand held game consol, it's true, but all the 'cool' games are downloaded now, apparently) and so that he can stick his headphones on while he's in marshalling and actually focus on his race prep, lol.

Moraline...that's exactly what I'm looking for too!

My niece is a 17 year old tennis player who uses hers between matches. :D So I'm not talking about a couch potato but an active responsible teen. She just had a few spills (one fell of the bleachers as she ran to do her match) and the other fell out of her bag at school, and the last..well, we're not EXACTLY sure why it stopped working)

Arohk

If that is the case, then I would definitely go with Sony. They are tough. I had my original one for 4 years before it kicked the bucket. Still the only thing to consider is how much music they would want to put on it. A regular $40 Sony MP3 player can fit about 800 songs. That is what I got with it.

The Sony supports everything from games to Podcasts. You can watch movies, episodes, basically whatever you want. The only thing, again, would be the space. You would get far less space should you put movies and such on it. Unless you go for a higher end one. The one that was released not so long ago to places like Best Buy was a touch screen around $400. Had plenty of space.

As I said in my previous post, Sony works with Windows Media Player. It is a simple drag-and-drop function. You have items in your playlist or library, and you simply drag it to the Sync tab. When you have everything you want, you click Sync and it all goes there.

I will point out that Zune, although Microsoft developed, does NOT work with Media Player. It has it's own software akin to iTunes.

Plus, if you buy from a place like Best Buy (who carries Sony and iPod), you can buy a service plan that protects the product. So as iPod has Applecare, that does not mean everything else doesn't. Just make sure you buy from who you want to buy from.

Overall, I highly recommend Sony based on what you are looking for. Both of you.

Callie Del Noire

I stick by reading up on what is offered in your area. A lot of folks have sneered at that advice. My first mp3 player wasn't covered. The one I bought in Spain had a fairly nice service plan from the navy exchange. The applecare plan can be better than the best buy plan (depending on the item), I know that it is fairly good for the iPad and iPhone..but the Bestbuy plan for my Macbook pro was better (and cheaper at the point I got it) and it was definitely better for my sony handycam and HP laptop when I got them there.

Always search and check.

HP is okay.. Sony typically matches (not always) with Best Buy..

Miss Lilly

Callie....my main concern is it getting dropped in the pool!  Damn swimmers being around water all the time.  It's a pain! ;)

Arohk, that sounds perfect!  I'll look into the Sony.
Visit Lola's!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Water Lilly on November 05, 2012, 07:27:25 PM
Callie....my main concern is it getting dropped in the pool!  Damn swimmers being around water all the time.  It's a pain! ;)

Arohk, that sounds perfect!  I'll look into the Sony.

Then might I suggest in ADDITION to the player you should look into waterproof cases. 

Vekseid

Archos is another major touchscreen mp3 player manufacturer. Their reviews have tended to be middling, though newer Android versions may help with that.

Miss Lilly

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 05, 2012, 07:33:59 PM
Then might I suggest in ADDITION to the player you should look into waterproof cases. 

It's high on my list of must haves, lol.

Quote from: Vekseid on November 05, 2012, 10:18:00 PM
Archos is another major touchscreen mp3 player manufacturer. Their reviews have tended to be middling, though newer Android versions may help with that.

Hm...never heard of Archos, Veks.  Off to Google I go!
Visit Lola's!

Lux12

Zunes and Sanas tend to be pretty good.

Miss Lilly

Actually...I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Player - has all the features of the phone, but without the phone bits. It's pretty darn awesome!

Thankyou, everyone, for your advice. It was very helpful!
Visit Lola's!

Sabby

I've had my hot pink iPod Nano since grade 10. When I was 16.

I am 24. I can see it's insides .__. it can't hold a charge, it can't lock, it can tell me it has a half a battery and then die in 5 minutes, and it drains even if I turn it off. And yet I use it every day.

A bare bones, cheap but attractive and functional MP3 player would be great right about now :3 any ideas?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on November 13, 2012, 06:05:32 PM
I've had my hot pink iPod Nano since grade 10. When I was 16.

I am 24. I can see it's insides .__. it can't hold a charge, it can't lock, it can tell me it has a half a battery and then die in 5 minutes, and it drains even if I turn it off. And yet I use it every day.

A bare bones, cheap but attractive and functional MP3 player would be great right about now :3 any ideas?

Don't ask me.. I'm biased towards Apple :D I like their applecare plans.. not paid for a broken one yet that I have had covered by it. (and I've had some very suspicious failures.. happened when you work around a bunch of bored electronic techs and a radar's magnetron)