News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

There is a rumor that Bryan Singer was/is interested in doing an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover. Isn't Fantastic Four in the same universe as the Avengers?

Excalibur could work. If there is a possibility of an X-Force movie, Excalibur couldn't be far behind. They could expand those movies like they are doing with Avengers and the others. Though it seems like the X-Men franchise for the most part is being pushed aside in favor of the others. And, since Psylocke is making an appearance in the new X-Men movie, only natural to have her twin brother, Captain Britain/Brian Braddock appear too, possibly in the Excalibur movie.

New Warriors could fit in the Avengers universe since Nova/Rich Ryder was a part of the team.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 28, 2015, 09:58:27 AM
There is a rumor that Bryan Singer was/is interested in doing an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover. Isn't Fantastic Four in the same universe as the Avengers?

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 28, 2015, 09:58:27 AM

Excalibur could work. If there is a possibility of an X-Force movie, Excalibur couldn't be far behind. They could expand those movies like they are doing with Avengers and the others. Though it seems like the X-Men franchise for the most part is being pushed aside in favor of the others. And, since Psylocke is making an appearance in the new X-Men movie, only natural to have her twin brother, Captain Britain/Brian Braddock appear too, possibly in the Excalibur movie.

New Warriors could fit in the Avengers universe since Nova/Rich Ryder was a part of the team.

Fox already said they weren't going to do a F4/X-Men crossover. Though that would rock since both are getting reboots (X-Men later, but F4 is probably going to keep on getting them til they get it right) which would make it easier than trying to shoehorn them in, it'll be able to happen at an earlier stage with planning to do it from the start.

If they were going to get a footballer in the MCU it'd probably just be Flash Thompson from Spider-Man's universe now that he's coming around to the MCU.

And speaking of Captain Britain, I can't help but wonder if that is what Martin Freeman is going to turn out to be in Civil War. Maybe he's like Hank Pym, where he was the original, but back in the day and is now retired from it. Wouldn't that be cool? I'd love to see a scene with the two of them, Freeman and Douglas, reminiscing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with Martin Freeman since there is no official reveal yet.

Any word on the release dates for the other Netflix series? I am really eager to see them especially watch Daredevil again.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

The Netflix shows are supposed to be coming out every 6 months, so Jessica Jones should be arriving in October

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 28, 2015, 03:12:33 PM
The Netflix shows are supposed to be coming out every 6 months, so Jessica Jones should be arriving in October

I'd heard it was closer to December. Let me look on imdb or wikipedia.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

SapphireStar

In a article about when the netflix shows are coming out, they mentioned that possibly the Punisher might get his own tv show after debuting on Daredevil.

Another rumor just surfaced, apparently there is something going on with the Gambit movie. Channing Tatum and his producer friend are on the verge of pulling out of the movie. SOmething about Tatum wanting to make his directorial debut and he is set to star in the 23 Jump Street movie set to start production.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 29, 2015, 09:06:08 AM
In a article about when the netflix shows are coming out, they mentioned that possibly the Punisher might get his own tv show after debuting on Daredevil.

Another rumor just surfaced, apparently there is something going on with the Gambit movie. Channing Tatum and his producer friend are on the verge of pulling out of the movie. SOmething about Tatum wanting to make his directorial debut and he is set to star in the 23 Jump Street movie set to start production.

A bit ambitious for a guy more known for his looks than his acting talent/intellect, isn't it? Well, follow your dreams and all that...

I'm not surprised about the Punisher perhaps getting upped into a show headliner, depending on his reception in DD season 2. But they've got to do a good enough job with him in however long he'll be on screen during just 13 episodes, and with all the other characters, new stories and stuff, they've really got to make him shine to justify a whole show. But that's easier to do in something like this than if he were to just have a cameo in a movie since there's more time for him in an entire multi-episode season than in a 2-hour film.

Makes me wonder if they're going to do a half-and-half arc like on Once Upon a Time where the first part of the season focuses on one threat, and then another in the second half. Maybe he meets the Punisher in the first half, takes down some organized crime, and then the second half he meets Elektra and has to deal with the Hand. Or they'll blend both throughout the season. I think that would be best, actually.

CaptainNexus616

I have faith in them blending this stuff since they were able to juggle so many subplots in the first season so well and resolve them fairly well by the end so that we wouldn't be questioning what happened afterwards (Other than the elephant in the room currently sitting in a cell) in case they didn't get green lit for season 2.

As for Tatum, more power to the guy. Do what makes you happy.

To my understanding after reading some pages about Jones it looks like we won't be seeing any major crossovers with Dardevil just yet before Defenders. They are trying to do this at an organic pace and while it will still be in New York and you may recognize a place from Daredevil you won't suddenly see Jones visiting Nelson v. Murdock for some random reason.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 29, 2015, 10:11:20 PM
I have faith in them blending this stuff since they were able to juggle so many subplots in the first season so well and resolve them fairly well by the end so that we wouldn't be questioning what happened afterwards (Other than the elephant in the room currently sitting in a cell) in case they didn't get green lit for season 2.

As for Tatum, more power to the guy. Do what makes you happy.

To my understanding after reading some pages about Jones it looks like we won't be seeing any major crossovers with Dardevil just yet before Defenders. They are trying to do this at an organic pace and while it will still be in New York and you may recognize a place from Daredevil you won't suddenly see Jones visiting Nelson v. Murdock for some random reason.

Well she is an investigator, not an attorney, and she deals in superhuman affairs, not standard off-the-street civilians. Vastly different worlds, at least in the early part of Daredevil before he made a real name for himself. But I think most of her crossover stuff is actually going to be Luke Cage, since he's going to be making lots of guest appearances on her show before he gets his own.

SapphireStar

Another DC animated movie has been announced. They are going to do The Killing Joke, and Mark Hamill has confirmed he is returning to do the voice of the Joker.

In the comics Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are married. There will be potential for lots of crossovers with both the shows.

J. R. Bourne from Teen Wolf has been added to Arrow as an upcoming character/villain.

CaptainNexus616

Its about time with the Killing Joke people have been wanting that since Arkham City came out. Mark Hamil is finally getting his wish to do it lol.

Mathim

They kind of already did that, with Batman Beyond where the Joker was killed, except instead of paralyzing Batgirl, he traumatized Robin. They should also do the one where Bane breaks Batman's back if they're going super dark; TDKR tried to do that but it didn't have the punch it needed.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd bring back, or do more with, Batman Beyond. Imagine if they had an alternate-universe Damien Wayne warp there, and try to claim the title of Batman from Terry McGinnis...things could get ugly.

SapphireStar

That would be interesting, especially since events of Justice League, when they did a Batman Beyond episode featuring Terry and Amanda Waller. Waller revealed that Terry was actually Bruce Wayne's son. Waller wanted to create another Batman. So she collected his DNA and genetically manipulated Warren McGinniss's DNA.

They also sort of did the Killing Joke in Birds of Prey. They showed Batgirl getting shot after returning home from crimefighting. If they eventually do Knight's End and Knightfall, wonder if No Man's Land will be far behind.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 30, 2015, 02:42:43 PM
That would be interesting, especially since events of Justice League, when they did a Batman Beyond episode featuring Terry and Amanda Waller. Waller revealed that Terry was actually Bruce Wayne's son. Waller wanted to create another Batman. So she collected his DNA and genetically manipulated Warren McGinniss's DNA.

They also sort of did the Killing Joke in Birds of Prey. They showed Batgirl getting shot after returning home from crimefighting. If they eventually do Knight's End and Knightfall, wonder if No Man's Land will be far behind.

That's why I said it, because they're both technically Bruce Wayne's sons. Even though that was kind of the plot of the Hush story arc. Still, I'd like to see it animated and with a splash of the Timmverse charm.

Anyone excited for Fantastic 4? I haven't watched any of the new trailers because the whole thing just bums me out but some of my friends are on the fence about it, so there might just be a reason I'm missing.

deadmanshand

Quote from: Mathim on July 30, 2015, 04:07:58 PM
Anyone excited for Fantastic 4? I haven't watched any of the new trailers because the whole thing just bums me out but some of my friends are on the fence about it, so there might just be a reason I'm missing.

Nope. All the released info and trailers have been terrible plus Fox has placed an embargo on reviews of the film till the day it comes out. That last part is a terrible sign. Almost universally when that is done it is because they have no faith in the product.

CaptainNexus616

Personally? I would like a Batman Beyond Arkham game! Imagine how freaking awesome that would be! While Rocksteady said Arkham Knight was the last one...I can still dream  ::)

Mathim

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 30, 2015, 04:21:01 PM
Nope. All the released info and trailers have been terrible plus Fox has placed an embargo on reviews of the film till the day it comes out. That last part is a terrible sign. Almost universally when that is done it is because they have no faith in the product.

That last bit surprised me, I wasn't happy about any of it before but this makes me think they're actually acknowledging themselves that it's a shoddy project. But it'll still make some money. The fans are the ones who are getting hurt.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Mathim on July 30, 2015, 06:40:40 PM
That last bit surprised me, I wasn't happy about any of it before but this makes me think they're actually acknowledging themselves that it's a shoddy project. But it'll still make some money. The fans are the ones who are getting hurt.

Long term it might be the best thing that could happen to the franchise though. If the movie is bad enough that it "flops" (let's be honest, it'll probably be profitable but perceived as a flop because it doesn't make $500+ million) it maybe inspires Fox to do a desperation deal like Sony with Spiderman that gave Marvel creative control over FF.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 31, 2015, 08:37:33 AM
Long term it might be the best thing that could happen to the franchise though. If the movie is bad enough that it "flops" (let's be honest, it'll probably be profitable but perceived as a flop because it doesn't make $500+ million) it maybe inspires Fox to do a desperation deal like Sony with Spiderman that gave Marvel creative control over FF.

I'd prefer they completely let go of the leash and instead of just letting Marvel pet it, hand it back over completely.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Mathim on July 31, 2015, 10:36:51 AM
I'd prefer they completely let go of the leash and instead of just letting Marvel pet it, hand it back over completely.

I don't at all mean any offense or to antagonize here, it's just this is the first thing I thought of when I read this and I laughed.

https://youtu.be/E_bx6B3dBMM?t=15s

This is not even slightly comic book related by the way, but anyone who hasn't seen it should check out Bad Santa.

CaptainNexus616

No one will part with those movie rights willingly. The Avengers proved their is golden potential if it is done right. Now that Fox and Sony whom have already had these rights for years will not sell them back unless it is their absolute last option.

Superheroes are the big moneymakers now and if you have the rights to make even one....you will get a nice bit of profit maybe not as much as you hope but you will make money.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 31, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
No one will part with those movie rights willingly. The Avengers proved their is golden potential if it is done right. Now that Fox and Sony whom have already had these rights for years will not sell them back unless it is their absolute last option.

Superheroes are the big moneymakers now and if you have the rights to make even one....you will get a nice bit of profit maybe not as much as you hope but you will make money.

Well they already learned the hard way what happens when you make a shitty one (Ghost Rider among other diminishing returns) so maybe they just need to have enough successive train wrecks to figure out that you can't just slap the license on something and make cash off a soulless bastardization.

Beorning

Hm. I had a dream last night that was somewhat related to this thread...

In my dream... Daredevil was cancelled.  :o  :o  :o