Forum-Based Civilization Sim

Started by OldSchoolGamer, July 13, 2008, 08:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

This is an unusual idea for this forum, but it's one that's been kicking around the inside of my skull for a good four or five months, aching to get out.  So I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in it.

The game would be a turn-based text version of Civilization 4 (with some changes, more options, and few if any graphics).  You would play the role of civilization leader, and start with a simple village, harvesting food, metal, wood, food, and other items.  You could invest in improvements for your village, and over time it would expand, accruing Culture, Civic, and Knowledge points which you could invest.  You would also need to build military units to guard against outside threats.

Over time, other civilizations would expand, and you would encounter them...trading resources and ideas...or arrows and sword-thrusts.

You could also found new villages, which would grow in time.  Random events would also happen.

The game would offer considerably more depth than Civ 4, though I'll admit straightaway I'm no visual artist and any graphics will be very basic and cheesy.

If you'd be interested in such a game, let me know, and I'll put some "meat" on the bones I've described here and run it for you.

gideonblake

This sounds really cool, sign me up!

JadeCore

Interesting though considering how long a regular version of Civ takes versus the high turnover rate of internet games, I'm wary of commitment. :) It would also depend on whether it's going to be more of a game or more of a RP-with-Civ-trappings, the latter exaggerating the amount of time commitment required for even a short game. That said, you may want to look into the board game version of Civ to get some ideas on how to translate it.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Sagittary on July 14, 2008, 07:54:18 PM
Interesting though considering how long a regular version of Civ takes versus the high turnover rate of internet games, I'm wary of commitment. :) It would also depend on whether it's going to be more of a game or more of a RP-with-Civ-trappings, the latter exaggerating the amount of time commitment required for even a short game. That said, you may want to look into the board game version of Civ to get some ideas on how to translate it.

The duration of the game would be open-ended, and it would pretty much be a go-at-your-own-pace sort of game.  There would be some role-playing involved.

Elayne

I'd be willing to write in something like this.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

LordAnubis

I've been a hardcore civ fan since the original.  Count me in.

OldSchoolGamer

Okay...there's enough interest in this for creation of the game and game world to commence.

I'll start writing up the rules and whatnot, and post them in this thread.

Steel

Sounds like a great idea I'd be very interested to play.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

OldSchoolGamer

Here are a few basics:

I'm going to set up three civilizations to pick from: Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and Eastern.  (I will likely take some liberties with historical accuracy here.)  The game economy will be a little more complex than Civ...rather than food, hammers and coins, there will probably be three or four different kinds of food, plus special resources.  There will also be an active pantheon, with special buildings for each god/goddess.  There will be a lot more improvements and buildings, both for cities and for squares.  Military units will be more customizable.

OldSchoolGamer

Inkidu

It seems too broad to be workable.  :P I like civ but I don't know how it will hold up.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nazora

Quote from: Inkedu on July 20, 2008, 02:41:32 PM
It seems too broad to be workable.  :P I like civ but I don't know how it will hold up.

I'm of the same mindset, and it will require players who are willing to sustain a prolonged commitment. I like the idea, I love the Civilization games, but I see this stalling after a few posts because you'll have players abandoning their civilizations. Not that this couldn't work, it would require commitment, which is in short supply here.

Also, you'll have to invest the most time and effort and see that everyone is playing by the rules. How will you simulate combat and keeping track of everyone's resources will get increasingly involved as the games goes on.

I hate to be such a downer because I love the idea, but is it workable?
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Status: Posting a bit slowly due to chaotic schedule, bear with me please.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nazora on July 20, 2008, 03:29:51 PM
I'm of the same mindset, and it will require players who are willing to sustain a prolonged commitment. I like the idea, I love the Civilization games, but I see this stalling after a few posts because you'll have players abandoning their civilizations. Not that this couldn't work, it would require commitment, which is in short supply here.

Also, you'll have to invest the most time and effort and see that everyone is playing by the rules. How will you simulate combat and keeping track of everyone's resources will get increasingly involved as the games goes on.

I hate to be such a downer because I love the idea, but is it workable?
Plus, Civ is about going throughout the ages. Ending in a voyage to wherever. This doesn't seem to have that. So it's more of an Age of Empires forum based role play.  :-X
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Elayne

Well, if we do play this, I'd love to play the Egyptians!
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Inkedu on July 20, 2008, 03:38:47 PM
Plus, Civ is about going throughout the ages. Ending in a voyage to wherever. This doesn't seem to have that. So it's more of an Age of Empires forum based role play.  :-X

Yeah, AoE might be as apt a comparison.

I don't know how it will work, but it'll be fun trying.

WyzardWhately

I find this idea tremendously compelling, as well, although I'm not too sure about the system...

...have you ever looked at Reign?  It might approximate what you're trying to do.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Xillen

Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid at this time I'd be stalling the game.