News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andol

Have fun with that my dude... never been one for the romance manga's myself. If only because when I go to read Manga... I do like to see a lot of action, fighting, and manly tears... XD

jacobsenia

Aha. I understand completely.
I think it’s because my love life has been such a train wreck, it’s nice to see happy endings and such for a bit. And I prefer reading it over watching because sometimes I need a moment to go “did this loser really say that? That was so cheesy I love-“

But nothing flows well with me when I read (idk why, p sure it’s an actual mental thing for me) so I watch my action. It’s easier for me to enjoy without getting confused, and easier for me to enjoy the story. Also I know if a character I like dies, I’m gonna need a few weeks to process it if I read it lol. I’m a mess.

Capone

Quote from: Azuresun on April 14, 2020, 03:12:25 PM
Just finished Konosuba, and I loved it.  :-) Apart from the comedy, I think the other thing is that the characters feel very real, for all that they're exaggerated parodies of fantasic character archetypes. They strike a balance where they're terrible enough people and fail often enough that they're funny, but don't take either so far that they just become hateful or annoying--I was able to both laugh when things went horribly wrong for them, and cheer when they actually managed to pull together and be effective fantasy heroes.

Next on the list is Gundam Unicorn or Demon Slayer. Maybe the Monogatari series if I can actually figure out which series I'm meant to watch first and where to find it.

For what it's worth, I found Gundam Unicorn decent enough, but the first episode of Demon Slayer didn't sell me. Then again, I'm pretty jaded when it comes to shounen anime at this point.

If you liked Konosuba, I'd recommend Overly Cautious Hero (or The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious), which is a simple one season show that gladly does not wear out its welcome and works as an excellent parody of Light Novel (and in some ways, gaming) expectations. I wish I could find good clips that aren't chopped up by uploaders to share, but here's one of the voice actress for this show's particular useless Goddess performing her role live.

You can find a second part (that is all the more impressive) over here. It's also got a pretty rockin' opening theme.

I actually still need to watch Konosuba myself. I wasn't sold on it with those first few episodes, but I've since seen some clips with later characters that have me thinking I should give it another try.

I saw some folks mentioning Log Horizon, which I'm glad to see getting a season three (though it may not conclude the books; evidently the Light Novel author went to jail for tax evasion for some time and only resumed writing a couple years ago, hence the series was never finished and has only started to continue). However, with the world in its current state, I'm pretty confident the original October date for it to air will be pushed back.

I don't suppose anyone around here has bothered with Hi Score Girl on Netflix? I absolutely adore the show but I don't see a lot of people discussing it.

KeirenReine

I have so much to catch up on O3O
I don't watch Anime as regularly as I had in a long time.
That being said, I am open to options if they are available for my Canadian Streaming services :3
Here is my Anime List:
Removed link to social media site.  No contact info in public areas. - Staff

Scarlettskull

I've been watching Fruits Basket recently. So excited that the new season is out! Lol.

I also went back to some older ones I enjoyed, Inuyasha and Digimon etc.

Haruki

Quote from: Scarlettskull on June 07, 2020, 01:33:43 PM
I've been watching Fruits Basket recently. So excited that the new season is out! Lol.

I also went back to some older ones I enjoyed, Inuyasha and Digimon etc.

Hopefully you are enjoying the second time around with Fruits Basket.

Inuyasha has a sequel / spin-off coming soon too, and Digimon has a whole new restart of its own, retelling the original series' story from the ground up.

I've had so much going on in my RL....I have serious catching-up to do in anime.  A shame my favorite of late 2018-early 2019, Reincarnated As a Slime got kicked back from a start this Fall to a Winter 2021 start.  I was so looking forward to my favorite chill lovable slime boi's continuing adventures in nation-building.  All I know at this point is that it supposedly gets a bit darker in tone.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Kakihara

I have never really been an anime person even though I grew up with Starblazers, which was an early Americanized Space Battleship Yamoto anime.  I didn't even discover it for many years that it was originally an anime as it was not a common thing in the early 80s.  My most exposure has been though my wife, who when I started dating and living together had been a big anime fan. 

So it is strange that suddenly I've this huge craving for anime, a friend gave me their Crunchyroll info and I got a Funimation sub to watch dub anime while I worked.  So far have discovered Cop Craft, Gosick and Goblin Slayer as ones I've really enjoyed.  I need to check out the reboot of Starblazers that was done a few years ago as well. 

Sasquatch421

I just finished the first season of "No Game, No Life" and have now just started "My Story."

Hatchet

I'm sure it's already been said but Beastars is amazing. I have all the manga volumes up to this point (I think 8 is coming out this month or next) and it was made so beautifully when they made the anime adaptation.

I've been really wanting to get into more medieval animes recently since they help me plan my worldbuild, but I can't seem to stomach Berserker, and I have to skip an episode or two out of Goblin Slayer. I really want to try and watch Vinland Saga, I heard it was great and haven't heard any bad things about it.

| Rainbow Writer ~ Lover of Eros ~ New Writer Friendly |

Tiaan

Quote from: Hatchet on September 23, 2020, 07:56:05 PM
I'm sure it's already been said but Beastars is amazing. I have all the manga volumes up to this point (I think 8 is coming out this month or next) and it was made so beautifully when they made the anime adaptation.

I've been really wanting to get into more medieval animes recently since they help me plan my worldbuild, but I can't seem to stomach Berserker, and I have to skip an episode or two out of Goblin Slayer. I really want to try and watch Vinland Saga, I heard it was great and haven't heard any bad things about it.

Vinland Saga is really good for medieval anime-style realism! As someone from the UK having to learn about the viking conquest in school, the mangaka really did his research! Dates, place names, famous battles, the various kingdoms of the Britons. There are even welsh people in it <3

One that doesn't have any graphic violence, if you haven't already seen it, is Spice and Wolf. It's a made up world but the medieval day-to-day is quite detailed.

As for me, I'm watching Attack on Titan, I don't remember ever seeing a series with such terrifying monsters o.o

Envious

I'm excited for the final fruits basket season. I read the manga, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember how it ends. It's not usually the type of anime I go for, but I really enjoy it.

Lux12

Finally finished watching Demon Slayer and holy hell... There's a number of things I could go on about. The way the main character shows such abundant compassion even for monsters others would gladly kill without a second thought, how it portrays what I call "evil as a tragedy", which is in a sense how I view all evil...But right now, all I can think about is how I've found many episodes of the show so utterly terrifying compared to many more straightforward horror works. Especially the big bad of the series....I can think of few more reprehensible and terrifying portrayals of an abusive superior.

Mirrah

Quote from: Tiaan on September 23, 2020, 08:14:08 PM
As for me, I'm watching Attack on Titan, I don't remember ever seeing a series with such terrifying monsters o.o

Titans made me scream in a game based on the anime. And though the style was cartoony, it was still terrifying.

Quote from: Envious on September 23, 2020, 11:18:13 PM
I'm excited for the final fruits basket season. I read the manga, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember how it ends. It's not usually the type of anime I go for, but I really enjoy it.

Ooo, is this the new one? I haven't watched any of it, but I watched some of the old one.

Quote from: Lux12 on January 08, 2021, 12:55:29 AM
Finally finished watching Demon Slayer and holy hell... There's a number of things I could go on about. The way the main character shows such abundant compassion even for monsters others would gladly kill without a second thought, how it portrays what I call "evil as a tragedy", which is in a sense how I view all evil...But right now, all I can think about is how I've found many episodes of the show so utterly terrifying compared to many more straightforward horror works. Especially the big bad of the series....I can think of few more reprehensible and terrifying portrayals of an abusive superior.

I'm currently watching this! It's been a while and I don't remember where I left off, so I'm starting back from the beginning. Thank you, Crunchyroll.

I'm enjoying it so far.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Sasquatch421

Let's see if I can remember my current watchings...

I nabbed both parts of Turn A Gundam and am almost finished with them, the Funimation Streaming app I subscribe to have FINALLY dropped the original Mobile Suit Gundam series and I'm currently working through that. I've also watched Star Blazers, the second season of One Punch Man, and BNA. I've also done rewatches of Mobile Suit Gundam Origins, Deadman Wonderland, Mysteria Friends and Metropolis.

New anime I'm working on is Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai and of course Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon as most things Rumiko Takahashi does gives me a stiffy.

Maethaneos

Do we like RWBY here or are we weaboos who refuse to accept that animation outside of Japan can be "anime".
Be still my son; you're home.
Oh when did you become so cold?
The blade will keep on descending. All you need is to feel my love.
Search for beauty, find your shore.
Try to save them all, bleed no more.
You have such ocean's within.
In the end I will always love you.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Maethaneos on January 13, 2021, 11:57:50 AM
Do we like RWBY here or are we weaboos who refuse to accept that animation outside of Japan can be "anime".

The same could be asked about Avatar: Last Airbender. In my opinion, anime is a term/genre meaning mostly Japanese animations mostly (in overall style/themes they do have). I would be okay to discuss the western cartoons/animations in here as well.

My end; just finished Record of Grancrest War, it's an interesting 24 episode fantasy anime series (not an isekai) where there are no dwarf/elves but has casters, swords, and plot overall resolve around the internal conflict between nations and warfare. It had some stumbles (like the main protagonist pair's romance felt forced/shoved in). But had plenty of good moments (and some funny ones, not much fanservice stuff).

Skynet

Quote from: Maethaneos on January 13, 2021, 11:57:50 AM

There's also the fact that even a lot of Japanese anime has had help from a lot of Korean animators, so few things in the biz are truly mono-national, thus diluting such purist views even further. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Skynet on January 13, 2021, 06:24:29 PM
There's also the fact that even a lot of Japanese anime has had help from a lot of Korean animators, so few things in the biz are truly mono-national, thus diluting such purist views even further. :P

Indeed true, as even anime would not be necessary (and unlikely) pure Japanese production. And some foreign animation studios 'copy' anime style for animations/animated shows likely.

Riodragon1989

Hi, I'm Rio! o/

Okay... All-time favorite anime:

• Akira
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • ToraDora
  • Your Lie in April
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
  • Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood
  • Slayers-Slayers Try
  • Soul Eater
  • Berserk (90's/Movies)
  • Cowboy Bebop

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 13, 2021, 06:30:23 PM
Indeed true, as even anime would not be necessary (and unlikely) pure Japanese production. And some foreign animation studios 'copy' anime style for animations/animated shows likely.

It's worth pointing out, also, that the anime movement was actually inspired by Western animation.  Osamu Tezuka, the Father of Manga, drew inspiration from Disney and one of his favorite characters was Betty Boop.  Masamune Shirow, creator of Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed, once noted that people criticized manga for its big eyes and small mouths, but that he didn't see much difference when he looked at (again) Disney characters.

Personally, I don't see anime as just a method of animation.  AtlA was brought up here, and I would personally cite it as an example of 'Western-drawn anime.'  (Specifically, the phraseology I use is 'Western art, Eastern storytelling.')  I practically distinguish between anime and cartoons in their use of storytelling elements; cartoons tend to be things like Looney Tunes, or stuff for the younger crowd - things with the same characters, certainly, but very little in continuity between them.  Anime relies on continuity in storytelling, ongoing plots that require the viewer to keep a running sense of what's been going on in their head.

This is by no means monolithic - it's a spectrum as far as I'm concerned.  Two of my more favorite shows growing up were the twin Batman cartoons (TAS and its successor, Beyond), and while it's lighter on the plot continuity elements, it's not wholly lacking in them, either.

Envious

QuoteOoo, is this the new one? I haven't watched any of it, but I watched some of the old one.

Yes! Crunchyroll has the first two seasons and I believe the final season comes out in April 2021.

I tried Burn the Witch, but it was pretty underwhelming.

Lux12

I don't want to be too negative but I started watching Kemono Jihen and while what I saw wasn't bad, I couldn't help but feel disappointed in one way. I felt as if there was a more interesting direction they could have gone with it. I mean it opens with what seems as if it could be a pretty lengthy and suspenseful supernatural horror/mystery and some pretty decent atmosphere... Then it veers off into a sort of typical urban fantasy/occult detective action deal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the less interesting route it could have taken. I honestly would have preferred it if the series chose to take it down the route of a series such as Ghost Hound, Higurashi, Another, or something as surreal as Paranoia Agent or the Boogiepop Phantom. It would have been more interesting if they chose to focus on a single, disturbing/strange mystery, being as cryptic as possible and slowly revealing clues...However, the series is only three episodes in and there could be something more interesting down the line, but what could have been kind of bothers me. Which of brings me to my next point.

I kind of feel as if anime these days is a bit too hyperactive, too fast paced. Being fast paced isn't always a bad thing, but I can't help but have this nagging feeling as if series are just rushing through plot points some times in order to get to the next big bombastic fight scene or something when they would do well to slow down and meditate on something, really let a sense of atmosphere or a feeling sink into the viewer. Granted, there has always been media with pacing issues, but it feels as if a number of older series from before 2008 knew how to just sit with a feeling or take their time and also knew when to dial back the bombast of their fight scenes a bit. I mean you can only set off so many fire works before all the bursts of color kind of blend into each other.

There's something else that I think I kind of miss from that older era though and it to ok me a while to try and come up with a proper term for it. It seems as if there was this odd sense of weird cynical new agey apocalypticism that somehow hit a certain emotional chord with me. I don't know exactly why.

Tribemaster49

Berserk (1997), is a great very serious anime that I would highly recommend to anyone who likes dark medieval fantasy. I would also recommend the manga as well, which is exceptionally well done. The 2016 anime on the other leaves much to be desired...

Lain

Okay so I figured you all would know the answer of this question...

Netflix is getting boring (seriously Camp Cretaceous is the most interesting thing on Netflix outside of Klaus Hargreaves)

Funimation yay or nay? Worth the money? As much as I like to watch Subs I am mostly watching TV as white noise... so I prefer Dubs right now.

My Heritage Is Rebellion.

Azuresun

Finished the first season of Gamers! It's a really fun romantic comedy, that strikes the right balance between making the characters stupid enough to be funny, but plausible enough to be likeable. Some real laugh-out-loud moments, and I appreciate the dedication put into turning the relationships between the five main characters into as much of a nightmarish, tangled mess as possible.