Computer battery life

Started by HockeyGod, October 21, 2011, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

My computer keeps flashing that the end of my computer battery's usable life is soon and should be replaced. Anyone have any experience with how long a battery should last?

jouzinka

Computer-battery? You mean laptop?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Izzie Aditi

Mine (Macbook Pro, almost 3 years old now...should have to look up battery specifics) did 500 cycles in a little over 1,5 years. Let's just say I use it, a LOT. I have heard it shouldn't go that fast though..
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Caeli

My 9-cell Lenovo battery lasted me for about 3 years before it started going. At the start, it could do a maximum of about six hours on one charge; at the end of its life, it maxed out around 2 hours if I was really careful, but could run out in less than an hour if I used the better graphics, had the screen brightness up, etc.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

jouzinka

As a rule of a thumb, a year into it's usage (and regardless whether you do use it or have the laptop plugged into electricity all the time) the battery loses 50% of its capacity.

Neroon

It depends on the type of battery. For exampe, Nickle-metal hydride batteries need to be completely discharged every now and then to prolong their lives and keepin them charged harms their performance. Whereas Lithium-ion and Lithium-polymer batteries' longevity is harmed by their being completely discharged and they last longer being kept fully topped up.  So depending on your type of battery and how you use it, you will get different ages efore it fails.

The quoted life expectancy for a Li-ion battery is 2-3 years of normal use, though the Li-ion battery on my iBook has lasted ten years of misuse.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

HockeyGod

So a follow-up question. Can you buy a non-brand name battery and it will have the same efficiency and lifespan as a brand name. I have a Dell and their replacement batteries are $150, but I found them on amazon for around $20.

jouzinka

Short answer: Yes, you can buy it, no, it likely won't.

Long answer: It *is* cheaper for a reason, alx. A wrong battery (or a faulty one) can just as well short-circuit the laptop. It might. Chances are it will serve you a year or two, but are you willing to risk it? It likely won't have the parts, nor the care the Dell one would, if it's not just a packaged rock-brick (which I would suspect for 20 bucks).

It's just like buying non-brand printing cartridges/laser casettes. Many function with it for a long time, but they seriously damage the printer, some leak, some flat out don't work at all, many don't have the right colors and if you turn the printer in for warranty repair and the mechanic realizes you were using non-original material, your warranty is void.

Anyway, as far as battery goes, I'd be really wary of anything that promises to save you more than a third of cost of the original one, but in doubt whether to buy a 100 USD or 150 USD battery, I'd much more readily reach out for the original.

HockeyGod

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I should buy that battery quickly. My laptop is my life!

Autumn Sativus

If you can spare the excess, most definitely stick to your brand name. Even if you warranty is void already, your manufacturer can outright refuse to touch a laptop that you've put improper parts into.

And as it was mentioned its much more likely to cause a short in your system or overload it. Hell, improper batteries in anything are known to cause fires. If you have the resources, play it safe. You get what you pay for, especially with electronics.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Vekseid

Personally, I've found battery life to become unusable after about two-three years.

Quote from: alxnjsh on October 22, 2011, 09:17:44 AM
So a follow-up question. Can you buy a non-brand name battery and it will have the same efficiency and lifespan as a brand name. I have a Dell and their replacement batteries are $150, but I found them on amazon for around $20.

You want to match part numbers and compatibility lists. I managed to get away with it (and getting a better battery to boot), but YMMV.