News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anthony Weiner Controversy - Perspective of Roleplayers

Started by Valthazar, July 25, 2013, 02:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

... Jay Leno must be having fun, too.  (For those who don't know, Jay's been doing this thing for years involving 'unfortunate' headlines or headline placement.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

This is just mud slinging.

To dig a little deeper, I think a lot of people are just uncomfortable talking about sex. Throwing him under the spotlight and pointing the finger at him for his sexual expression is kind of cowardly, if you ask me.

Sethala

From what I can tell, this should be a non-issue.  What he decides to do with his private life is generally none of our business.  I can see a few exceptions though: if he was using his position as part of his "online dating", for instance, and promising things that he can't do, then I'd have an issue with it.  Same if it was something illegal, or without consent of his partners.  Without knowing more about that however, it's pretty much impossible to say.  (And I'm willing to bet that the people "coming forward" about it are perfectly fine with lying about everything to look good, so they're hardly a reliable source.)

I would also take serious offense if he were taking a position that directly conflicts with his activities - someone mentioned if he was one of the people pushing for "defense of marriage" crap.  If he was doing that and also going around with all of this, I'd definitely speak out against him.  The CNN article linked by Valthazar only confuses me though, since as far as I can tell there's no real problem or disconnect between his political stance and his private life.

Callie Del Noire

The only thing I see that he did was he showed he had human needs and actions. The media loves leaders with 'feet of clay'. A lot of talented men and women who could do a LOT of good but were judged soley on their social foibles.

An example.. I say Gary Hart..what do you recall? His affair with Jennifer Flowers. Not the fact that he was on the Hart–Rudman Commission, which offered a LOT of security decisions that could have done a lot to security measures if they had been implemented prior to 9/11. He's a very knowledgeable man in the intelligence and military issues. He'd be a great Director of National Defense, Secretary of Defense or State. But he'll never be nominated.

And he is only one of dozens of men and women in like situations.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 01, 2013, 01:28:51 PM
An example.. I say Gary Hart..what do you recall? His affair with Jennifer Flowers.

Actually, I recall Gary Hart's affair with Donna Rice, not Gennifer Flowers. Gennifer was Bill Clinton's alleged paramour. But your point is correct. 
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on August 01, 2013, 01:43:41 PM
Actually, I recall Gary Hart's affair with Donna Rice, not Gennifer Flowers. Gennifer was Bill Clinton's alleged paramour. But your point is correct.

Thank you Torch. I always get those two women crosswired for some reason.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 02, 2013, 11:56:52 AM
Thank you Torch. I always get those two women crosswired for some reason.

They do all seem to blend together after a while. :-)

Your point about Hart is a good one, though. I know he's become a very well respected security consultant since leaving the Senate. But all anyone remembers about him is that photo on the yacht with Ms. Rice on his lap.  ::)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on August 02, 2013, 12:05:51 PM
They do all seem to blend together after a while. :-)

Your point about Hart is a good one, though. I know he's become a very well respected security consultant since leaving the Senate. But all anyone remembers about him is that photo on the yacht with Ms. Rice on his lap.  ::)

He's a smart man. I think he'd be a good choice.. but the whole 'feet of clay' crap won't let go. I think it is funny that you can be a 'marriage is sacred' tool like Newt Gingrich, who actually pushed for divorce while she was in the hospital being treated for cancer, while folks like Hart are irrevocably stained by one affair.

It's annoying and irksome. Some men simply slide thru while others get hammered, even decades after. I guess being a lying facetious hypocrite is required over honestly admitting you did something. Whereas you can be a multi-affair, bed hopping tool with a history of bad mouthing/trashing your wives when you trade them in and expect them to crawl into a hole and vanish when you trade them in for the next model down.

My understanding is that Gary Hart is still married to Lee Hart, the wife he cheated on back in the day. So, clearly he learned from his mistakes.  I've read some of his articles on the political situation overseas and he's always struck me as smarter than the idiots (on both sides) we have running for the White House today.

He strikes me as about as sharp and savvy as men like John Huntsman.

Shame that neither will never make it into the white house where they can do good.

Back to the person the OP is dealing with.. Anthony Weiner seems to have.. well some impulse control issues but has learned to handle them, as far as I can see he's never abused his political position/office in these encounters and the only person that was really hurt by them would be mostly himself and his spouse. He was abrasive, running through three chiefs of staff in 18 months, and ran his people hard. He had a mixed record but not too bad or good overall.

I think what keeps them media coming back is his name. Cause..damn.. it practically draws your eye when you see it.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 02, 2013, 01:29:33 PM
My understanding is that Gary Hart is still married to Lee Hart, the wife he cheated on back in the day. So, clearly he learned from his mistakes.  I've read some of his articles on the political situation overseas and he's always struck me as smarter than the idiots (on both sides) we have running for the White House today.

He strikes me as about as sharp and savvy as men like John Huntsman.

Shame that neither will never make it into the white house where they can do good.

I wouldn't count Hart out on the 'doing some good' count just yet.  He started this in 2007, and is still quite outspoken.

I think what keeps them media coming back is his name. Cause..damn.. it practically draws your eye when you see it.

Yeah... Some names just make the satirist's job too easy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wicked Vixen

Quote from: Oniya on July 26, 2013, 03:56:06 PM
Quoted for truth.   

It could have been worse, though.  He could have been this guy.

LOL omg how the heck did you find this!?!?!?!?!?
The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Torch on August 01, 2013, 01:43:41 PM

Imagine the amount of mudslinging that would occur if Hillary Clinton were now found - or alleged - to have been involved with someone other than Bill for a while during her senate years. *sighs*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: Wicked Vixen on August 21, 2013, 03:18:19 AM

LOL omg how the heck did you find this!?!?!?!?!?

Probably a link off to the side of some other weird crime story.  Stumbled across it recently enough to remember it when it was pithy.  Secret of my success. ^__^