What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 18, 2018, 05:27:34 PM
I don't wan to be that person, but I feel like you focus way too much on Israel.

Is the deal actually just giving them money btw, or is it one of those deals where its actually a great deal of give and take from both sides and the 38 Billion is more of what both sides might get out of it?

I wasn't focusing on Israel, I merely responded to the previous post that mentioned Israel as an example of moneys being distributed to a country over 10 years. I have no idea what we get from Israel for the money, perhaps intelligence. But basically that money is a subsidy for our defense industries and allows Israel to continue its illegal occupation and control, of the West Bank and Gaza. I also would not give money to Egypt, Pakistan and a host of others, except perhaps humanitarian aid if needed.

Again, my point of all this was that the United States spends too much money on wars and misadventures, particularly in the middle east. We are talking about Trillions since 9/11. Invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria, when in fact Saudi Arabians were the hijackers.

Quote from: Regina Minx on April 18, 2018, 05:56:37 PM
Same as it was when we began this exchange. You’re talking about a miniscule fraction of the budget. If the deficit is a concern of yours, this is just chump change.

As I said before, we have been talking about two different things. You foreign aid, me the cumulative costs of war. It is nearly 5 trillions dollars over the last 15 years and still climbing from cumulative costs. See the chart.  Something like $330 billion per year. Not a minuscule fraction of the budget. We are done.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Lustful Bride

Quote from: elone on April 19, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
I wasn't focusing on Israel, I merely responded to the previous post that mentioned Israel as an example of moneys being distributed to a country over 10 years. I have no idea what we get from Israel for the money, perhaps intelligence. But basically that money is a subsidy for our defense industries and allows Israel to continue its illegal occupation and control, of the West Bank and Gaza. I also would not give money to Egypt, Pakistan and a host of others, except perhaps humanitarian aid if needed.

Again, my point of all this was that the United States spends too much money on wars and misadventures, particularly in the middle east. We are talking about Trillions since 9/11. Invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria, when in fact Saudi Arabians were the hijackers.

As I said before, we have been talking about two different things. You foreign aid, me the cumulative costs of war. It is nearly 5 trillions dollars over the last 15 years and still climbing from cumulative costs. See the chart.  Something like $330 billion per year. Not a minuscule fraction of the budget. We are done.

Well alright.

In other news: Story of an IS bride who wants to come home after years of abuse from her 'husband'.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/beaten-tortured-sexually-abused-an-american-isis-widow-looks-for-a-way-home/ar-AAw2U1I?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

I feel bad for her, but can someone like this be trusted to return and not be a sleeper agent? I know she was afraid for her children and indoctrinated, and beaten, and raped, but the burden of trust is on her now.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: elone on April 19, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
As I said before, we have been talking about two different things. You foreign aid, me the cumulative costs of war.

Wasn't your opening post on the topic "Cut all that aid to the middle east, Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, arms sales and the rest." ? Seems like that might have been confusing if you fact meant "Stop wars".

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 19, 2018, 07:59:12 AM
Well alright.

In other news: Story of an IS bride who wants to come home after years of abuse from her 'husband'.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/beaten-tortured-sexually-abused-an-american-isis-widow-looks-for-a-way-home/ar-AAw2U1I?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

I feel bad for her, but can someone like this be trusted to return and not be a sleeper agent? I know she was afraid for her children and indoctrinated, and beaten, and raped, but the burden of trust is on her now.

I read about her too, it's really tricky, especially with the dodgy justice and storm of vengeance now sweeping across Syria and Iraq. She could very easily have been one of those women Beguile posted a link about, who had a couple of minutes in court to try to defend themselves from getting hanged, still swathed in their veils. Essentially on trial just for having lived with their men in IS territory.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 19, 2018, 05:05:34 AM
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/04/taxpayer_dollars_cant_be_used_to_fix_churches_nj_s.html

Victory! And something I can be proud of NJ for. Dammit, with last years trans protection that Christie pushed through there are now things I like about this state ^^

Good to see Christianity being treated fairly by the law, rather than getting special treatment they often receive. That said, what are churches meant to do? If this ruling holds they cannot receive government money to be repaired as long as they are used as a lace of worship, and I'm not going to pretend Christianity isn't an important part of western culture and heritage. I don't want to lose churches, and I'm not convinced the private sector could reliable maintain them. What are they meant to do? Refuse worshippers entrance and become purely historical sites to become eligible for government grants?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on April 19, 2018, 08:20:23 AM
  Good to see Christianity being treated fairly by the law, rather than getting special treatment they often receive. That said, what are churches meant to do? If this ruling holds they cannot receive government money to be repaired as long as they are used as a lace of worship, and I'm not going to pretend Christianity isn't an important part of western culture and heritage. I don't want to lose churches, and I'm not convinced the private sector could reliable maintain them. What are they meant to do? Refuse worshippers entrance and become purely historical sites to become eligible for government grants?

I am on the fence about this. A lot of smaller churches are an important part of communities, providing support and aid (especially recovering drug addicts or those who need a place to stay from abusive families), as well as keeping people away from those mega churches that are just out for money and influencing others based on which politician is signing them a big check.

But at the same time, there should be some separation from church and state. The Federal government has to be secular and cant grant favors to any religion beyond "I will protect you if someone tries to infringe on your right to worship/ if someone tries to commit a hate crime on you."

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Shores

Jacinda Ardern wears Kahu huruhuru to Buckingham Palace

Wow. That is such a graceful maternity wear.

gaggedLouise

Queen Elizabeth helps settle a final, long-buried bone of contention at a Commonwealth Conference in London: upon her death, Prince Charles (as King Charles III) will succeed her as Head of the British Commonwealth. The matter has been lurking for many years, since unlike "King/Queen of the UK", the HoC title is not in itself a hereditary one and it was not done and dusted that the next British monarch would also be the Commonwealth Head. It's not a very old title either; essentially the Commonwealth has taken shape after Elizabeth ascended the throne, and post the Empire.

There was some unease that this would have to be settled in the busy days after the Queen has died, when a myriad of presidents, prime ministers and diplomats will descend on London. By getting the other member countries to agree, she has no doubt removed a major headache within the royal family. Charles was always expected to be the next in line, but it wasn't fixed  before, not even that it would be a member of the British royal family.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-chogm-queen/leaders-approve-prince-charles-to-succeed-queen-as-commonwealth-head-sky-news-idUSKBN1HR1OX

In a more juicy piece of news, James Comey claims that Trump told him that Vladimir Putin had boasted to him (Trump) that Russia has some of the best looking tarts in the world.  O:) It's unclear just where and when this may have been said - at the meeting between the two presidents in Hamburg last summer or some other occasion?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/04/20/when-did-trump-and-putin-talk-about-hookers/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0e3da994c69e

Fidel Castro once claimed/joked, on camera, that Cuba had the best educated hookers in the world (this is in Oliver Stone's documentary about him, Commandante).  :P

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I thought President Trump, he wanted Making America Great Again. How come then, he enjoys company, of Russian hookers, best?   ;)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: The Lovely Tsarina on April 20, 2018, 10:06:51 AM
I thought President Trump, he wanted Making America Great Again. How come then, he enjoys company, of Russian hookers, best?   ;)

Well, you heard Putin's explanation. Also, I suspect he likes the idea of having a Russian woman on her knees in front of him and giving head.  :-X

gaggedLouise

He in the last post= Trump, of course. :)

Sara Nilsson

Probably thinks Russian hookers are better because they eat due to poverty and not so much junk food, so they are more used to having small portions.. if you know what I mean.

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Sara Nilsson

Was tongue in cheek, i didn't mean any insult.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 20, 2018, 10:28:53 AM
Was tongue in cheek, i didn't mean any insult.

I think the joke was at the expense of the size of Trump's member, right? :P

TheGlyphstone

Didn't you hear? He's had no complaints in that department, none at all.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 20, 2018, 10:12:47 AM
Well, you heard Putin's explanation. Also, I suspect he likes the idea of having a Russian woman on her knees in front of him and giving head.  :-X

That's not what I heard he was into...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Lustful Bride

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 20, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/producer-dj-known-avicii-found-dead-173115938.html

Swedish-born DJ Avicii died today. He was 28.

Aww, that's too bad.  :-( I'd missed the nine o'clock tv news so I had no idea. My condolences, and he's the third music icon this country loses within a month, after legendary rock'n'roller Jerry Williams (born Eric Fernström) and jazz/musical/pop veteran Lill-Babs.

Sara Nilsson

WHA? Williams passed away?! I missed that. Man that sucks. :(