The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote“If this election is about how we’re going to fight to get nothing done,” Mr. Bush said, then “I don’t want any part of it. I don’t want to be elected president to sit around and see gridlock just become so dominant that people literally are in decline in their lives. That is not my motivation.”

He added, “I’ve got a lot of really cool things I could do other than sit around, being miserable, listening to people demonize me and me feeling compelled to demonize them. That is a joke. Elect Trump if you want that.”

Funny - isn't that what our current POTUS has put up with for 8 years?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

No matter what part of the quote we highlight, I think if he's serious about any of it he's in the wrong party.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 25, 2015, 02:26:25 PM
No matter what part of the quote we highlight, I think if he's serious about any of it he's in the wrong party.

Bush going Democrat.  Wouldn't that cause the FOX network to have a collective head-explosion.  (Not a question, and definitely popcorn-worthy in my imagination.  I'd even start tuning in just to watch the fallout.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cycle

Now there's an image.  Clinton Prez/Bush Veep.  XD

Well, 3.0's lie about "being his own man" has completely fallen apart.  His campaign's at critical status.  It's do or die time.  What does he do?  He scrambles home to hide behind daddy and big brother.

There ya go.  Let 1.0 and 2.0 save you.

Now, what does that tell the nation about you'd handle a crisis should you actually sit in the Oval Office?  Twelve years of Bushes is enough.  We don't need four more!

Oniya

Quote from: Cycle on October 25, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
Now, what does that tell the nation about you'd handle a crisis should you actually sit in the Oval Office?  Twelve years of Bushes is enough.  We don't need four more!

That is actually what I was trying to get at.  Being POTUS is not all kissing hands and whatever.  Even if our President has the full support of the citizenry and the Legislature, there's still the matter of the rest of the world - and there are people who are going to demonize the POTUS simply because it's the POTUS.  And there are people who will block attempts to get things done - if not here at home, then on the world stage.

Zillah

If your attitude is "if you won't play nice, I'm going to take my ball and go home", you probably shouldn't be running in the first place.

Oniya

Asked who his favorite Marvel hero is.

Answers with a DC character.

Then continues on to describe another DC character as 'hot'.

Sounds legit.

Cycle

The superhero question was a softball.  He could have done so much with it.  Superman, what does he stand for?  Honor, discipline, self-sacrifice, knowing the difference between right and wrong.  Spiderman, responsibility, humanity.  Batman, perseverance, determination, the apex of what a normal human can achieve. 

He wants Supergirl because she's sexually attractive.

Nice.

Very Presidential.

You make a good role model, 3.0.  All the boys should follow your example and value women for being sex objects.

Blythe

Cassandra LeMay

Ben Carson wants Roe vs. Wade overturned, with no exceptions in cases of rape or incest.

What surprised me a little is at around 7:45 into the interview, Carson pretty much says the way to change Roe vs. Wade would be through the appointment of judges who share his attitude (not his precise words, but that's what it seems to boil down to). Now, I am aware that the appointment of Supreme Court judges is pretty much a political thing, that no president would appoint someone who isn't at least a little sympathetic to their party's program. But don't American politicians at least pretend that the judiciary should be independent? Or is Carson an exception?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

I don't know about the politicians, but the possibility of SCOTUS appointments is a hot topic this coming election among the groups I've been associating with.  It's fairly certain that the next President will have the opportunity to appoint at least one, if not more of the current crowd, and with the relatively close balance on the panel, one jurist could set the tone for the next decade.

Mikem

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 04:47:28 PM

Sounds legit.

Well to be honest I've seen those commercials too, and the Actress is in a mid thigh length skirt and a skin tight top that shows some of her midriff. Not to mention the Actress herself is a cut above average.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 04:47:28 PM

Sounds legit.

Quote from: Mikem on October 26, 2015, 05:23:19 AM
Well to be honest I've seen those commercials too, and the Actress is in a mid thigh length skirt and a skin tight top that shows some of her midriff. Not to mention the Actress herself is a cut above average.

'Mr Candidate, what is your favorite vegetable?'
'Hm, I'm kind of traditional - I like cake.'
*pause*
'Of course, ice cream is pretty awesome, too.  Especially when you've got some blonde eyeing you as she licks the cone.'

It's not like there haven't been a good dozen examples of Marvel characters for him to have chosen from - and identified as Marvel.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on October 26, 2015, 09:47:36 AM
'Mr Candidate, what is your favorite vegetable?'
'Hm, I'm kind of traditional - I like cake.'
*pause*
'Of course, ice cream is pretty awesome, too.  Especially when you've got some blonde eyeing you as she licks the cone.'

It's not like there haven't been a good dozen examples of Marvel characters for him to have chosen from - and identified as Marvel.

He's not exactly marketing himself towards the 'young, hip generation', but I doubt he's trying to either. Most of his prospective voters wouldn't know the difference between Marvel and DC, so he doesn't need to.

Oniya

See, this is a common mistake among candidates.  It is a significant demographic.  The population pyramid from 2010 shows a bulge between 15 and 24 that rivals (if not tops) the bulge at 45 to 54.  All of those people are now eligible to vote, five years later.

Mr. Oniya and I are seeing a major uptick in 'political awareness' among this younger crowd.  People that showed zero or even 'negative' interest in politics (the 'I don't vote and neither should anyone else' crowd) are talking about primaries. 

TheGlyphstone

Though younger voters are also apparently much more likely to vote Democratic, if the studies I looked at were accurate. Whether this counts as a self-fulfilling prophecy or not is debatable.

Cycle

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 26, 2015, 09:51:27 AM
He's not exactly marketing himself towards the 'young, hip generation', but I doubt he's trying to either.

Seems like 3.0 is trying to market himself to the big money handful and that's it.  When he talks to a non-billionaire, it is with disdain and arrogance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PDXSel_qD64

He forgets that it takes votes--not just money--to win the White House.

Oniya

In general, if you alienate a demographic because 'they won't vote for you anyway', then - surprise surprise - they don't vote for you.

Alienate them enough, and they might even vote against you!  :o

ThePrince

Quote from: Oniya on October 26, 2015, 10:36:23 AM
See, this is a common mistake among candidates.  It is a significant demographic.  The population pyramid from 2010 shows a bulge between 15 and 24 that rivals (if not tops) the bulge at 45 to 54.  All of those people are now eligible to vote, five years later.

Mr. Oniya and I are seeing a major uptick in 'political awareness' among this younger crowd.  People that showed zero or even 'negative' interest in politics (the 'I don't vote and neither should anyone else' crowd) are talking about primaries.

We have been watching the southern strategy fall apart for about 10 years and it's incredible interesting to watch and good for our country. The Republican Party just can't seem to evolve past that, even when the data as to why they are not winning is very clear.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Oniya

'Ned Flanders wandering onto the set of Breaking Bad.'

(Although I got a bigger laugh when I read the author's mini-bio.)

Cycle

I sincerely hope 3.0 doesn't start trying to sell his own Supergirl fanfic.  *shivers*

Oniya

I think the Marvel DC lawyers would have something to say about that - if he was trying to get paid for it.

Cycle

So in more serious news, 3.0's rolled out his brilliant plan to save Social Security.

It basically boils down to three things.  First, he wants old people to keep working.  No retirement for you!  Slackers! 

Second, he wants everyone to save enough to take care of themselves.  Never mind that he refuses to raise wages or support equal pay for women.  Save, darnit.  I order you to do so!  The numbers are irrelevant!  How dare you defy your king!

Third, he wants everyone to dump their hard earned savings into the stock market.  Cause, you know, the Bush royal family's done wonders for everyone who invested their life savings in the stock market.  Sssssh.  No, the 2008 crash never happened.  Stop asking about that.  Blah blah blah.