Log Horizon: Living in the Database (RECRUITING)

Started by Sabre, March 29, 2014, 07:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabre

"I see, eh, alternate world... an alternate world has sucked us in, fantasy has become reality..."

For years thousands adventured in the popular MMORPG Elder Tales.  With servers across many countries recreating Earth in 1/2 scale, the game created a fantasy world built on the ruins of ours where NPCs, known as the People of the Land, have been reduced in numbers and technology in battle against endless armies of monsters and demi-beasts.  Pushed to the brink of extermination, they look to us, Adventurers, to take on quests and save their world.  Over the years the game has seen numerous expansions that continuously enrich the setting, raise the level cap, and add quests breathing life again and again into Elder Tales.  With the release of its latest expansion, the Novasphere Pioneers, long-time veterans and a generation of new blood start up their computers for just another day of adventure.

Instead they reawaken in the guise and gear of their avatars, standing in the world of Elder Tales brought to life.  No longer a game, but reality itself.  The last thing they remember is sitting in front of their computer logging into the game.

"Right, no expectations for now. So going by the fantasy novel settings, we need to survive by our own from now on?"

Those who are familiar with the series need little introduction, but for everyone else Log Horizon is a light novel and anime series by Mamare Touno, author of another fantasy series Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.  It's premise is about a group of Japanese MMO players who find themselves spirited away to a new world very much like the Elder Tales setting, but also very much unlike it.  Their bodies are as powerful as they were in the game, but walking around in them is nothing like pointing and clicking around a screen.  They can see their game HUD and interact with their menus, but the world is far too real to be mere virtual reality.  In short, it's not a game, it's reality.

These players set out to both learn how to survive in their new world and figure out a way back to the old one.

This thread is an interest check for any Elliquiy poster who would love an adventure.  Whether you're a fan of the series already or are simply intrigued by the premise, then post here and let us know!  We've got a lot to talk about and plan, but together we'll bring this world to life right here.  I'm willing to be GM for this group game, but I welcome co-GMs of all kinds, even temporary ones willing to run a single quest, rotating with other players.

As we further the discussion I'll edit the second post in this thread to include important details and rules.  For now we can discuss the basics - for instance just how rule/system heavy would we like to play?  And around what level should every character be?  The nature of the RP and the game changes for level 90 players as opposed to levels 1-20.  We might each play two characters of different levels to enjoy both, or decide on just one level range.

Let us know what you think, and what you'd like to see!

Sabre

Sabre

Those are definite options if we run this with a system.  Log Horizon however is a series that is less focused on combat and challenging skill checks and more about exploration and application of MMO abilities in unique ways.  Depending on the direction we take this we may not require a system at all, but it can prove useful for straight dungeon crawling or PvP scenes.

TheHangedOne

I'm not a fan of anime in general, as while I find the stories themselves fascinating, I just generally don't like the media itself (I don't watch much tv or movies, either; I prefer reading), however, I'd love to get in on this. The whole 'stuck in a game' premise has always appealed to me.

If you wanted to, Sabre, I could come up with a simple dice roll ruleset for combat situations.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Sabre

I'm reading through a few systems, but I'd love to hear any and all ideas you have for dice rolling.  Accessibility and speed should be important I think.

TheHangedOne

Just a simple, one size fits all D20 system I've used before. Roll 1d20, the roll determines your success or failure.

20 = critical hit. Enemy gets killed/gravely injured.
15-19 = hit! Enemy takes damage.
10-14 = Scratched. Enemy takes a little damage.
5-9 = Slight failure. Enemy blocks, parries, or dodges.
2-4 = Failure. The enemy not only is uninjured, but the failure results in over-extension or otherwise making the failer easier to hit.
1 = critical failure. Failer is disarmed, dazed, injured, has fallen prone, or has otherwise had a serious setback in the fight.

You could add bonuses and penalties as you wish, or otherwise fluff it out however you want. That's just what I've used, feel free to do whatever you want with it.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

pendarious

heh well I'm in regardless of whether or not we use a system for this. though with the way that Log Horizon itself actually works I honestly don't think a system is needed though if it is voted by the majority *shrugs*
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Izaya Orihara

I'm interested, since I thought Log Horizon was pretty good.
Though I dislike using a dice system, and tend to stick away from RPs with such things involved. Since I feel it restricts the flow of an RP, and I prefer to have something that's a bit more freeing.
On another note, I've played a bit of Everquest II, which is what Log Horizon seems to have been based off, with the character classes, sub-classes, abilities and the like.

I might not be able to discuss much for the next few days, though, since I'll be in Italy beginning in a few hours.
Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

Latooni Subota

For this, I would suggest against dice-rolly bits. Leave it to common sense, description, and working things out ahead of time/GM Intervention if stuff can't be worked out. It shouldn't be too troublesome unless it gets REALLY PVP HEAVY. On the plus side though, I'm totally interested. It's no Royal Road, but it'll do in a pinch! :P

I got an old crafter-type mmo-world character that could be dusted off, among other things. SO MANY IDEAS!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

pendarious

Quote from: Izaya Orihara on March 29, 2014, 07:35:39 PM
I'm interested, since I thought Log Horizon was pretty good.
Though I dislike using a dice system, and tend to stick away from RPs with such things involved. Since I feel it restricts the flow of an RP, and I prefer to have something that's a bit more freeing.
On another note, I've played a bit of Everquest II, which is what Log Horizon seems to have been based off, with the character classes, sub-classes, abilities and the like.

I might not be able to discuss much for the next few days, though, since I'll be in Italy beginning in a few hours.

actually Theldesia the world in which the game Elder Tales takes place is based off of the Elder Scrolls Franchise and A Bards Tale but honestly a lot of RPG's are fairly similar so it's understandable that one would think of a game they've played while looking at it.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

KnightNelson20

Please count me in! I as well am not one with dice games really. I agree with Latooni's comment. (By the way love that name XD) As for level I would say if we are forming a guild of our own then we should open up the range. Of course we will have some lvl 90's as the higher up and leaders. But we could also have a few lower levels just to have around. But this would also depend on the nature or purpose of our guild. If we are a guild thats going to be focused on raiding or such like that then i would recommend our players all being of high level and avoiding low level players. But if we are just seeking to make a fun shifting rp Id go with the later. It leaves more room for fun.

Sabre

So far it seems the majority are in favor of a free-form game without system restrictions.  I don't think this would be a problem as long as we're all on the honor system.  As death isn't permanent, I think it's alright.

The next question should definitely ask about the nature and structure of the game.  A free and open setting, some overall plot?  Is everyone part of the same guild, and what goal does everyone want to see themselves working towards?

Quote from: pendarious on March 29, 2014, 08:31:05 PM
actually Theldesia the world in which the game Elder Tales takes place is based off of the Elder Scrolls Franchise and A Bards Tale but honestly a lot of RPG's are fairly similar so it's understandable that one would think of a game they've played while looking at it.

The author mentions in an interview that he was inspired by Everquest, Ultima Online, and Diablo, along with D&D having played since Red Box.  Any old experiences in these games can make for excellent material for the RP.

pendarious

I'll admit I'd forgotten about that interview *laughs*

I'd be cool with having at least one character in the same guild as everyone and if we are all running at least two characters then my second character would be a free lance solo player.

KnightNelson20

Quote from: pendarious on March 31, 2014, 01:14:25 AM

I'd be cool with having at least one character in the same guild as everyone and if we are all running at least two characters then my second character would be a free lance solo player.

Agreed!

Sabre

That's not a bad idea, having two characters with one in a guild and the other a free agent (or part of a different guild of other players or NPCs).

The free character can interact with the main guild or form ad hoc parties with other player characters.  What kind of guild would work best as a plot focus?  A general purpose support guild?  A raiding guild?  Or maybe a crafting guild focused on a particular speciality?

Vanetias

Latooni Subota

Considering everything, an exploration guild would be best. If everyone is trapped in the game world, maybe there's a way OUT of the game world hidden in the game? Like defeating a special boss, or finding a special item that gives you a log-out option, or something? That'd give the group a lot of options plot-wise, like following up on rumors and stuff. I would be extremely tempted to make a blacksmithy-type character for this, though.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

KnightNelson20

I am stuck between creating a Guardian class with a swordsmith subclass. Or a Summoner with a Vampire Hunter subclass. Both lvl 90 of course.

pendarious

well having smiths in the guild would be good even if it isn't a production guild.

I like the idea of a Raid Guild gone Exploration or something like that.

for characters I've already decided on what one will be and I'm still debating the other...

Sabre

A balanced party without too many overlapping specialties would be nice, though having some synergy can be good, too.

What else is everyone considering for their class and subclass?

Vanetias

An actual engineer class, that makes gunpoweder weapons and/or steam/clockpunk mecha/robot.

pendarious

while it's true that they have made steam ships and such like that there is no "engineer" class or subclass and Gunpowder is non-existant as far as I know

here is the wiki links for the 8 playable races, 12 playable classes, and list of currently known sub classes:

http://log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Races

http://log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Classes

http://log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Subclasses

Vanetias

Well, why not make a steam-powered mount/armour from the Mechanic subclass. That may work.

pendarious

it might......though its power pack would be huge and would have to pay a summoner to work with you until you figured out how to run a steam engine without the magic of a salamander summon....though you could just be a summoner yourself

Vanetias

Maybe take it a little further and build actual electronic robots(If an electric elemntal/creature is aviable) or adding to the steam mech thing, a flamethrower from a salamander.