News:

Main Menu

Psychonauts Review

Started by Sabby, January 09, 2008, 03:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

It took ages in development, and when it finally came out, it got great scores in the range of 8 or 9 out of 10. Sadly, it didn't sell too well, and it is very hard to find where I live. The other day, I was very lucky to find a pre owned copy at the bottom of and EB Games bin. Gotta say, very impressed :)

Psychonauts are secret agents and psychics. The kids that show abilities are sent to Whispering Rock, a summer camp where they learn to become Psychonauts. You play as Rasputin, or Raz, and you've run away from your family of traveling circus performers (yes, you ran away FROM the circus) you came here to be a Psychonaut, but your father hates Psychics and is going to come and get you.

This gives you a few days to learn and try to become a Psychonaut before your taken away, but naturally, things happen, and an amusing plot unrolls. Its pretty good, and for some, you may just find the story line is interesting and want to here the ending. I'm one of those.

Its not very difficult, but the fun isn't in the game play or challenge. You have your standard platforming action, rope swinging, jumping, sliding, but the enjoyment of Psychonauts comes from the insane game world. The character designs and levels are like a twisted children's book by Tim Burton, but without the dark feeling over everything.

Theres plenty of well acted dialog, and the characters aren't the filler dribble from platforming mainstream. They're actually interesting, and a lot of the scenes involving dialog and acting don't have anything to do with the current situation. Its amazing how much polish was put into this, and how many scenes were acted out just for a laugh or furthering a characters development. All these scenes, whether come by or not, will not affect or aide the game in any way, but its moments like these that show the games creators had a vision beyond a linear apple collector.

Plenty of variety, with each level being something new. Gravity warping like that of Prey, some absurd puzzles, and generally fun platforming. Each mind you enter will be a laugh and this game is just entertaining through the whole thing.

One of the funniest games I've had the pleasure of playing, period. Its the game Conker on the N64 wanted to be, if it weren't aiming for adult oriented, hit or miss toilet humor. Witty, ingenious, and just fun. I really recommend it.

kongming

Another review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1368-Zero-Punctuation-Psychonauts

Zero Punctuation is basically the only source I use when getting reviews of games. Mostly because I already know whether I'm going to get a game or not, so I just watch these for the laughs. But he seems to know what he's talking about as well, and Psychonauts is one of the what, three? games that he really likes and suggests people play. In as insulting a manner as possible.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Sabby

Ooh, I love Zero Punctuation. Have to check that link out.

Edit::: Watched it. I agree whole heartedly.