A Great Article on National Healthcare

Started by SakiaWarner, August 29, 2009, 07:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MercyfulFate

Quote from: Oniya on October 14, 2009, 10:55:28 PM
Today in the mail, I got a flyer suggesting I might be able to get insurance for $55 a month. 

That's really nice, but I've got a family, which would push it up to around $168 a month - and as it is, we're starting to sell things around the house to make grocery money.

Tell me about it, I got laid off and lost my insurance, now I have to or I'm going to be penalized come tax time. Add to that my prescriptions will cost a whole bunch more.

OldSchoolGamer

I think making insurance mandatory would be a big mistake.  It might just be enough to gin up a popular revolt.  Things are going to be getting progressively worse once this illusory, fiat-money driven "recovery" sputters, and making people send their last dollars to Big Insurance could be the spark that sets off the powder keg.

September

Obama speechwriter moves to state with universal health insurance; finds she can no longer afford health insurance.

QuoteWhat makes this a double blow is that my experience contradicts so much of what I wrote for political leaders over the last decade. That's a terrible feeling, too. I typed line after line that said everything Massachusetts did would make health insurance more affordable. If I had a dollar for every time I typed, "universal coverage will lower premiums," I could pay for my own health care at Massachusetts's rates.

If you think health care is expensive now, just wait until it's "free".
Some of my ons.

RubySlippers

Well I don't understand why they are trying to remake the whole system if your goal is to cover the uninsured Americans why not start there first?

I saw several pie charts and most seem to agree many people who are middle class and young are uninsured by choice so why not mandate at least a basic care package for them. Something reasonable like catastrophic coverage and a basic package for primary care. Then work on those whose incomes or pre-existing conditions make government help vital.

Market reforms and the like might help with the rest of the problems.

I have another idea allow the states take a tax hourly workers paid for by the employer and worker say $1.50 per hour, and non-hourly workers a certain amount of tax. And use that for health care mandating each state cover all its citizens. Adding in already existing funds naturally. I would not mind paying half that and paying premiums and the like based on my ability to pay. But let states decid how to do this with only certain Federal mandates on what must be covered. Just an idea after seeing San Fracisco did something like this and seems to have a good county medical program covering everyone that needs coverage.

Transgirlenstein

Are they still sprouting the "England has death panels and people don't get treated in England due to their health care!".  Cause honestly that is the stupidest thing I have heard yet.  From my time here in London, I have far better health care then I ever got back home.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

RubySlippers

I looked into the Death Panels all they seem to do in England is see if a new drug, procedure or devices is worth the investment of their public dollars over older well known options that are cheaper. That is very practical. Unless I'm wrong about that.

Transgirlenstein

Yeah, there is no one who goes "you can't go to a doctor."  Crazy American conservatives seem to think we kick the old into the Thames or something.  I mean..giving them and everyone else free healthcare!  That's just silly!  Who would do such a thing?

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

September

16.5% of all deaths in the UK between 2007-8 (about 95,000 people) came about after medical panels withdrew food and fluids from sedated patients.  That's twice as many as in other European nations.  Like Obama advisor Robert Reich said

Quote"if you're very old, we're not going to give you all that technology and all those drugs for the last couple of years of your life to keep you maybe going for another couple of months. It's too expensive...so we're going to let you die."

Queenie, you can stop sneering for long enough to see how all that sounds a bit like a death panel to some people, right?
Some of my ons.

Trieste

Quote from: September on October 15, 2009, 12:22:33 PM
Queenie, you can stop sneering for long enough to see how all that sounds a bit like a death panel to some people, right?

Easy, there.

Transgirlenstein

I would like to point out that doctors can decide that as well in the states. 

September

It would be very interesting to compare the percentages.
Some of my ons.

RubySlippers

16.5% of all deaths in the UK between 2007-8 (about 95,000 people) came about after medical panels withdrew food and fluids from sedated patients.  That's twice as many as in other European nations.  Like Obama advisor Robert Reich said

What were the reasons its odd medical people in our nation just can't accept death as part of medical care. I remember my aunt had end stage renal failure and decided not to get dialysis and they forced her into therapy, when she just accepted she is ready to die and wanted to have fun. Eat things she would not dare normally and the like since she was going out anyway.

I could say this number is just accepting that people will die and not waste resources on them which will do no good.

Celestial Goblin

Like Obama advisor Robert Reich said
If any rationing at all is a 'death panel' then those people should be protesting the fact that USA goverment rations healthcare much tighter. Do all states have free care for seniors in the first place?

Not that, mind you, I don't agree with the people from the article. But this is a problem of NHS trying too hard to save money.

RubySlippers

I don't get something San Fracisco set up a universal health care option that is decent to look at and covers people of different income brackets with obligations to pay. But even at the upper end its oddly cheaper than most private insurance. Even with the wait times and limits it oddly has merit. Why can't all counties just follow this model.

Its funded by taxes in this case part of that a minimum $1.25 per work hour the employer must pay, that can be higher. But since it covers all employers I don't see the issue added to that premiums, co-pays and the like people in the program are obligated to pay.

It might be one way to go.

http://www.healthysanfrancisco.org/

MercyfulFate

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 15, 2009, 02:04:07 PM
I don't get something San Fracisco set up a universal health care option that is decent to look at and covers people of different income brackets with obligations to pay. But even at the upper end its oddly cheaper than most private insurance. Even with the wait times and limits it oddly has merit. Why can't all counties just follow this model.

Its funded by taxes in this case part of that a minimum $1.25 per work hour the employer must pay, that can be higher. But since it covers all employers I don't see the issue added to that premiums, co-pays and the like people in the program are obligated to pay.

It might be one way to go.

http://www.healthysanfrancisco.org/

Well because a case that works must be swept under the carpet, or else it lends credence to allowing it on a national level.

People do say it will cost too much nationwide, but is it worth it? I think so.