[D&D] Deicide

Started by Jeramiahh, May 26, 2008, 03:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK Geno

I meant as far as being the face. If you need to talk to someone, my character is the one called in.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

kongming

Quote from: Jeramiahh on June 09, 2008, 04:13:51 AM
And, uhh, you might wanna look at KM's build before commenting on your own... >_> =P I'll pas sit on when she sends me a final copy.

*preens*

I was taught the art of big numbers by monks in Tibet. Or, possibly, a game designer/med student in Prague and a law student in America.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Sabetha

Quote from: Jeramiahh on June 09, 2008, 02:32:01 AM
Of course, the wisp is already immune to Charm and the line, as per it's "immune to all (SR based) but two spells" I could definitely see it playable, though you're going to have a tough time adding many class levels to it... it can't cast spells without using Still, and it can't wield a weapon. But if you want to use it, I think we could go with no LA; 9 RHD is enough of a crippling factor, even if they ARE Outsider.

Is that your final ruling on spellcasting without hands?  Because in the MM (p315) they address creatures with natural spellcasting abilities with the following: "A spellcasting creature that lacks hands or arms can provide any somatic component a spell might require by moving its body."  I realize that they aren't specifically addressing creatures with class levels tacked on, but my group has always spread that rule to cover PC's who lost their limbs and such...

Besides, as this campaign is not going to be so combat focused, I'm not worrying about my offensive abilities too much.  I'd be more of a spy/misleader of the masses, and if anyone with more than three levels in a PC class came along I'd bail...

Jeramiahh

I'll accept that note form the MM, which I overlooked somewhere along the line, and point out that you are not a spell-casting creature, innately. You have no spells or spell-likes, innately. Though, honestly, you are right; it wouldn't make sense to cripple you entirely, like that. =P It's up to you, come up with an idea, and I'll take a look at it.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

The Great Triangle

I'd be willing to play a dangerously apocalyptic Ur-Preist, although I don't have a copy of the class handy.  If someone can get me access to it, I'd be happy to stat up a nihilistic anti-cleric who's really into the entire deicide thing.

If the Ur-Preist class isn't available (I think it's at least in Book of Vile Darkness and possibly heroes of horror) then I'll probably play a cleric of a far realm deity.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

DreadD

Ur-Priest, if my memory serves, aren't originally from the Book of Vile Darkness or Heroes of Horror.  It was originally released in The Complete Divine, and I believe re-printed in the Book of Vile Darkness.  I don't have access to them at the moment, but I can get you the information if you and Jeramiahh like.

Oh, and I don't get any class levels either.  Woe is me >_>

Jefepato

Quote from: DreadD on June 09, 2008, 07:12:37 PM
Ur-Priest, if my memory serves, aren't originally from the Book of Vile Darkness or Heroes of Horror.  It was originally released in The Complete Divine, and I believe re-printed in the Book of Vile Darkness.

Other way around.

So far, I've looked through every book I've got (including quite a few that aren't actually allowed) and have come up with absolutely no ideas.

DreadD

Oh, my mistake...  You should make another monster character, complete inhuman party! :p

Jeramiahh

Aye; BoVD is a 3.0 book, and was released first, containing the Ur-Priest PrC. Complete Divine was released as a 3.5 book, and also contains an updated Ur-Priest PrC. Thus, it easily falls under the category of allowable content.

If you need info from any book, drop me a line; I have, pretty much, everything, barring the last few 3.5 books to be printed, and most modules and campaign world specific stuff; I have most FR and some Eberron books, but no Dragonlance or Ravenloft, for instance.

Right now, three characters are finished, waiting on a final write-up for one, and I'll likely start posting threads either tomorrow, or if I get a fourth character submitted.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Bethlany

Hi, I'm still new here but this looks like a game I'd really like to play in.  I was thinking of a Elven Female (sorry no monster race! :) ) Fallen Paladin, now a Corrupt Avenger from Heroes of Horror.  As a backstory, she would have something very personal against this god of Death that would cause her to have fallen from her Paladin training and now seeks revenge against his followers, to the point of jumping at the chance of killing the god.  Her sworn foe, would of course be followers of the god we're all out to kill.  I basically see her as a heavy-hitter in light armor with some spells, fuled by vengence and rage. 

If there's still room, I'd love to draw up this character and submit her.  Thanks! :)

Xillen

Quote from: Jeramiahh on May 26, 2008, 03:20:17 AMThis is that chance. However, unlike some games which attempt to pull this off, pulling out the incredible statistics of the nigh-invulnerable deities, this plan is to take a different approach, which will be the basis of the entire campaign. Working under the assumption that a god is strengthened by the faith of his followers, by the very power of belief, is it not logical to assume, then, that, were a god to lose all of his followers, through a systematic, organized campaign brought about by a large group of highly skilled individuals... would he not lose his power? Perhaps even his godhood?

That's actually how I envision deities to be for most games. The more followers they have, the more power to them. Mortals could become deities this way (though very rarely of course), by becoming a saint and having enough followers to ascend.

Jeramiahh

Exactly. According to the canon history of Vecna, he was originally a mortal, losing his hand and eye during his lifetime, before he gained enough worshipers to ascend to godhood.

And of course! Feel free to write up a character and send it in; I've got three finished, now, waiting on a fourth to decide what he wants to play, and I'm willing to go with five players. Let me know if you have any questions, or need anything from a book; I'm always glad to talk over characters!

kongming

It's a very common way of presenting deities, and it works. I liked it ever since reading "Small Gods" (Discworld), which took it to extremes and made a bit of a joke, but showed that it can be really interesting that way.

It also gives deities a reason to pay attention, and to care about their followers.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Sabetha

Huh...it's funny.  I've been thinking about "Hogfather" in regards to this campaign, but not "Small Gods", which actually fits a bit better.  I guess it's because in this campaign it's deliberate.

Jeramiahh

*makes note to read the Discworld books* I keep hearing so much good about them, but I don't have time for reading, anymore... I wonder why...

*glances at the counter of how long he's been on this site, just shy of 50 days.* Oh, yeah. That might be it.

Nephili

Ooh, subterfuge, intrigue, etc... sounds very interesting. Nothing against hack and slash, but I really like the sound of this... looks like you have a fair number of responses, but if you have room for one more, I'd gladly roll up a character! I'm thinking maybe a Drider (Using the Savage Species monster class, probably), since you're allowing non-standard races... Probably a rather recently created one. The whole "horribly mutated as punishment for failing her deity's test" thing would, I imagine, leave her rather open to acting against divine powers.

Sabetha

Ok...so maybe I'm being too lazy to go back and read through the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure I missed a conversation where people talked about their characters.  My character is a Will-o'-Wisp...what other characters are confirmed?

Jeramiahh

Go ahead and write up a character! It's a flaw of mine, I can't say no to people; and I always believe, the more the merrier!

Right now, I have, confirmed, your Will-o'-the-wisp Sorcerer, Kongming's Human Sorcerer/Brass Dragon Disciple, and BK Geno's Yuan-ti (no classes due to LA/HD). DreadD is currently tossing around ideas; I've yet to hear what he's working on, since I foiled his last idea. =P

Sabetha

Okay.  I thought I was the last one who needed to submit a build...

I'm glad I wasn't holding everyone up.

Jeramiahh

DreadD was supposed to have finished his build, but scrapped it and started over. I'm talking to him about it now, but his net seems to have died.

Sabetha

No worries...I took long enough to add two class levels to a creature from the MM.  And they were pretty easy class levels, too...

Nephili

Ok, working on rolling the character up now, brainstorming on the her backstory and such as I do it... minor little random question thats probobly been answered but I didn't see it skimming through the thread: How do you want us to do HP?

Jeramiahh

Oh, the eternal question. =P I think I've told everyone a different rule, now, and, honestly, I don't care all that much. If you wanna roll 'em, g ahead. If you wanna take averages, do that. I think I recommended for most people either of those, or 3/4 of your max HD (d4=3, d6=4, d8=6, d10=7 d12=9)

Nephili

My number one preference, above all others, in any RP/game/whatever: I like surprises. That said, rolling is the clear choice!
6d8 for the Drider monster class... At 2008-06-13 04:25:27, Nephili (uid: 2000) rolls: 6d8 Result: 32
and one lonely little d4 for the one level of sorcererAt 2008-06-13 04:26:37, Nephili (uid: 2000) rolls: 1d4 Result: 1

edit: I can't spell preference, evidently... or surprises. Although if I hadn't previewed this edit before I posted it, I would have spelled spell speel, so maybe my fingers just aren't cooperating tonight.

Jeramiahh

Ouch... looks like you got the short end of the stick, there. =P Could be worse... nothing quite like getting 1 on a d10 HD