19th Century Ravenloft: custom D&D classes and rules

Started by The Great Triangle, January 07, 2010, 06:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

In my spare time, I've been working on a set of rules for playing D&D adventures in an early 19th century low(er) magic fantasy setting.  I'd like to post some of my work and see if I can get some feedback.  :-)

I came up with the following reworked classes: 

Boxer; unarmed warrior, needs no weapons
Bravo; somewhat insufferable sword duelist type
Explorer; highly mobile adventurer
Investigator; extremely intelligent detective
Jack; master of a alarming number of different trades
Magician; sneaky illusionist with bardic music like abilities
Musketeer; chivalrous warrior
Mystic; divination specialized spellcaster with unique abilities
Naturalist; highly efficient healer with nature manipulating spells
Occultist; dangerous necromancer in pacts with too many horrid powers to name
Witch Hunter; highly efficient and motivated warrior walking a fine line between good and evil

Similarly, the skill list has been revised to the following skills:

Acrobatics
Alchemy
Bluff
Clockworks
Concentration
Craft
Diplomacy
Disable Device
Heal
Intimidate
Knowledge
Linguistics
Mesmerism
Perception
Perform
Profession
Ride
Sleight of Hand
Spellcraft
Stealth
Survival
Swim
Use Magic Device

Knowledges:

Arcana
Art
Business
Dungeoneering
Engineering
Geography
History
Law
Nature
Nobility
Religion
Science
Streetwise
Tactics

Major Professions:

Administrator
Apothecary
Athlete
Banker
Bartender
Chef
Constable
Exterminator
Farmer
Healer
Jeweler
Laborer
Priest
Psychoanylist
Rancher
Servant
Soldier
Sailor
Tailor
Thief

Major Crafts:

Boatbuilding
Brewing
Construction
Gunsmithing
Metalwork
Printing
Visual Art
Woodworking
Writing

Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Here's a couple of my classes:   

A couple of things bear explaining; first, armor in this rules variant no longer provides an AC bonus (unless magical), and instead acts as hardness.  To compensate, many weapons have been given the ability to ignore certain amounts of hardness, and classes now get a defense bonus, which is also meant to compensate for the reduced amount of magic items in the game.

Second, each race and class contributes to a value called the "outlander score" which indicates how foreign and dangerous you are perceived as being.  The outlander score counts as a penalty to all charisma based skill checks except for intimidate, for which it applies as a bonus.  If you have a high outlander score, your actions are also more likely to come to the attentions of the Powers of Ravenloft, creating an increased possibility that you will mutate into a monster.  The outlander score can be mitigated in a local area through successful social interactions, but if you travel to a different region, it comes back in force.  The higher your outlander score is, the less often you have to make fear and horror checks, because you're already scarier than some of the monsters you're fighting.

Bravo:                                                                                HD d12

Level:  Base Attack:      Fort:  Ref:  Will:  Defense:  Special:                             Outlander:

1st     +1                       +2     +2    +0      +0            Flourish                             +0
2nd     +2                      +3     +3    +0      +1            Uncanny Dodge                 +0
3rd     +3                       +3     +3    +0      +1            Bonus Feat                        +0
4th     +4                       +4     +4    +1      +2            Parry                                  +0
5th     +5                       +4     +4    +1      +2            Improved Uncanny Dodge  +0
6th     +6/+1                  +5     +5    +1      +3            Ranged Parry                     +1
7th     +7/+2                  +5     +5    +2      +3            Bonus Feat                        +1
8th     +8/+3                  +6     +6    +2      +4            Flourish 2/day                    +1
9th     +9/+4                  +6     +6    +2      +4            Parry Magic                        +2
10th    +10/+5               +7     +7    +3      +5            Bonus Feat                        +2
11th    +11/+6/+1          +7     +7    +3      +5            Greater Flourish                +2
12th    +12/+7/+2          +8     +8    +3      +6            Flourish 3/day                   +3
13th    +13/+8/+3          +8     +8    +4      +6            Bonus Feat                        +3
14th    +14/+9/+4          +9     +9    +4      +7            Indomitable Will                +3
15th    +15/+10/+5        +9     +9    +4      +7            Riposte                             +4
16th    +16/+11/+6/+1   +10   +10  +5      +8           Flourish at Will                   +4
17th    +17/+12/+7/+2   +10   +10  +5      +8           Grand Flourish                   +4
18th    +18/+13/+8/+3   +11   +11  +5      +9           Riposte Magic                    +5
19th    +19/+14/+9/+4   +11   +11  +6      +9           Bonus Feat                        +5
20th    +20/+15/+10/+5 +12   +12  +6      +10         Mighty Flourish                  +5

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Intimidate, Linguistics, Perception, Perform, Knowledge (Streetwise), Knowledge (Nobility), Knowledge (History), Sleight of Hand, Swim

Skill Points and First Level: (4+int mod) x4    Skill Points after 1st Level: 4+int mod

Armor: Light   Weapons: Simple and Martial

Flourish: Once per day at 1st level, a Bravo gets the ability to deliver a devastating series of blows.  During a flourish, the bravo gains a +4 morale bonus to strength and a +4 morale bonus to dexterity, and gains an additional attack at a -5 penalty when making a full attack, at a cost of -2 to the Bravo's AC.  The additional attack granted by a  flourish stacks with other effects that add additional attacks.  A flourish lasts a number of rounds equal to 3 + the Bravo's constitution modifier (minimum 1), after which the Bravo is fatigued.  At 8th level, a Bravo can use his flourish ability twice per day.  At 12th level, 3 times per day.  At 16th level, a Bravo can Flourish at will.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 2nd level, a Bravo can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd, 7th, 10th, 13th, and 19th level, a Bravo can select any fighter bonus feat.

Parry: At 4th level, a bravo can use his skill at arms to deflect incoming attacks.  If a bravo would be hit by a melee attack, he may make an attack roll opposing the roll of the attacker that just hit him.  If the Bravo's roll is higher, the attack misses.  A Bravo takes a cumulative -5 penalty on his attack rolls until the end of his next turn for each parry attempt he makes.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 5th level, a Bravo cannot be flanked

Ranged Parry: At 6th level, a Bravo can apply his parry ability to ranged attacks.

Parry Magic: At 9th level, a Bravo can apply his parry ability to touch attacks, or to gain spell resistance against a single incoming spell.  Using the parry ability to gain spell resistance imposes an additional -5 penalty on all attack rolls until the end of the Bravo's next turn.

Greater Flourish: At 11th level, A Bravo's Flourish ability improves to grant +6 dexterity and +6 strength, and the additional attack is now made at no penalty.  The AC penalty for the flourish ability increases to -3. 

Indomitable Will: At 14th level, while using the Flourish ability, a Bravo gets to reroll all will saving throws, taking the better result.

Riposte: At 15th level, after successfully parrying a melee attack, a Bravo may immediately apply the attack roll he just made as an attack against his attacker, dealing damage normally if the attack is successful.

Grand Flourish: At 17th level, a Bravo's Flourish ability improves to grant +8 dexterity and +8 strength, as well as allowing either one additional attack at no penalty or two additional attacks at a -5 penalty.  The AC penalty for the
flourish ability increases to -4.

Riposte Magic: At 18th level, if a Bravo successfully uses the parry magic ability to avoid the effect of a spell, he may
immediately retarget the spell to the caster or any target within 30 feet.  The spell is then treated as if the caster
originally targeted the target of the Bravo's choosing.

Mighty Flourish: At 20th level, a Bravo's Flourish ability improves to grant +10 dexterity and +10 strength, as well as
allowing either two additional attacks at no penalty or three additional attacks at a -10 penalty.  The AC penalty for
the flourish ability increases to -5.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Investigator:                                                                             HD d6

Level:  Base Attack:      Fort:  Ref:  Will:  Defense:  Special:                                Outlander:

1st     +0                       +0     +2    +2      +1            Investigate, Trapfinding         +1
2nd     +1                      +0     +3    +3      +2            Sudden Strike +1d6,              +1
                                                                                 Comprehend the Occult
3rd     +2                       +0     +3    +3      +3           Canny Defense                       +1
4th     +3                       +1     +4    +4      +4           Cunning Strike                        +1
5th     +3                       +1     +4    +4      +5           Evasion, Sudden Strike +2d6  +1
6th     +4                       +1     +5    +5      +6           Contacts (3 levels)                  +2
7th     +5                       +2     +5    +5      +7           Urban Tracking                        +2
8th     +6/+1                 +2     +6    +6      +8           Sudden Strike +3d6                 +2
                                                                                Canny Grace                     
9th     +6/+1                 +2     +6    +6      +9           Contacts (6 levels)                   +3
10th    +7/+2                +3     +7    +7      +10         Defensive Roll                           +3
11th    +8/+3                +3     +7    +7      +11         Sudden Strike +4d6                  +3
                                                                                Uncanny Dodge                        +3
12th    +9/+4                +3     +8    +8      +12         Contacts (9 levels)                   +4
13th    +9/+4                +4     +8    +8      +13         Improved Evasion                    +4
14th    +10/+5              +4     +9    +9      +14         Sudden Strike +5d6                 +4
15th    +11/+6/+1        +4     +9    +9      +15         Contacts (12 levels)                 +4
16th    +12/+7/+2        +5     +10   +10    +16        Slippery Mind                            +5
17th    +12/+7/+2        +5     +10   +10     +17       Sudden Strike +6d6                 +5
18th    +13/+8/+3        +5     +11   +11     +18       Contacts (15 levels)                 +5
19th    +14/+9/+4        +6     +11   +11     +19       Bonus Feat, Occult Power        +5
20th    +15/+10/+5      +6     +12   +12     +20       Sudden Strike +7d6,                +6
                                                                               Cunning Mastery             

Class Skills: Alchemy, Bluff, Concentration Diplomacy, Disable Device, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Linguistics, Mesmerism, Perception, Profession, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth, Use Magic Device

Skill Points at 1st level: (6+int mod) x4     Skill Points after 1st level: 6+int mod

Armor: Light   Weapons: Dagger, Pistol, Club, Mace, Rapier, Shortsword

Investigate: At 1st level, an Investigator may make perception checks to find hidden clues at the scene of a crime or other mystery.

Trapfinding: At 1st level, an Investigator gains the ability to locate magical traps with a search DC over 20.

Sudden Strike: At 2nd level, an Investigator deals 1d6 additional damage when striking a flat footed opponent.  This damage increases as the Investigator goes up in level.

Comprehend the Occult: At 2nd level, an Investigator gains the ability to use scrolls, wands, and staves from any class' spell list without making a use magic device check, as long as the Investigator spends an additional minute casting the spell.  A number of times per day equal to 3 + the Investigator's intelligence modifier, an Investigator can cast a spell from a scroll without consuming the scroll by spending 5 minutes casting the spell.

Canny Defense: At 3rd level, an Investigator adds his intelligence modifier to his dexterity modifier to armor class.  Any condition that causes him to lose his dexterity modifier also removes this bonus.

Cunning Strike: At 4th level, when making a Melee or Ranged attack roll, an Investigator may add his intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to the roll.

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, an Investigator can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Investigator is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Investigator does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Contacts: At 6th level, an Investigator cultivates a network of informants, friendly individuals, and other assistants.  These contacts are not cohorts, and generally don't adventure along with the Investigator, but they will provide information and limited aid.  Within any given area, a 6th level Investigator can usually cultivate 3 character levels worth of contacts (such as 3 level 1 commoners, or 1 level 2 cleric and a level 1 aristocrat) in a week with a successful diplomacy check.  (DC determined by contacts sought)  Every 3 levels after 6th level, the total number of levels of contacts an Investigator can cultivate increase by 3.

Urban Tracking: At 7th level, an Investigator can make diplomacy checks to locate specific individuals within a city as a full round action.  The DC of the check is dependent on how much effort the quarry takes to keep a low profile.

Canny Grace: At 8th level, an Investigator may add his intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to all of his saving throws.

Defensive Roll: At 10th level, the Investigator can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than he otherwise would. Once per day, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the Investigator can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the Investigator must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, he takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, he takes full damage. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if he is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the Investigator’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 11th level, an Investigator can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the Investigator still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Investigator does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Slippery Mind: At 16th level, an Investigator's mind becomes extremely difficult to influence.  If such an Investigator is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it 1 round later at the same DC.  He only gets one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Occult Power: At 19th level, an Investigator's experience with the occult grows; he may cast spells from scrolls, wands, or staves without rolling or possibility for mishap as a full round action.  Such spells resolve normally and still provoke attacks of opportunity.

Cunning Mastery: At 20th level, an investigator may increase his effective intelligence modifier by half for any purpose.

Ons and Offs

MasterMischief

D&D makes a lot of assumptions that I think pose a problem for low magic settings.

Couldn't Clockworks fall under Craft?

Can you elaborate on the professions?  Mechanically, what do they provide?

I am not really well-versed enough to provide any useful feedback on your Class builds.

The Great Triangle

The professions are just variations of the profession skill, mostly just to give players an idea of what they can pick.  Some of them, like Banker and Jewler, replicate the appriase skill, while others, like Sailor and Soldier, have seperate uses.  In general, the skill is used as a catch all for mundane abilities and office politics.

Clockworks could likely fall under the craft skill, but it's also meant to cover the operation and repair of vehicles and automata based on mechanical principles.  (steam engines, etc.)

The alchemy skill is also directly taken from a craft skill, but is made into its own thing because of its importance in the setting.

Ons and Offs

Brandon

One thing I always have to ask when I see this kind of thing is whether or not its really needed. Coming at it from a pathfinder point of view, I don't think a lot of the base classes are needed. The Jack can be done as a bard (or really any class with lots of skill points or a high intelligence), The magician is just a bard with a certain spell list, The boxer, Bravo, Musketeer, and witch hunter  are all fighters with a proper feat selection and backgrounds. Although I do admit unarmed fighters need a better feat list and witch hunter might work better as a rogue/fighter multiclass. Any class can be an explorer or investigator. The naturalist is just a druid. The occultist is just a wizard with specialization in necromancy or a divine spellcaster with a philosophy or god focusing on Necromancy.

Several of the knowledges fall under knowledge Local already (Streetwise, business, and laws). You can take a -2 penalty on Knowledge Local to have it apply to a non-local area too (something I learned I Kubla Con).

With the crafts woodworking and construction could probably fall under just Capentry. Craft Art could be any kind of art, I don't see the need to make it so specific. Metalworking is just blacksmithing. Writing and printing should probably go together (how many times is a ballad going to be composed and not put to paper?). The rest seem fine to me.

I dunno, Ill reiterate that at first glance I think a lot of it is already in play but just not optimal at this time (boxers for example). I get that you're making it for a 3.X edition but which addition specifically?

EDIT: I also wanted to note that according to the Domains of dread book (thats the Original Ravenloft campaign setting book) the highest technogical powers are the rennisance age meaning around the 15th to 16th century technology
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Great Triangle

I am meaning to advance the timeline, and mostly what I'm looking to do is have a new spin on each of the base classes, as well as make things easier for players looking to play a specific concept.   (sort of like Oriental Adventures or Arcana Evolved, but somewhat more extensive) Less classes and such are indeed simpler and more flexible, but they don't offer quite as much guidance to players, which is a major virtue of D&D.  The new classes are intended to replace, rather than supplement, existing classes.  Therefore, they only really need to be balanced with each other.  Trimming the skill list might be a good idea though.

I'll try and post some more of the classes, of course!

In terms of mechanics, I'm more or less starting from 3.5/pathfinder, while in terms of setting, I'm wanting to make a sort of anachronism stew of the world from 1500 to about 1835; the era that was really romanticized by gothic and horror writers.  The printing press has changed the world, religion has become somewhat less of an influence on life, the gun is the accepted status quo, and the steam engine could remake the world if people can get out of the gradually industrializing cities and lay some railroad track.  New discoveries such as mesmerism and galvanic electricity show incredible potential, while advances in alchemy to create cheap steel and cheap coal have major effects on society.  The setting is essentially based on the thrill of discovery, and optimism for a better tomorrow, turned against the monsters lurking in the terra incognitae, the catacombs beneath, and within the soul. 

Magician                                                                                                  HD: d6

Level:  Base Attack:      Fort:  Ref:  Will:  Defense:  Special:                                 Outlander:

1st     +0                      +0     +2    +0      +0             Bonus Feat, Spells,                +1
2nd    +1                      +0     +3    +0      +1             Tricks, Fascinating Trick         +1
3rd     +1                      +0     +3    +0      +2             Bonus Feat, Magical Secret   +1
4th     +2                      +1     +4    +1      +3             Theft Trick,                             +2
                                                                                 Tricky Spells 1/day
5th     +2                      +1     +4    +1      +3            Magical Secret                       +2
6th     +3                      +1     +5    +1      +4            Mesmerizing Trick                  +2
7th     +3                      +2     +5    +2      +5            Assistant,                              +3
                                                                                Tricky Spells 2/day                   
8th     +4                      +2     +6    +2      +6           Magical Secret                        +3
9th     +4                      +2     +6    +2      +6           Frightening Trick                     +3
10th   +5                      +3     +7    +3      +7           Tricky Spells 3/day                  +4
11th   +5                      +3     +7    +3      +8           Magical Secret                        +4                 
12th   +6/+1                +3     +8    +3      +9           Healing Trick                           +4
13th   +6/+1                +4     +8    +4      +9           Tricky Spells 4/day                  +5
14th   +7/+2                +4     +9    +4      +10         Magical Secret                         +5
15th    +7/+2               +4     +9    +4      +11         Horrifying Trick                         +6
16th    +8/+3               +5     +10   +5     +12         Tricky Spells 5/day                   +6
17th    +8/+3               +5     +10   +5     +12         Magical Secret                          +7
18th    +9/+4               +5     +11   +5     +13         Mass Mesmerizing Trick            +7
19th    +9/+4               +6     +11   +6     +14         Maddening Trick                       +8
                                                                               Tricky Spells 6/day
20th    +10/+5             +6     +12   +6     +15         Deadly Trick                              +9

Magician Spells:

level:     0th   1st  2nd  3rd  4th  5th  6th  7th   
1st         0       -     -       -      -      -      -     -     
2nd        1       -     -       -      -      -      -     -     
3rd         2      0     -       -      -      -      -     -     
4th         3      1     -       -      -      -      -     -     
5th         3      2     0      -      -      -      -     -     
6th         4      3     1      -      -      -      -     -     
7th         4      3     2     0      -      -      -     -     
8th         4      4     3     1      -      -      -     -     
9th         4      4     3     2      0     -      -     -     
10th       5      4     4     3      1     -      -     -     
11th       5      4     4     3      2     0     -     -     
12th       5      5     4     4      3     1     -     -     
13th       5      5     4     4      3     2     0    -     
14th       5      5     5     4      4     3     1    -     
15th       5      5     5     4      4     3     2    0   
16th       6      5     5     5      4     4     3    1     
17th       6      6     5     5      4     4     3    2   
18th       6      6     5     5      5     4     4    3     
19th       6      6     6     5      5     4     4    3     
20th       6      6     6     6      5     5     4    4 

Magician Spells Known:

level:     0th   1st  2nd  3rd  4th  5th  6th  7th   
1st         2      -      -       -     -       -      -      -     
2nd        4      -      -       -     -       -      -      -     
3rd         4      1     -       -     -       -      -      -     
4th         5      2     -       -     -       -      -      -     
5th         5      2    1       -     -       -      -      -     
6th         6      3    2       -     -       -      -      -     
7th         6      3    2      1     -       -      -      -     
8th         7      4    3      2     -       -      -      -     
9th         7      4    3      2    1       -      -      -     
10th       8      5    4      3    2       -      -      -     
11th       8      5    4      3    2      1      -      -     
12th       9      5    5      4    3      2      -      -     
13th       9      5    5      4    3      2     1      -     
14th       9      5    5      4    4      3     2      1     
15th       9      5    5      4    4      3     2      2 
16th       ALL  5    5      4    4      4     3      2     
17th       ALL  5    5      4    4      4     3      3   
18th       ALL  5    5      4    4      4     3      3     
19th       ALL  5    5      4    4      4     3      3     
20th       ALL  5    5      4    4      4     3      3

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Alchemy, Bluff, Clockworks, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Streetwise), Linguistics, Mesmerism, Perception, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth

Skill Points at 1st level: (4 + int mod) x4      Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + int mod

Armor: None   Weapons: Simple 

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a Magician selects any metamagic feat as a bonus feat.  At 3rd level the Magician may select
another bonus feat.

Spells: A magician casts spells spontaneously, using intelligence as her key spellcasting ability.

Tricks: [Ex] Beginning at 2nd level, after using a spell slot of a minimum level, a Magician can achieve certain extraordinary effects by making a Sleight of Hand check. 

Fascinating Trick: [Ex] By expending a 0 level or higher spell slot, a 2nd level Magician can fascinate an audience by
making a Sleight of Hand check.  The check determines the DC of the will save of the audience to not be fascinated. 
Victims are fascinated for a maximum of 1 round by every point they fail the will save.  Any potential threat requires
the magician to make a new Sleight of Hand check, but a clear and present danger immediately breaks the effect.

Magical Secret: At 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, and 17th level, a Magician selects a combination of a metamagic feat and
known spell.  She can cast this spell without having to use a full round action and the level increase of the metamagic
feat is reduced by 1.

Theft Trick: At 4th level, the Magician gains the ability to expend a 0 level or higher spell slot to use the sleight of
hand, open lock, or disable device skill on any target within 30 feet.  If an object is stolen, it can be levitated by
the magician at a speed of 5 feet per round.

Tricky Spells: Starting at 4th level, once per day, a Magician can apply any metamagic feat she knows to any spell she
knows without increasing its casting time, reducing the level increase of the metamagic feat by 1.  This stacks with
spells enhanced by a magical secret.  Every three levels thereafter, a Magician can use this benefit one additional time
per day.

Mesmerizing Trick: At 6th level, by expending a level 1 or higher spell slot, a magician can replicate the effect of a
suggestion spell by making a Sleight of Hand check with a DC of 15 + the target's hit dice.  The DC of the will saving
throw against the effect is 10 + 1/2 the Magician's level + the Magician's charisma modifier.  By increasing the DC of
the sleight of hand check by 2, the Magician can increase the difficulty of the saving throw against the effect by 1.

Assistant: At 7th level, the Magician acquires a mysterious assistant, who usually takes the form of an attractive member of the opposite gender.  The Assistant is between small and medium size, has half the Magician's hit points, has the same armor class as the Magician, and the same saving throws and attack bonus.  The assistant benefits from the Improved Evasion class ability, can deliver touch spells for its master, and can be targeted with spells with a range of personal instead of its master.  If killed, or with a thought by its master the Assistant will evaporate into dust, and its master can get a new Assistant in three days by taking 6 points of constitution damage.  (at the end of this process)

Frightening Trick: At 9th level, by expending a level 2 or higher spell slot, a magician can force a single target within
90 feet who can see and hear her to make a fear check with a DC set by her sleight of hand check.  The Magician can
affect additional subjects by taking a -3 penalty on her sleight of hand check for each additional subject affected.

Healing Trick: At 12th level, by expending a level 3 or higher spell slot, a magician can make a sleight of hand check and grant a number of temporary hit points equal to the result of the check to any creature she touches.  Temporary hit points granted by this ability do not stack, and the hit points granted by this ability disappear after 1 minute.

Horrifying Trick: At 15th level, by expending a level 4 or higher spell slot, a magician can force a single target within
90 feet who can see and hear her to make a horror check with a DC set by her sleight of hand check.  The Magician can affect additional subjects by taking a -3 penalty on her sleight of hand check for each additional subject affected.

Mass Mesmerizing Trick: At 18th level, by expending a level 5 or higher spell slot, a magician can replicate the effect
of a mass suggestion spell by making a Sleight of Hand check with a DC of 15 + the target's hit dice.  The DC of the will saving throw against the effect is 10 + 1/2 the Magician's level + the Magician's charisma modifier.  By increasing the DC of the sleight of hand check by 2, the Magician can increase the difficulty of the saving throw against the effect by 1.

Maddening Trick: At 19th level, by expending a level 6 or higher spell slot, a magician can force a single target within 90 feet who can see and hear her to make a madness check with a DC set by her sleight of hand check.  The Magician can affect additional subjects by taking a -3 penalty on her sleight of hand check for each additional subject affected.

Deadly Trick: At 20th level, by expending a level 7 spell slot, a magician can force a single target within 90 feet who can see and hear her to make a fortitude save with a DC set by her sleight of hand check or die.  Affected targets appear to die of natural causes.  This is a fear effect.

Magician Spell List:

0: Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation 

1: Alarm, Animate Rope, Cause Fear, Charm Person, Color Spray, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Erase, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Grease, Hideous Laughter, Hypnotism, Lesser Confusion, Magic Aura, Magic Mouth, Magic Weapon, Obscure Object, Reduce Person, Remove Fear, Silent Image, Sleep, Unseen servant, Ventriloquism

2: Alter Self, Animal Messenger, Animal Trance, Blindness/Deafness, Blur, Calm Emotions, Cat's Grace, Darkness, Daze Monster, Detect Thoughts, Eagle's Splendor, Enthrall, Fox's Cunning, Glitterdust, Heroism, Hold Person, Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Make Mundane*, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Misdirection, Phantom Trap, Pyrotechnics, Rage, Scare, Silence, Suggestion, Spider Climb, Touch of Idiocy, Whispering Wind

3: Beast Form I, Blink, Charm Monster, Confusion, Crushing Despair, Deep Slumber, Dispel Magic, Displacement, Fear, Flame Bullet, Fly, Gaseous Form, Glibness, Good Hope, Greater Magic Weapon, Haste, Illusory Script, Invisibility Sphere, Keen Edge, Lesser Geas, Major Image, Phantom Steed, Remove Curse, Secret Page, Sepia Snake Sigil, Shrink Item, Slow, Speak With Animals, Tiny Hut, Water Breathing

4: Beast Form II, Break Enchantment, Dimension Door, Dominate Person, Elemental Form I, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain, Hold Monster, Illusory Wall, Mass Enlarge Person, Mass Reduce Person, Modify Memory, Neutralize Poison, Permanency, Phantasmal Killer, Rainbow Pattern, Repel Vermin, Secure Shelter, Shadow Conjuration, Speak With Plants, Stone Shape

5: Animal Growth, Baleful Polymorph, Beast Form III, Charm Monster, Dream, Elemental Form II, False Vision, Feeblemind, Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Heroism, Mass Suggestion, Mind Fog, Mirage Arcana, Mislead, Nightmare, Overland Flight, Persistent Image, Passwall, Plant Form I, Polymorph, Seeming, Shadow Evocation, Shadow Walk, Symbol of Sleep, Telekinesis

6: Animate Objects, Beast Form IV, Control Water, Disintegrate, Elemental Form III, Eyebite, Flesh to Stone, Form of the Dragon I, Geas/Quest, Greater Dispel Magic, Heroes' Feast, Irresistable Dance, Mass Cat's Grace, Mass Charm Monster, Mass Eagle's Splendor, Mass Fox's Cunning, Move Earth, Permanent Image, Plant Shape II, Programmed Image, Project Image, Symbol of Persuasion, Transformation, Veil

7: Control Weather, Demand, Elemental Body IV, Etherial Jaunt, Familial Geas*, Form of the Dragon II, Giant Form I, Greater Polymorph, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Insanity, Irresistable Dance Limited Wish, Mass Hold Person, Mass Invisibility, Plant Shape III, Power Word Blind, Reverse Gravity, Scintillating Pattern, Screen, Simulacrum, Statue, Symbol of Stunning

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Another attempt at a lower magic casting class; the Naturalist

Naturalist:                                                                         HD: d8

Level:  Base Attack:  Fort:  Ref:  Will:  Defense:    Special:                         Outlander:

1st     +0                   +2     +0    +2    +0               Track, Animal Empathy   +0
2nd     +1                  +3     +0    +3     +1              Nature Sense, Spells,     +0
                                                                              Infuse With Life (1d8)   
3rd     +2                   +3     +0    +3      +2            Trackless Step                 +0
4th     +3                   +4     +1    +4      +3            Infuse With Life (2d8)      +0
5th     +3                   +4     +1    +4      +3            Resist Nature's Lure         +1
6th     +4                   +5     +1    +5      +4            Infuse With Life (3d8)      +1
7th     +5                   +5     +2    +5      +5            See Spirits                        +1
8th     +6/+1              +6     +2    +6      +6           Bond With Nature             +1
                                                                             Infuse With Life (4d8)       
9th     +6/+1              +6     +2    +6      +6           Speak With Spirits,            +2
                                                                             Venom Immunity
10th    +7/+2             +7     +3    +7      +7           Infuse With Life (5d8)       +2
                                                                             Cure Poison
11th    +8/+3             +7     +3    +7      +8           Chastise Spirits                 +2
12th    +9/+4             +8     +3    +8      +9           Infuse With Life (6d8)       +2
13th    +9/+4             +8     +4    +8      +9           Spirit Touch, Cure Disease   +3
14th    +10/+5           +9     +4    +9      +10         Infuse With Life (7d8)        +3
                                                                             A Thousand Faces
15th    +11/+6/+1      +9     +4    +9      +11        Timeless Body, Spirit Walk  +3
16th    +12/+7/+2      +10   +5    +10    +12        Infuse With Life (8d8)         +3
17th    +12/+7/+2      +10   +5    +10    +12        Hide in Plain Sight,              +4
                                                                            Cure Curse               
18th    +13/+8/+3      +11    +5   +11    +13        Infuse With Life (9d8)         +4
19th    +14/+9/+4      +11    +6   +11    +14        Immortal Self, Restore Form  +4
20th    +15/+10/+5    +12    +6   +12    +15        Infuse With Life (10d8)        +5
                                                                            Resurrection

Naturalist Spells:

level:     0th   1st   2nd   3rd   4th   5th   
1st         -       -       -       -        -      -   
2nd        1      -       -       -        -      -   
3rd         1      -       -       -       -       -     
4th         2      -       -       -       -       -     
5th         2     1       -       -       -       -     
6th         3     1       -       -       -       -     
7th         3     2       -       -       -       -     
8th         4     2      1       -       -       -   
9th         4     2      1       -       -       -     
10th        5    3      2       -       -       -     
11th        5    3      2       1      -       -   
12th        5    4      3       1      -       -   
13th        5     4     3       2      -       -     
14th        5     5     4       2     1       -     
15th        5     5     4       3     1       -     
16th        5     5     5       3     2       -     
17th        5     5     5       4     2       1       
18th        5     5     5       4     3       1     
19th        5     5     5       5     3       2     
20th        5     5     5       5     4       3     

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), Perception, Ride, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival, Swim

Skill Points at 1st level: (4 + int modifier) x4       Skill Points after 1st level: 4 + int modifier

Armor: Light    Weapons: Staff, Sling, Club, Dagger, Spear

Track: At 1st level, a naturalist gains track as a bonus feat.

Animal Empathy: A 1st level naturalist can use the diplomacy skill to influence the attitudes of animals.

Nature Sense: A 2nd level naturalist gets a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and survival checks.

Infuse With Life: At 2nd level, a naturalist gains the ability to heal with a touch a number of times per day equal to
1/2 her class level plus her wisdom modifier.  At 2nd level, this ability heals 1d8 hit points.  Every 2 levels thereafter, it heals an additional 1d8 points of damage.

Spells: Starting at 2nd level, a naturalist can cast spells, preparing spells from any spell on her class spell list, preparing spells each day.  If a naturalist wears non metal armor, she suffers no spell failure chance.

Trackless Step: Starting at 3rd level, a Naturalist leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Resist Natures Lure: Starting at 4th level, a Naturalist gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey.

See Spirits: At 7th level, a Naturalist gains the ability to see incorporeal and ethereal beings.

Bond with Nature: At 8th level, a Naturalist can conduct a 24 hour ritual to attune herself to the local natural environment.  This enables the Naturalist to replicate the effect of a Commune With Nature Spell once per day in the site she is bonded to, as well as granting the Naturalist a +5 bonus on survival, spot, listen, and initiative checks within 3 miles of her bonded site.  A naturalist can be bonded to one site at a time.

Speak With Spirits: Starting at 9th level, a Naturalist can expend one of her uses of Infuse With Life to contact a spirit.  This replicates the effect of a sending spell, but the Naturalist can only contact incorporeal beings, and beings on the ethereal plane.

Venom Immunity: At 9th level, a Naturalist gains immunity to all poisons.

Cure Poison: At 10th level, a Naturalist can expend two uses of her Infuse With Life ability to replicate the effect of a Neutralize Poison spell.

Chastise Spirits: At 11th level, a Naturalist can expend a use of her Infuse With Life ability to deal damage to incorporeal or ethereal beings.  She suffers no incorporeal miss chance.

Spirit Touch: At 13th level, a Naturalist can expend a use of her Infuse With Life ability to apply the Ghost Touch
quality to her weapons and unarmed attacks for 1 minute.

Cure Disease: At 13th level, a Naturalist can expend two uses of her Infuse With Life ability to replicate the effect of
a remove disease spell.

A Thousand Faces: At 14th level, a Naturalist gains the ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the
disguise self spell, but only while in her normal form. This affects the Naturalist's body but not her possessions. It is
not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of the Naturalist's appearance, within the limits described for the
spell.

Timeless Body: After attaining 15th level, a Naturalist no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be
magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the
druid still dies of old age when her time is up.

Spirit Walk: At 15th level, a Naturalist can expend four uses of her Infuse With Life ability to replicate the effects of
an Etherial Jaunt spell for up to 1 hour.

Hide in Plain Sight: While in any sort of natural terrain, a Naturalist of 17th level or higher can use the Stealth skill
even while being observed.

Cure Curse: At 17th level, a Naturalist can expend three uses of her Infuse With Life ability to replicate the effects of
a Break Enchantment spell.

Immortal Self: At 19th level, a Naturalist becomes immune to Polymorph, Stun, Disease, and Paralysis

Restore Form: At 19th level, a Naturalist can expend five uses of her Infuse With Life ability to simultaneously
replicate the effects of a Greater Restoration and Regeneration spells.

Reincarnation: At 20th level, a Naturalist can expend ten uses of her Infuse With Life ability to replicate the effect of
a Reincarnation spell without any level loss or possibility of ability damage.

Spell List:

1: Alarm, Animal Messenger, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Create Water, Delay Poison, Detect animals or Plants, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Detect Snares and Pits, Endure Elements, Entangle, Goodberry, Hide from Animals, Jump, Know Direction, Light, Longstrider, Magic Fang, Magic Stone, Mending, Obscuring Mist, Pass Without Trace, Produce Flame, Purify Food and Drink, Resist Energy, Shillelagh, Speak With animals, Summon Nature's Ally I

2: Animal Trance, Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Chill Metal, Fire Trap, Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Heat Metal, Hold Animal, Lesser Restoration, Owl's Wisdom, Protection from Energy, Reduce Animal, Snare, Soften Earth and Stone, Speak with Plants, Spider Climb, Spike Growth, Summon Nature's Ally II, Summon Swarm, Tree Shape, Warp Wood, Wind Wall, Wood Shape

3: Call Lightning, Command Plants, Contagion, Darkvision, Daylight, Diminish Plants, Dominate Animal, Greater Magic Fang, Meld Into Stone, Plant Growth, Poison, Protection From Energy, Quench, Reduce Animal, Repel Vermin, Sleet Storm, Stone Shape, Summon Nature's Ally III, Water Breathing, Water Walk

4: Air Walk, Animal Growth, Blight, Command Plants, Control Water, Dispel Magic, Flame Strike, Freedom of Movement, Giant Vermin, Ice Storm, Nondetection, Rusting Grasp, Summon Nature's Ally IV, Tree Stride

5: Awaken, Baleful Polymorph, Call Lightning Storm, Control Winds, Death Ward, Find the Path, Fire Seeds, Greater Dispel Magic, Insect Plague, Liveoak, Move Earth, Spellstaff, Stone Tell, Summon Nature's Ally V, Wall of Thorns

Ons and Offs

Brandon

Quote from: The Great Triangle on January 10, 2010, 03:01:23 PM
In terms of mechanics, I'm more or less starting from 3.5/pathfinder, while in terms of setting, I'm wanting to make a sort of anachronism stew of the world from 1500 to about 1835; the era that was really romanticized by gothic and horror writers.  The printing press has changed the world, religion has become somewhat less of an influence on life, the gun is the accepted status quo, and the steam engine could remake the world if people can get out of the gradually industrializing cities and lay some railroad track.  New discoveries such as mesmerism and galvanic electricity show incredible potential, while advances in alchemy to create cheap steel and cheap coal have major effects on society.  The setting is essentially based on the thrill of discovery, and optimism for a better tomorrow, turned against the monsters lurking in the terra incognitae, the catacombs beneath, and within the soul. 

1st point: 3.5 is not Pathfinder and Pathfinder is not 3.5. Each are backwards compatible but they aren't the same

Anyway, I see another problem then just because this is Ravenloft. The Domain lords, Dark lords, and Mist isn't going to allow for the major improvement of mankind in Ravenloft. If my suspicions are right (based on the various Ravenloft novels and setting books) the land of mists was created by the Dark lords, a group of near omnipotent beings that the gods imprisoned in another reality. Ravenlofts purpose is to create a world of utter despair and loathing which empowers the Dark lords and will eventually help them break free of their prison.

Now don't get me wrong, laying train tracks for steam powered engines only to have the domain lords destroy them, the mists make them disappear, or the various monsters hunt along them is a good story element but IMO Ravenloft was never meant to go beyond Renaissance technology because the dark lords wouldn't want it. They're imprisoned but they have enough power and influence to make sure that the advance of technology wont go any further.

Ravenlofts setting is about a truely horrific world and how the people despair in it, revel in it, or fight back the darkness before theyre overtaken. One of the chief elements or horror is the idea that things are bad and will never get better. All this technology advancements would be good for a new campaign world but I dont think its good for Ravenloft.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Great Triangle

True, I am diverging a fair degree from Ravenloft, but I still want to keep a lot of the assumptions of the setting in place, so it seems a little silly to call it something else.  (the main important assumptions are realm divisions, disconnection from the planes and the gods, fear, horror, and insanity, and outlanderism and xenophobia)  My basic interpretation of the setting is that the Dark Powers aren't actually evil, but mostly indifferent wardens of the prison realm that is Ravenloft.  Hence, they don't care too much about humans getting uppity, so long as they aren't evil.  Now of course, historically, the development of technology was a trigger for some of the biggest and most horrific evil humanity has ever gotten up to, which will likely give the dark powers licence to really crack down.

In my mind, the horror of Ravenloft comes from the fact that the plane exists to contain and punish the evil, and those who live in it don't get any breaks just because they're not yet imprisoned.  Enlightenment could likely be stopped by the Darklords, but a lot of them could be indifferent enough to let printing presses and science get going, which could lead to a general increase in technology level in many domains.  Another possible source of technology is people from more technologically advanced settings finding their way into Ravenloft.  (although this is definitely more of a 1E sort of plot device)

Ons and Offs