News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

8,800 Pennies To Pay A 88 Dollar Fine...

Started by Marguerite, July 30, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satnslillgrl

There was so much win in that video that I cannot even describe it. I work at a fast food restaurant, and I have jerks give me thirty dollars in pennies and nickels and we HAVE to accept it. I mean, they don't get their food until I get done counting, which I sometimes take forever to do just as a small revenge. I wouldn't do that just because they impounded my car, as long as they had a valid reason to do it. But if I called up to somewhere and they were rude or anything, I'd totally pay them in pennies.

I say Bravo to the three of them. They pulled off an epic prank.
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

Paradox

Quote from: Oniya on July 31, 2009, 08:48:46 AM
The ones in banks won't charge you if you already have an account.

Hmm. I'll have to see if my bank has a coinstar in the back, because none of the branch locations to which I go have a big green machine sitting in the lobby. Thanks for the heads up.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

It may not be a Coinstar(TM), but guaranteed they have some kind of coin counting machine.  It would be silly for them to have to count all their coinage by hand.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

Yeah my bank has one in the lobby that's free for customers and 8.9% for non customers. 

Inkidu

Quote from: Paradox on July 31, 2009, 07:44:47 AM
"God bless coinstar"? Are you serious?  They take 8.9% of every dollar (9.8% in Canada). I know 8 or 9 pennies doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up if you're putting in a lot of money; you'd be better off taking a little extra time to roll them yourself!
That's still cheaper than what my bank pays to do it. I actually one chose it because it was catchier than "God bless me at four in the morning miscounting my dimes for the eighteenth time in a freaking row." I've never actually used coinstar but I am coin rolling challenged.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Glossolalia

Quote from: Marguerite on July 30, 2009, 06:42:09 PM
From the video, pennies are legal tender and are to be accepted as payment. I have no idea if it is true or not but if I were ever angry at a place for jipping me, I would be tempted to try paying them in pennies. Watch out phone companies.

In Canada, you can refuse more than 50 pennies in one transaction. :) Legally.
"Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance"

Know who the quote is by, without google? Drop me a PM if so. :)

My O/O's

Trieste

So he parked his car somewhere to go drinking. Probably shouldn't have been driving home anyway. But even if he was - he missed a 'no parking' sign somewhere.

And he takes it out on the woman in the window?

My question would have been, "How long did it take you to count this? Do you really want to stand there and wait while I count your pennies for (x) time? Really? 'Kay." And I would have counted it, in between other stuff I had to do, and made them wait. Not only would it have made a less interesting video for them to post up, but they probably would have given up after an hour or two, especially when I 'lost count' for the ninth time.

Doomsday

Quote from: Trieste on August 01, 2009, 08:27:45 AM
So he parked his car somewhere to go drinking. Probably shouldn't have been driving home anyway. But even if he was - he missed a 'no parking' sign somewhere.

And he takes it out on the woman in the window?

My question would have been, "How long did it take you to count this? Do you really want to stand there and wait while I count your pennies for (x) time? Really? 'Kay." And I would have counted it, in between other stuff I had to do, and made them wait. Not only would it have made a less interesting video for them to post up, but they probably would have given up after an hour or two, especially when I 'lost count' for the ninth time.

Could have happened, video doesn't provide a conclusion... :-)

Trieste

I turned it off halfway through, after the third cop car showed up. Seriously, do they have nothing better to do?

Rhapsody

Just because a type of tender is legal to pay bills and debts doesn't mean private businesses have to accept large quantities of them.  Otherwise, there would be no "cheque only" or "credit only" types of deals -- they would be absolutely, positively required to take coin and paper money as well.  It's a matter of what the business is equipped to take on-site as opposed to what the debtee thinks they should be able to pay the bill in.

The guy might have been put out by an $88 fee to get his car out of impound, but I guarantee you, he's not telling the whole story.  He wasn't as innocently parked as he made it out to be.  He was blocking a fire lane, or blatantly in a no-parking zone, or had outstanding tickets/citations on his vehicle.  Something.  They don't just haul away a vehicle because they feel like it.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Beguile's Mistress

A grade school teacher of mine came up with the idea of collecting pennies for a charity.  Then he stuck the pennies to strips of tape and gave them to the group we were collecting for.  Those poor people had to unpeel every single penny before they could count them.  A couple of us helped the group because we felt sorry for them

Kurzyk

Desan

Who would have the time to find that many pennies o_o
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Oniya

Pennies can pile up more quickly than you realize, if you're paying cash for things and not handing over pennies after you get them.  Assuming that the cashiers are giving 'perfect' change (i.e, 5c is always a nickle, never 5 pennies), roughly 80% of your transactions will give you at least one penny.  One-fourth of those (20% of the overall transactions) will give you four pennies.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Doomsday

I always tell cashiers to just keep the pennies, or I just toss them on the ground for the next superstitious dolt to come around and say "OH, HEADS UP!"

Desan

Quote from: Doomsday Jesus on August 03, 2009, 03:26:53 PM
I always tell cashiers to just keep the pennies, or I just toss them on the ground for the next superstitious dolt to come around and say "OH, HEADS UP!"

Hahahahahhaha

Transgirlenstein

I just cant believe how many cops that took to solve it.  Seriously, is there no crime of any sort in that town?
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Desan

Quote from: Oniya on August 03, 2009, 02:04:12 PM
Pennies can pile up more quickly than you realize, if you're paying cash for things and not handing over pennies after you get them.  Assuming that the cashiers are giving 'perfect' change (i.e, 5c is always a nickle, never 5 pennies), roughly 80% of your transactions will give you at least one penny.  One-fourth of those (20% of the overall transactions) will give you four pennies.

This is true...

The Overlord

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 30, 2009, 06:40:54 PM
. . . and to think they're going to take tazers away from the police, instead of broadening the situations under which they can use them.

We might want to broaden our thinking on tasering and gassing cops, given the zeal with which some of them hand out unnecessary force.

Nadir

Looking at this from the main board, I thought the title said '8,800 penises' .... *gigglesnorts*

Fun stuff, though.

Marguerite

Quote from: Eden on August 05, 2009, 03:24:25 PM
Looking at this from the main board, I thought the title said '8,800 penises' .... *gigglesnorts*

Fun stuff, though.

Oh yes pay an 88 dollar fine with 8800 penises, sounds like a potential roleplay.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Nadir

Quote from: Marguerite on August 05, 2009, 03:27:27 PM
Oh yes pay an 88 dollar fine with 8800 penises, sounds like a potential roleplay.

... I had a mental image of that scene from the Labyrinth where Sarah falls down the well of hands - but instead of hands there was... *coughs*

Marguerite

Quote from: Eden on August 05, 2009, 03:33:16 PM
... I had a mental image of that scene from the Labyrinth where Sarah falls down the well of hands - but instead of hands there was... *coughs*

-Laughs-

Oh, nice one.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

TheWriter

Am I the only person who noticed that $33 + $25 + $25 is five bucks short of $88?