New server, and the formatting of text.

Started by Haibane, March 13, 2009, 05:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

This is an odd request and idiosyncratic but please bear with me. I keep copies of all my RPs in Word documents. I've always done this, even on other sites. When I want to read them I can do it offline and since I write most of my posts in Word then copy-paste them into the reply window I end up with a Word document anyway.

What  have noticed since the server move is that the text on the forums is formatted differently to the old server. When I copy it into Word it comes out in Verdana 5 point and mid-grey colour. I know this is a function of the boards as copying text from other sites produces different results.

This isn't too much of a problem as I can resize and re-colour it. The problem is that coloured fonts show as a text box style panel and these are not repairable, but must be deleted and re-written. This is a pain when some players type their spoken character lines in coloured fonts. Even so, I can retype the missing lines or paste them first into Notepad to kill the formatting then copy-paste to Word.

However the biggie is that URLs also come out in these odd text-boxes and these are not salvageable. No matter what I do, I cannot convert these to a plain text hyperlink (that nice default mind blue) and ctrl+right click on them to link back to the forums.

I was wondering, is it a big task to fix these odd and newly introduced features?

Vekseid

That's a style-copying 'feature'. Restoring the old behavior would be a lot of work but can see, there's certainly a lot of messiness that could use correcting.

Dawg

Paste Special and paste as Plain Text and the pasted text will paste into your document in whatever style you have formated.  If you want you can paste into note pad first and then copy paste from there for another way to do it but that is an extra step.  If you are also trying to preserve hyperlinks then good luck.  Or paste as i just note, right click the url you want to copy, highlight the text in your word document that you just posted and want to hyperlink and insert hyperlink.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Haibane

Aha, thanks Dawg, I was really enquiring how much work it would be to have it as it was before with the formatting preserved. If it's too much work, Veks, don't fret. I know there's plenty better things to spend one's time on.

EDIT: Hmm, in Word7 I have to select Paste Special and Paste Formatted Text (RTF). The other options do not work. That still does not bring over coloured font which must be using some odd code?