Life at the Ludus [Ancient Rome]

Started by Blonde, September 18, 2012, 03:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde

LUDUS GLADIATORIUS
ooc

Gladiator, an armed combatant who entertained audiences in the Roman Republic and Roman Empire in violent confrontations with other gladiators, wild animals, and condemned criminals. Some gladiators were volunteers who risked their legal and social standing and their lives by appearing in the arena. Most were despised as slaves, schooled under harsh conditions, socially marginalized, and segregated even in death.

Irrespective of their origin, gladiators offered audiences an example of Rome's martial ethics and, in fighting or dying well, they could inspire admiration and popular acclaim. They were celebrated in high and low art, and their value as entertainers was commemorated in precious and commonplace objects throughout the Roman world.

Men would sell themselves into slavery, hoping to work their way free from debt. Captured soldiers of opposing land would be sold on the market, condemned to the arena. Convicts and criminals would be sentenced to pay for their crimes with their lives. Their origin was not guaranteed, but what was, was that majority would never see freedom again.

The Ludus, a school of training for Gladiators.

Ran and trained by the rigid Lanista, there strengths were tested every day. They're subjected to rigorous training, fed on a high-energy diet, and given expert medical attention. Forced to take an oath before the shrine of the Gods, they swear their lives to the arena.

AND THIS WILL BE THE SETTING FOR OUR STORY

MALE CHARACTERS NEEDED!

Right. Well I am looking to set up a role play set in Ancient Rome, focussing around the trials and troubles of the slaves and Gladiators that worked and lived within a Ludus. There will be violence, drama and of course total lack of freedom for our characters. And of course there will be sex. I will be opening up a few female positions (as slaves, or you can create a second character as a whore that frequents the Ludus) and of course also same sex encounters happened. I will bend history a little, and have the slaves used as entertainment for the Gladiators. Romance can happen, or you can keep it just fucking.

- Please post at least two paragraphs per post/character.
- Know something about Ancient Rome.
- Have a dirty mind, as dirty sex will happen.
- Nothing anime, emo or scene please.
- PM or ask any questions you have.
- If it gets a lot of interest, then I will open up more characters/

Blonde - Female slave, personal slave to the Domina.
GaggedLouise - Female slave
Kate - Female slave
whtbitch4u2own - Female slave

Elven Sex Goddess - Domina, wife to the Lanista.
Primarch - Lanista

azzmeister89 - Male Gladiator
MagicalPen- Male Gladiator

On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

azzmeister89

BlackestKnight

I think I'll throw my hat in this roleplay as a gladiator

MzHyde

My knowledge of ancient Rome comes entirely from Civ V and the game Gladius for PS2. Does that count? :P

azzmeister89

all you really need to know about rome is they had slaves, fucked alot and stabbed each other in the back just as often if not more, that about sums the romans up really

azzmeister89

apart from the constant risk of death i have to say gladiators lived a pretty good life, you kill someone and they let you drink and fuck, not a bad way for a slave to live, haha

MagicalPen

Based on some of the more idiotic comments on here, I think some of you need to go back and read some history books on Rome. >.<

The Sparatcus TV series is quite entertaining, but is quite far from the truth. Titties weren't swaying in the wind like they are in Spartacus.

At any rate, I'd be interested in playing a more plausible Gladiator.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

azzmeister89

awwww way to ruin my historical fantasies pen..... :P haha just kidding but its more fun to imagine that's the way it was right?

whtbitch4u2own

Color me interested as a Female slave!
~White~
Offsite Contact info:
Gmail: jenwishuknew
Discord: jenwishuknew#6959

Kristen

Quote from: MagicalPen on September 18, 2012, 05:04:10 PM
Based on some of the more idiotic comments on here, I think some of you need to go back and read some history books on Rome. >.<

The Sparatcus TV series is quite entertaining, but is quite far from the truth. Titties weren't swaying in the wind like they are in Spartacus.

Pen is absolutely right. The story of Spartacus (Starz) is actually based on the 'privacy' of a secluded Ludus. This allows alot of creative license to be applied. For all of it's marvellous action and entertaining erotica, it's designed for Drama and contrast of characters. That being said... the comment above made that Gladiators were treated as 'Celebrities' are not far off either. They were more or less treated like professional Athletes.

Most Gladiators would actually fight once or twice a year in a very established main event. That's actually how alot of the 'Undefeated' match-ups were able to be sold so constantly. A gladiator could have won six fights... and he would be sold as 'Undefeated in 3 years!' because of the simple fact that he only fought twice a year.

I love the idea of an isolated setting giving the master of the household (and thus the guards as well) a little more license to make additional use of the slaves in the house.

If you're looking for a dominant application, I would love to RP a character like Crassus.

Crassus was one of the 3 most powerful men in Rome at the same time as Pompey and Caesar. Sadly for Crassus, Pompey had already fought numerous battles and earned popularity for his work in Spain while Caesar was an upstart at the time. Crassus was Rome's wealthiest man bar none at his time. He was known for his real estate deals which often included having teams of men to put out fires and buying houses at great discounts (70-80%). He was also suspected later in history of having teams of men set fire to those same houses based on how he could always show up on time to make an offer.

His offer was simple, he would buy the burning house and would give the family 20%-30% compensation of the entirety of their would-be-loss. When they accepted it, he had his men put out the fire... he fixed it up, and sold it at an incredible profit. If the family would not sell... he simply let the fire reduce the house to rubble. If they took too long to accept his offer that he figured there would be too much damage to make his re-sell profit, he simply abandoned the deal.

Crassus most famous quote was that no man was rich enough until he could buy an Army and still have wealth left over. Without many a spoiler being given lol... Crassus was given 4 legions by the Roman Senate to go and fight Spartacus and in addition, out of his pocket, he paid to feed and equip 6 new legions himself. This was done, of course... after the Senate approved the 4 legions given to him. He wouldn't risk doing this and having Rome say: "Well... maybe we don't have to give him men" lol. Similarly... he'd have a hard time raising the interest from 6 legions worth of Roman soldiers if he didn't have the backing of the Senate.

Spartacus had been doing incredible... and Crassus was determined that this would be his way of solidifying political standing in Rome.

If you're looking for a dominant character to play the master of a house... I could certainly play a Crassus role lol. I'd love to know what you think.

- Kristen -
Ons/Offs | (NEW) Apologies and Absences

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: MagicalPen on September 18, 2012, 05:04:10 PM

The Romans seem to be relaxed in the sense of sexuality and expressing such.  The sexual art uncovered in Pompeii reveals such.    Did they spend days in constant orgies.   Likely not,  my thought would be most in middle and lower castes of society worried about where their next meal was coming from.    In the show,  Varro placing himself indentured to provide for his family and pay off debt is a represents such.   

Still the lens you color your lens of looking at the history of Rome is colored by a puritanical view point.     Nudity in ancient Greece is often come across  from the athletes of the ancient Olympia.   Rome seem to take and emulate from Greek culture.   They even took the pantheon of gods.   As well bikini style outfits are not a latter 20th century creation.   As depicted on mosaics, through the top is not really a bra but more a wrap. 

Anyways  if have such opinions  it should not be expressed in a seeker thread.  There are other sections on this board that one can create a thread and open up a active debate on such in a proper arena on the forum.     

Finally color me interested in on joining in this.  If there are still openings as one of the slave women of the ludus.

Blonde

Thanks all for your interest.

Just want to say a few things and then I will post a character sheet for those interested, and i'll try and keep the genders even and what not.

Firstly, whilst I want to keep things as close to history as we can, there is no way that a role play can be kept accurate and to the books. So please, I do not want anyone correcting others. If someone posts asking for information, then by all means help them out.  However, correcting people and going "Well actually..." makes a person look like a smart arse and arrogant. It's a role play, it's a story for fun. Believe me I am a huge history nut and Ancient Rome is one of my favourites, but yeah, let's just go with it. So long as you keep it realistic, and don't go being silly.

Secondly, yes Gladiator's were like celebrities in a way, but not in the way we look at our celebs and sports stars. These men were there for entertainment, but they were in the arena to die. Women would pay to sleep with them, sometimes their sweat was sold on the market. If you need an answers just Google it, honestly the internet is full of information.

Thirdly, this roleplay will be set within the Ludus. Now, I would like a variety of Gladiator's in this. Perhaps a prized fighter, a new slave, someone who has only battled once, someone who has battled a thousand times and still not gained freedom. Variety is good. It will get a bit boring if everybody was the same.

Fourthly, there are no limits in this role play. Racism will happen, sexism will happen, rape will happen, violence will happen. If you cannot handle this, it is best you do not join. They're only written words, no offence should be taken in them. This will be a very mature role play so those who don't get offended easily are best suited.

If you are all still here and interested, then below is the character sheet and fill it out :)

INTERESTED PARTIES

Blonde - Slave
whtbitch4u2own - Slave

Elven Sex Goddess - Lanista

Azzmeister - Gladiator
Vergil -  Gladiator
Magic Pen - Gladiator

CHARACTER SHEET

[b]Appearance:[/b] Yes a picture, there are thousands out there.
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]

[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Blemishes: [/b]Tattoos, scars, brands. Once we have the name of the house they will be branded with that.

[b]Personality: List good and bad qualities, and please [b]do not[/b] make your character cliche and over the top
[b]Biography: Include how your character became a slave and how they ended up as a Gladiator in this specific house.

[b]Other:[/b]

MzHyde

I'm not joining in on this, I just wanted to comment. Sorry for the confusion.

MagicalPen

I am basing my character off of Gannicus, though using a different name.

ESG - Yes, I've been to Pompeii, but those images appear in the 'Brothel'. I had a good little chuckle at the various positions that were depicted. They certainly didn't beat around the bush! I do agree that sexuality and nudity was viewed differently back then, but not in the way its depicted in Spartacus. People covered up in public and at events, they didn't have wild orgies in the stands or flash their titties everywhere. I do know the Greeks wrestled nude as well - though I have to admit I never knew about the females in 'bikinis' which is quite interesting to look at. At the same time, unlike the modern world, the Ancient World didn't have all these different types of materials or clothes or uniforms (so to speak) which is probably why there were a little more open to nudity.

Appearance:
Name: Brennus

Role: Gladiator
Orientation: Straight
Nationality: Celtic, Iceni Tribe

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175lbs
Blemishes: A few scars on arms and chest and back, House Brand on left shoulder

Personality: Brennus has a love for Wine and Women. His is also arrogant and cocky, but does have a sense of honor which starts to show through more and more in battle. Brennus also has a love for battle itself, excelling in the Arena where many do not. He comes across as being free of all worries and has a general disregard for his own life.

Biography: Brennus is well versed in the fighting styles of the Dimachaeri and Pankration, which he combines in the Arena. Brennus has always been a fighter. As a member of the Iceni Tribe in Britannia he was first and foremost a warrior. It wasn't until his tribe were defeated by the Romans that he was captured and due to his stature as a warrior was sold into slavery to become a Gladiator in Rome. As a Gladiator, he has honed his abilities and used his bloodlust to his advantage in the Arena, quickly gaining fame - from his wins and his looks.

Brennus has let both get to his head, enjoying the rewards lavished on him. He knows that at any moment a Gladiator can die so instead of brooding over such a fact he has decided to live life to its fullest, not caring about the small things. Others are put off by his recklessness and his seeming will to die but it in fact seems to help him with the Gladiator life. He does think about freedom and harbors secret hopes of eventually winning his freedom to live as a freeman.

Other:

I can add more as needed if you like.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

azzmeister89

Appearance: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=spartacus&start=236&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=740&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=wxgU9XftpnwHfM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thetvaddict.com/2012/04/06/spartacus-post-mortem-steven-s-deknight-explains-all-those-bloody-shocking-second-season-finale-deaths/&docid=0kMFEbvVDytirM&imgurl=http://www.thetvaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/spartacus_vengeance.jpg&w=385&h=430&ei=5QJaUJ72OIqU0QWpnoCQBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=710&vpy=138&dur=1011&hovh=237&hovw=212&tx=130&ty=113&sig=111797263833808697974&page=11&tbnh=171&tbnw=171&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:236,i:166
Name: Reynik

Role: Gladiator
Nationality: roman/egyptian

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 172lbs
Blemishes: he has three scars on his chest from a lion

Personality: quiet and humble he does not think of his victories the same way others do. he changes drastically in the arena, fighting like a ferocious animal, he is often described as a beast let from its leash
Biography: His father was a roman Lanista and his mother a slave girl from Egypt, like with most masters he liked to take his slaves and one day got his Egyptian beauty pregnant.
when his wife discovered this she sent the slave away, selling her to a more poor Lanista who forced his Gladiators to fuck the slaves so that he would never have to buy more, just breed them.
growing up Reynik was given training as a Gladiator from the time he could stand, by age fifteen he could fight and occasionally win against his masters best warriors. one day whilst accompanying his master to market a competitor faked an accident and let a wild lion that was being transported to the arena free in the city, Reynik who had no weapon jumped in to stop it killing people, he was able to kill the lion by ripping out a tooth and stabbing it with it, however he got the three scars on his chest as a momentum. thankful with his young slave the master spent the last of there gold forging two short blades for him that had been shaped to look like lions teeth, the handles are made of ivory and the blades of a steal better then any weapon used in the legions.
soon after his master went bankrupt and all his slaves, including Reynik were sold, he has yet to fight a battle for his new master and has only fought one in the past, he knows nothing of where his mother was taken and only hopes the prized blades were bought with him ready to use in the arena.

Other:

Blonde

GEILA

Slave
Straight
German

5'2 | 102 lbs

Geila has a collection of scars on her back from flogging when she was first captured, in her struggle to escape. She is also branded on her right shoulder with the mark of the house.

Personality: List good and bad qualities, and please do not make your character cliche and over the top
Biography: Include how your character became a slave and how they ended up as a Gladiator in this specific house.

Other:

TO BE COMPLETED

[/font]

Elven Sex Goddess

Appearance:
Name:  Julia

Role: The lanista's wife of the ludus.
Orientation:  Bi-sexual
Nationality:  Roman

Height:  5'4"
Weight: 145 lbs
Blemishes:   None,  through her breasts not overly large are slightly larger then the norm of what transpires of the day as being a feature of beauty amongst cives of Rome.

Personality:   Julia personality quite normal within the parameters of the society she exists in.   Both complex and simple at the same time.   Where she might find a moral ledge she would not go over with a peer.   A slave through are viewed as property.   
Biography:   Re-write coming.
Other:   

MagicalPen

Love your choice of picture, Blonde...now I am thinking about GOT >.<

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Blonde

Sorry Elven. As stated in the first post, the lanista is male. You can play as his wife if you want, but I am after an older male lanista. Sorry sweet.

Kate

Name: Lionara
Role: Slave
Orientation: Bi
Nationality: Spain

Height: 5'9
Weight: 120 lbs
Blemishes:

Personality:

Charming, well spoken and graceful Lionara is very intelligent and often manipulative even by Roman standards. She secretly has several plans that she puts energy towards, her freedom from Rome, marriage to someone that is powerful or being a leader of what predicament she is in. As yet none have come into fruition.

Biography:

Lionara used to be a daughter of a wealthy merchant before they fell out of favor for political reasons that were not explained to her. She has secreted a handful of gemstones and hopes to use them to bribe any that can set her free of Rome. She is quick witted which has saved her skin many times as well as the discovery of her gems, but like most slaves is not eactly happy with her predicament. She is concerned about making too strong a connections with other slaves in case their welfare is used to blackmail her at a later point. All her plans don't rest in her hidden  gems however, for she does seek to be able to be a leader of the slaves, preferring to command there actions and behavior than be commanded by them. Her doing a better job than most she  often hints at to those with ears to listen. Often though her plans are thwarted by the drunkenness of those who do.

gaggedLouise

Very interesting - might well join this as a slave woman (who will both have to work hard and find herself embroiled in various erotic positions and manipulations...). I really like the ancient world and have been looking around for RP's in this kind of setting. I think I'll be back with a character sheet within a few days.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Primarch

Has the spot for the lanista been claimed? If not I just might be able to put something together.

*Edit, looks like its not. I'll start working on this:

Name: Augustus Magnus

Role: Lanista
Nationality: Roman

Height: 6"1
Weight: 200 lbs
Blemishes: None

Personality: Like many individuals, Augustus has many sides to his personality. To his closest friends he is considered kind and sociable, in his youth he was outright boisterous but those days are behind him as age has cooled his demeanour. He is a man that has expectations based on ones station, and in that he is a reasonable man. If a slave has been ordered to clean a room, but finds the guards have locked it and barred the way, there is nothing that slave can do until the way is opened. He finds no fault in the slave (not to say he won't find another task for that slave), but if the Captain of his Household Guard were to allow a slave to escape, that Guard has significant power in the house and it well paid, he would be wise to worry about his status in the world of the living, or at least as a respected member of staff.

Although he appears to put rewards upon those slaves that serve him well (most notably Gladiators that make him lots of money and earn him positive attention) in generally he seems to see slaves as much as livestock as a cow or chicken and will sell one on or put one down. His favoured female slaves get to assist his wife and serve as his body slave, while the others tend to the less savory tasks, including a victorious gladiator.

Biography: Include how your character became a slave and how they ended up as a Gladiator in this specific house.

Other:

bubby

Blonde

Sorry I have been absent guys, new man and work and college etc, I've just had no time.

Anywho, profiles are looking good so far, if everyone can finish up tonight I can get us started tomorrow.

azzmeister89