The Font!

Started by Amelita, September 04, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelita

Incidentally, the screen names and mini profiles to the left of the post area are now in the old look for me lol.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Nico

Yep, the font looks different for me as well.

Rhedyn

It looks different for me too, not that I'm complaining, it's actually easier on my eyes. I had assumed it was just a change over the site for everyone but apparently not.

Kitsunetsuki

It looks "tighter" to me. I noticed it a few days ago, but wasn't sure. I checked a few other sans serif fonts & it still looks like verdana, but has more of the feel of calibri.

Also, remember that a font will only show up if you have it installed on your computer. Meaning, you could put text in vivaldi all day long, and I will only see it in the site's default font if I do not have vivaldi installed. (this always freaks me out at work, because there are more fonts installed on that computer & I have very few on my computer at home)

So, that may be why some people are seeing it & others are not. :-)
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Vekseid

Amelita's screenshot looks like Verdana to me, which is what it's been for most of E's life.

Kitsunetsuki

Well, you would know...*ponders why the letters look closer together*
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Vekseid

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on September 05, 2014, 04:19:16 PM
Well, you would know...*ponders why the letters look closer together*

Make sure you have Verdana installed as a font?

Can also rebuild your font cache, but been a long time since I've heard of someone needing to do that.

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Vekseid on September 05, 2014, 04:25:00 PM
Make sure you have Verdana installed as a font?

Can also rebuild your font cache, but been a long time since I've heard of someone needing to do that.
Well, like I said, it looks like verdana. Just the "feel" of it looked like something else. The height of the characters (meaning, how tall the small letters are) is definitely verdana (and I have it installed). Just not sure why it looks different, that's all. (and no, I don't zoom) Doesn't matter, either way it looks good :-)
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Lord Mayerling

Are you using Chrome as your web browser? My font changed recently as well, but on all websites including E. I thought it was a change Google made to Chrome.

Oreo

Odd. The font looks the same to me on Chrome and FireFox. The only thing that changed on Chrome was about six months back. I can no longer see pictures or signatures when I use Chrome. I can still see avatars though. This phenomenon is only on E.  :-\

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Renegade Vile

And here I thought I was going mad. The fonts seem different on my end, as well.
Browser-related?
The font is definitely verdana, but I agree that something is... off about it.
What does it say about writers if they get so used to staring at digital, printing letters that they all collectively notice minute changes *chuckles*.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Ariel

I agree. I can't put my finger on it, but the characters are smaller, narrower, thinner. It kinda hurts the eyes, but only because I'm not used to it, I suppose.

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on September 05, 2014, 05:33:04 PM
Are you using Chrome as your web browser? My font changed recently as well, but on all websites including E. I thought it was a change Google made to Chrome.

That might be it... I messed around with the settings and it almost looks back to normal. Instructions here.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Renegade Vile

I figured it was a Chrome-related update that changed some default font settings and the like.
It doesn't bother my eyes right now, I'll see whether it's worth tweaking in a few weeks.
thank you kindly for the link, though, lady Ariel.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Vekseid

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on September 05, 2014, 05:33:04 PM

Google did make a big change fixing its horrific font rendering in Chrome, yes.

Amelita

Oooooh that might be it!

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Kitsunetsuki

That would be it for me, as well...mystery solved! Way to go, LM, for pointing it out! :D
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on September 05, 2014, 04:12:29 PM
It looks "tighter" to me. I noticed it a few days ago, but wasn't sure. I checked a few other sans serif fonts & it still looks like verdana, but has more of the feel of calibri.

Also, remember that a font will only show up if you have it installed on your computer. Meaning, you could put text in vivaldi all day long, and I will only see it in the site's default font if I do not have vivaldi installed. (this always freaks me out at work, because there are more fonts installed on that computer & I have very few on my computer at home)

So, that may be why some people are seeing it & others are not. :-)

Exactly!!

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nico

Quote from: Vekseid on September 05, 2014, 06:02:03 PM
Google did make a big change fixing its horrific font rendering in Chrome, yes.
Hah! Yes, that's probably it. ;D

Falanor

It was a weird thing that hit me too last night, was wondering if I was the only one that saw it, so I'm glad to know I wasn't alone. It's not unpleasant, just made me worry if I'd finally lost my last marble and wonder why it was a font thing that did it to me. ;)

On another note, using the 'Beige' setting removes the bar graph on a person's profile stats page. Found that on accident. Never thought I'd like Beige...

desert ashes

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.  I just updated Chrome tonight -- after days of seeing it available -- and noticed the difference, but as I liked it so much I wasn't going to say anything just in case I was crazy crazier.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Shewolf

Ditto. Every time I typed a message and pressed preview, the font seemed to shift (sticking closer together and then going back to 'normal' again).
And the font itself seemed changed. I just thought there was tinkering being done to the site. ;D

Amazee

The font is different for me in Safari than it is in Firefox though that may be because they are different browsers though most other sites I go to don't have that change and they look the same on both.