Familiar with Wikidot and/or Bravenet?

Started by Vandren, August 07, 2009, 02:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here's had recent experience with Wikidot or Bravenet.  Say, within the last year or two.  I'm thinking about putting together a personal website (since my old one hasn't been updated in nearly a decade and the host is dead anyway) or wiki for a few creations I've been working on, all text based, no forum, etc.

Just wanted to see if there was any feedback re: either host.

Thanks,
-Van
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Serephino

I've heard good things about Bravenet.  The owner of one of my Pagan groups has a Bravenet website and she likes it.  The only downside I've ever heard about is that the forum she has up has a posting limit or file limit or something like that. 

Vandren

Thanks.  I'm thinking no forum on my part, so that's not an issue, I suppose.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Dakota

That depends on whether its free or paid hosting, I tend to despise most free hosts as the complely cover your sites with ads or annoying popups >< 

Vandren

Quote from: Boian on August 08, 2009, 03:18:57 AMThat depends on whether its free or paid hosting, I tend to despise most free hosts as the complely cover your sites with ads or annoying popups ><

But you have no experience with either of them, correct? 

In order words, this is an irrelevant post since my question is directed toward those who have experience with these providers.

Dakota

Actually before i started paying for a server I tried most free hosts, I'm not sure about wikidot, bravenet however has the problem of forced ads, or they did when i tried then, as well as constant downtime, bare in mind this was about three years ago.   

Vandren

Ah, a relevant answer.  Danke.

(It would have been a lot easier to have just said that in the first place, since your second post actually answers the question that was asked.  I already know my own answer to the question that was unasked but which you answered anyway in your first post.  Except for teaching purposes, I'm not in the habit of asking questions to which I already know the answer.  :) )

Dakota

now still on topic, is it actually a free host you are looking for? if so there is ONE out of the many that by my standereds is pretty good lol or i could point you in the direction is a few cheap but still good quality paid hosts

Vandren

At the moment, I'm limiting myself to these two as options, based on what I've looked at in my own research.  They seem to be offering the features I want without excess filler features that I'll never use.  My big concern is people's experiences using either of them in terms of reliability, user friendliness, support, etc. 

My old site was on Geocities, but that's folding under its Yahoo merger soon (only took them 6-7 years), and I'd like the possibility of more space anyway.  Otherwise, I'd likely continue with them because of good experiences in the past.

Currently, my debate is wiki v. traditional website (and I'm making up my own mind there, no advice necessary on that score).  Both have pros and cons for the purposes to which I want to put them.

Dakota

well buddy I've givein you what I know on brave, but like i siad that was abofut three years ago, and I'm not sure what their servers are like now. they may have improved but thats not very likely, as for the other I've never used them so I can't  really give you anything on it

Vandren

Quote from: boianbut like I said that was about three years ago

Well . . . thanks for wasting some of my time, seeing as I asked the following:

Quote from: vandrenJust wondering if anyone here's had recent experience with Wikidot or Bravenet.  Say, within the last year or two.

But, at least it's made you feel you said something useful, even if that's not the case.  And it increased your post count number.

Dakota

well considdering post count doesn't apply to these boards

Vandren

Actually, it does.  I checked that before I said anything.

Vekseid

Calm down, please.

I can't offer much help. I refuse to use any sort of managed service at this point, much less a free solution. If they have a free offering there's nothing that keeps you from just up and trying it. I would be wary of any site where you can't feasibly retrieve the back end data, however. I see that regret quite often.

Vandren

Who isn't calm?

Anyhoo . . . I think the decision's made, so I'll just close the topic.