Help with getting RP ideas going

Started by Mingnon, February 20, 2018, 03:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mingnon

Alright, I seem to have been in a snag with one idea. It's for a game with an admittedly niche premise; taking pills that causes people to hallucinate having sex with demonic creatures. Any ideas on how to better translate this get more bites? Here's the link: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=283087.0

I've also got a couple more ideas that would need some help getting fleshed out, namely a setting that would allow more people to join in as they wish.

One is what you'd get if you genderswapped Tenchi Muyo and replace the alien girls with various monster boys. I want there to be slice-of-life shenanigans as well as adventure.

The second is loosely based on The Ancient Magus' Bride. Different setting and mythos, with an ancient monstrous wizard and his protoge as main characters. Not sure how that would allow some leg room for more characters to come around as they please. Mainly I'm aiming for encounters with player-controlled monsters.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

HockeyGod

Have you considered posting in Players seeking GM/Groups? Perhaps finding a partner to co-GM would add that person's network to yours and expand your pool of potential RPers.

Mingnon

I was hoping this thread would be used for brainstorming so that my RP ideas would become more open-ended, and let more people be comfortable joining. I should have clarified.

On the other hand, I am not really that used to asking for GMs for help. In fact I kind of got petrified when you suggested I ask for a co-GM, HockeyGod. That's how socially inert I am. ._.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

RedPhoenix

Well you posted it in the 'Players Seeking GMs' forum which gets WAY less traffic than the 'GMs seeking Players' forum and if you want it to be basically self running I think maybe trying the other forum could get a lot more traction. The idea itself, I mean sometimes less is more and I don't see how there's much of a problem with the idea. But it takes a long time to get someone to run someone else's idea - people who want to GM games usually have TONS of their own ideas first. I would maybe just try posting in the GMs looking for players forum maybe people will want to run it cooperatively?

And then maybe refine the idea based on the people who want to write it out with you want.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mingnon

Alright, thank you for the suggestion, Pheonix :3 I'll post something up soonish in that forum.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

HockeyGod

Quote from: HockeyGod on February 21, 2018, 08:15:06 AM
Have you considered posting in Players seeking GM/Groups? Perhaps finding a partner to co-GM would add that person's network to yours and expand your pool of potential RPers.

Ack...my post didn't make sense.

What I meant was - Have you considered posting it in Players seeking GM/Groups means you are looking to find a partner to co-GM to expand your network. I should have added a sentence to link to the GMs seeking players. RedPhoenix was more clear than I.

Serves me for using my phone  ::)

Onir

The idea looks good, it’s quite tempting honestly. The presentation of the idea is to the point and well written. The biggest problems for traction are as I see it are.

A: it’s a group RP which always takes longer to get going then 1v1
B: The absence of story development. I have a hard time seeing where the story and relationships would develop after the initial sex. I want more then smut out of an RP, but that is a taste thing.

As for improving the presentation I know a few things that have worked for me. I’m new to this site, on other sites my most popular RP requests started with a short italic teaser, where i wrote some mysterious quote or description of an important person in the story. This is to show my level of litteracy as well as start the post with something interesting
Then I conciesly described the setting and starting point, not getting too deeply into lore or details. I just explain what the players need to know to write the first post.
Then I go over my expectations of them and what kind of characters they would play and I would play and how much involvement they get to have in driving the plot.
And finally i go deeper inte explaining locations, history and other fluff.