WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

I never got an answer on whether there's cool novels where the Death Guard or Plague Marines or Mortarion have large parts in.

Yvraine is awesome though, I'm totally in love with Rowboat's waifu.  ;D

HairyHeretic

I think there are some of the HH shorts have Death Guard, and there's at least one or two novels that feature them, early on in the Heresy. The Flight of the Eisenstein is the only one I can think of offhand.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Idej

Distant Echoes of Old Night is a short story that deals with the Death Guard.  I don't know anything else.  Had I remembered that question I would have asked my resident Warhammer Store owner.  The dude knows like a butt ton of each factions and which novels are a good read for them all.

wander

Cool. The codex has some nice bits and pieces on the faction, though it reads as if you already know a lot about them and what's there is kinda piecemeal (I'd guess Geedubs are writing the codexes fluff parts as they are now to avoid later retcons). For example, their timeline mentions battles that seem epic by their names, though are shortened to a sentence or two explaining them. They also no longer have any dates given on the timeline, just the eras of the setting as titles.

Probably down to noone knows what the actual year is anymore in the Imperium.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

Something for people wondering why a mixed group chaos band doesnt kill each other!!

Granted your group might have different opinions, but still!

Source is Mr Culexus, https://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/ who is awesome, and makes some of the most awesome GrimDerp comics out there! BooneQuest is always worth a read as well!!!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

On note of a lark...

Go to a golden daemon modeling thing. Enter with a giant ork army. Have hundreds of 32mm bases, mixture of city scape, grasslands, swamp, mud, forest, daemon world, and so forth.

Do them expertly, the biggest detail being the foot prints left in the terrain. But no models. Act like you have fully constructed army, and if anybody asks, just stare at them a moment "its an ork kommando force. Purple color scheme."
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

And just to show your not lazy, REALLY put effort into it. Nobs have mega armor foot prints, some trees that look like they were hacked down with larger weapons, shell casings on the ground of size matching the weapons, rapid fire guns have huge piles of casings, burnas have scorch marks and little patches of fire on the ground. Whole 90 yards.
My Ons and Offs!

TheLaughingOne

and finish by just going wild. giant vehicle base, all the terrain and tread marks... But only thing you can see is a grot head sticking out of a peep hole to look around, just floating in midair.

one base has a guardsman/marine/eldar/tau/whatever held up in the air like somethings holding it by the throat, giant gash in its chest and blood covered blade of a choppa sticking out its back

Some melee unit locked in combat with an invisible foe, splashes of blood revealing parts of the weapon as it presses against the visible one.

... I REALLY need a life...
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

wander

Considering mounting my Helbrute from my Death Guard on one of these as the centrepiece model of my army. May even do it for my Plaguecaster too, seeing as I'mma going FW for the proxy model. I'm also 99+% going to add in a Daemon Prince as a 2nd HQ once I go up to the full 1000pts for a real bling look for it;

https://spikeybits.com/2017/10/got-nurgle-get-new-corrupted-outpost-bases.html

My FLGS has a bunch of cool custom bases in stock, probably from these same people. I was considering bases called 'Corruption' that look like they have lil xenomorph eggs/tyranid spores with tendril roots coming off them, though these new bases would look amazing with those dips filled with Nurgle' Rot paint after a texture paint tart up. :)

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

Just finished Ghost Warrior: Rise of the Ynnari

It's a good read for those who like the Eldar and Ynnari.

The juicy bits for me were sadly at the end and wished that part was longer, but won't complain.  I swear though that Gav Thorpe is shipping Iyanna and Yvraine.  It feels they are more than just friends.  Whether it is just a familial esque bond or a full blown intimate one is up to interpretation

Overall all the characters were good, but I wish the story was a bit more detailed.  That is really my only gripe.

wander

Yvraine is top waifu, though!

Noone can resist her heretical charms! ^^

Idej

Yvraine is really awesome I'll agree with that.

She is quite impressive with what I read of Fracture of Biel-Tan.

I also got the Craftworlds Codex recently too.  I'm a sucker for lore.lol

It's also because I like narrative play and am planning on rolling with a mixed Aeldari army, consisting mostly of Dark Eldar.

Once I get more up to snuff with the lore I will gladly post what I have the story of my army posted here!

wander

Is Yvraine in the new codex?
I'd have thought they'd put her in a seperate Ynnari supplement, though seeing as the Index covers the handful of pages to do Ynnari, I wonder if Geedubs would bother. I know at first the Drukhari and Harlequin codexes would likely be released first so they can cover all three factions.

I'm more interested in the potential of 'chaos' eldar myself, given the pic of the 'slaanesh redacted eldar' in the 40k rulebook and the mention of Nurgle infected Sam Hainn corsairs in the Death Guard codex. I was talking with my one friend who's dug the Eldar since their 2nd edition codex and he posited it could be possible that eldar may be able give their souls over to the other Chaos Gods to stop Slaanesh munching on them, having them steal Slaanesh's claim so to speak.

HairyHeretic

I always thought Crone World Eldar could have been a fantastic concept, but aside from a few scattered mentions it was never developed.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

My mate mentioned them too, could be a possibility given the 'Redacted' Eldar faction in the rulebook.

Okay, so I got myself one of Raging Heroes 'Toughest Girls of the Galaxy' models to act as a cultist champion (seeing as Geedub's aren't selling the full squad box with champ and bitz anymore). I went with Kommander Malinka Kurganova, as I could use her gasmask look and pistol/sword combo to not look so out of place with my pistol armed masked cultists. Plus 'Rule of Sexy' and she'd be the clear champ from a distance so I'm not looking to see which one of my cultists I painted a lil different. ^^;

The scale of her base was standard human sized for 40k, though she herself was rather 'skinny' despite being the correct height as my other cultists. They look like pudgey hunchbacks to her stick insect runway model look... She was also resin and was a bit of a pain in the ass to clean the molding issues from. Also, the gasmask was not an optional head, it was an actual mask to stick on her face. Because the mask was so tiny and not well detailed, I almost threw it out as it looked like a malformed bit of her arm sprue at a cursory glance.

I got her for about £11.50 at my FLGS and perhaps painted and based properly (the slat her feet are connected too actually set above the slot in her base) with her new squad colours, I'll be happier. Her sculpt is 'decent', though not as awesome as the website shows off.

I'd only really recommend using ladies like her for perhaps Eldar forces really if that. I'll likely look elsewhere if I need a second cultist champion for another squad.

Idej

She is mentioned in the Craftworlds Codex, but not listed as a unit.

If they make a codex for Ynnari I would surmise that some generic HQ units would be there and probably the addition to some new characters and returning characters such as Iyanna who has had a significant role in most Ynnari stories.

Idej

So anyone doing Rogue Trader lately?

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

Idej

TheLaughingOne

Not for a while.. Im kinda staring at my books as man of the ones i have are selling for fucking TONS on ebay... Plus the system is just kinda cracked as well.

If anything id take dark heresy 2nd edition and use some rule stuff i found for mixing rogue trader in, it included new classes/roles and such to blend in so you could make a Traders crew in 2nd edit and it would fit well, plus som upgraded rules for Ships and so forth. Was awesome, but i lost track of the site, will have to try and track it down..
My Ons and Offs!

TheGlyphstone

I'm playing in a RT game over Roll20 every Sunday.