Hijacking IP addresses

Started by Oniya, August 13, 2010, 07:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Setting:  Moderating a chat room

Situation:  A person in one room is causing a disruption and is within an eyelash of being banned.  The one thing keeping the mod from hitting the button is that there is another user in another room showing up on the same IP who is behaving properly. 

Problem:  The behaving user says that they live alone.

Question:  Other than stealing access through a wireless router (which I thought of immediately), is there any other way to explain two users in separate residences having the same IP?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Someone having a remote login to the other person's network.

In the case of IRC, web IRC interfaces like Mibbit and the one we use also will cause people to be from the same IPs

Autumn Sativus

Some companies have set IP addresses for sections of their grids as well, as I understand it your neighborhood or apartment building could share an IP?

An alternative to banning them by IP could be banning them by username.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

darkvamplips

If they have 2 accounts then I assume they would ban the one being bad. If both of them are doing it well they ban both. No need to ban one if they are not being mean.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

Oniya

I'll be passing all this on to the folks with 'DA POWAH'.  User name might also be more effective if the troublemaker has a dynamic IP address, as a simple re-log-in would switch that around.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

darkvamplips

Oniya true but what if it is 2 people and not the same person?
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:

The Golden Touch

Would stealing someone's wireless give them the same IP Address?  There is the possibility that one or the other is using an unguarded wireless connection.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Oniya

DVL:  Um - that's what I was agreeing with - that banning by username would be also more effective in the case of a dynamic IP address.

TGT:  Already passed that one along.  I know that sharing a regular router gives the IP address of the router on the far end, so hijacking a wireless signal was my first thought.

The Golden Touch

-Nodnod-

Sin and I have the same IP, I know this.  I hope you guys figure it out!

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Cecilia

also mobile networks--two people sitting at the same Starbucks, for example...?

Acid Lips

I would ban usernames not ip unless whatever they are doing put in danger a user or the forum. I seen a couple of cases when the insults go way overboard to the point of actually making a comment of not good taste, not on this board but i seen it. I would ban username not ip.

darkvamplips

My request thread:

zemo8801

I would like more info on this as well. Thanks I just wasn't to sure on how to ask about it.
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Happy Owner of His Snowflake
Z crypt of ideas

Oniya

It turned out to be a non-secure wireless router, and the problem user is currently having to find some other source to piggy-back on.  (The laptop is now plugged in directly, until a new router with better security features can be obtained.)

Haibane

Nice result. You did the person who was behaving a service as well by showing them their wireless was not secure.